This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Name the LotGK

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Name the LotGK

Postby Alambil Stark » Oct 15, 2014 11:41 am

I like the names "Yesil" or "Giselle" for the LotGK.
"Yesil" means "green" in Turkish. Other characters in the Narnia series have Turkish names, such as Aslan (lion) and Tash (rock). I think that she should have a Turkish name too.
Also, I think that "Yesil" sounds powerful and evil. I would choose "Yesil" over "Giselle" because "Giselle" is an actual name.
Alambil Stark
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 15, 2014 2:37 pm

I like the name Yesil, Alambil! The meaning and connection with other Narnian characters is really cool. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby fantasia » Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Once again I'm reminded that I really wish they had offered a place to add a reasoning to the name you picked. Because I think that would have been a good way for them to choose the best name possible. :)

I also like your name choice Alambil! Were you able to submit it?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Alambil Stark » Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Once again I'm reminded that I really wish they had offered a place to add a reasoning to the name you picked. Because I think that would have been a good way for them to choose the best name possible. :)

I also like your name choice Alambil! Were you able to submit it?
I'm glad you liked it. Yes, I was able to submit it. I agree that it would have been great if there had been a place to explain why you chose the name.
There was an email address in the contest rules (a PDF document in the page) that you could email to find out the results of the contests. I emailed them a while ago, but they haven't answered yet. Does anyone know the results?
Alambil Stark
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Oct 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I haven't heard a thing. :(
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 23, 2014 5:06 am

It's hard not to speculate as to why we haven't heard back yet.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » Nov 01, 2014 10:37 pm

"These names are all rubbish."

"Ah well, what to do now?"

"IDK, just don't name her. Too much work."

:P
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Nooo. It can't be! Lots of the entries were brilliant! I saw them with my own eyes! :P

I think they're probably just dealing with some legal snafus. Anyone with an email address could enter, but looking at the rules PDF, there are a number of aspects that can restrict eligibility. Since they only seem to find out whether or not someone is eligible after they've chosen a name and contacted them, it may be that they keep running into problems with that. You also have to send in paperwork within a certain time frame (proving eligibility and granting them the rights to use the name), so that could be causing issues as well. Who knows, they could be on their second or third choice by now, still trying to find an entrant that fits with the rules of the sweepstakes.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 02, 2014 3:24 pm

I never saw the PDF rules showing what restrictions there were on who submitted emails. But I did assume there would be some sort of age restriction, so I didn't enter. The problem with children entering though is whether or not they are genuinely entries generated by children of a sufficient age to do so, and, if so, would their parents agree to any publicity generated by their winning entry.

I'd also imagine there would be a lot of entries to go through. Was the competition restricted to US and/or UK citizens, for instance? That would also rule me out.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 02, 2014 6:59 pm

The contest was limited to residents of the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and the UK. But there was no age restriction so you're all good Wagga! ;) Did you end up submitting a name?

The winner will be chosen on or about August 18, 2014. The potential winners will be notified by e-mail on or before September 1, 2014. The potential winners will be required to sign and return to Sponsor an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability stating that they have met these terms and conditions and granting Sponsor and its licensees the right to use the entry in the upcoming movie based on the Work (the “Movie”) (the “Affidavit”), and, if the Affidavit is not returned within 14 days of notification, the potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize, and an alternate potential winner will be chosen. In addition, if the winner is a child, the child’s parent or legal guardian will need to sign the Affidavit on the child’s behalf.

It doesn't seem like a long process to get the legal stuff out of the way... They simply must of picked the winning name by now. I think the question now is when Mr. Gordon is planning on releasing the name to the public :-\
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Alambil Stark » Nov 02, 2014 9:08 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:
I think they're probably just dealing with some legal snafus. Anyone with an email address could enter, but looking at the rules PDF, there are a number of aspects that can restrict eligibility. Since they only seem to find out whether or not someone is eligible after they've chosen a name and contacted them, it may be that they keep running into problems with that. You also have to send in paperwork within a certain time frame (proving eligibility and granting them the rights to use the name), so that could be causing issues as well. Who knows, they could be on their second or third choice by now, still trying to find an entrant that fits with the rules of the sweepstakes.

That's a good point. I hope that they reveal her name soon.
I wouldn't agree with her having a name only if Lewis hadn't wanted to give her a name to make her more mysterious. If Lewis just didn't bother to give her a name, then it would be fine. We can't know why she wasn't given a name, so I don't find it bad for her to have one. It would be easier to talk about her without having to say LotGK. I hope they choose a good name and not just some common and obvious name. She's really important, so I hope they don't mess her up. Anyway, I'll trust the filmmakers. I really hope they stat true to the book and make a great movie to save the Narnia franchise. I believe they can if they work hard :)
Alambil Stark
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Feb 15, 2015 7:58 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I wonder why you have to email the request before February 16th, 2015? :-\ Is that when they're planning on formally announcing it via the press? Curious.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rogin » Feb 22, 2015 12:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they never end up using the name. It could very well be that they needed a name for the draft they were working on in the summer and since then they've revised the script to a point where she no longer needs a one. We'll see..
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Falaskan » Mar 27, 2015 11:43 pm

I'd post my entry if I knew someone else couldn't use it lol.
Falaskan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Golg » Apr 13, 2015 12:21 am

I am not opposed them naming the LotGK. Although it will make her just the slightest bit less mysterious. Naming characters doesn't bug me, as much of a purist I am. Keeping to the book is at the top of the list.

There are few changes I can tolerate or even appreciate, such as Glozelle and Prunaprismia in the Prince Caspian film, or even Gael in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader film (may it be forgotten). B

If SC turns into another formulated, Hollywood, Lord of the Rings emulation (I love LotR, but let Narnia be Narnia), I will be sorely disappointing.

I digressed quiet a bit. But I submitted Yilan. It is Turkish for snake.
Golg
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 19, 2015 2:00 pm

It appears there's still no word on the results of this sweepstakes, but the recent rumors about The Silver Chair script have got me thinking... does anyone have any ideas as to why they felt that the script required the LotGK to have a name?

Usually being on a first-name basis implies more of a personal, informal connection between characters than the interactions that we see in the book. Maybe the flashback where she meets Rilian is going to be so extensive that it will include them exchanging names? (Honestly, I just don't see how that would be required in the scene and therefore the script.) Or here's a random thought: is it possible that the LotGK is going to temporarily join the questing trio as a mysterious traveling companion or something? I'm rather puzzled. :-?
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext