This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Name the LotGK

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Name the LotGK

Postby GlimGlum » Aug 02, 2014 9:52 pm

I didn't know when the deadline was. :(( Here is a list of names that I came up with:

Grenavil
    Lullenor
    Jareenis
    Darvinia
    Sliverna
    Ismistora
    Luciphora
    Charsis
    Charnera
    Mesmeranda
    Mandolina
    Spellinda
    Splendora

I like a few of them more than the others. Tried to think of the character and her characteristics on some. Others just "sounded" appropriate for whatever reason. :)
I hope the actual name chosen turns out to be fitting and cool sounding as well. B-)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 03, 2014 11:54 am

Movie Aristotle wrote:The truth is that you helped us all come up with great names due to your research. Give yourself a pat on the back. I consider this a team effort anyway, no matter what name is chosen.

Thank you! :) It seems like a team effort to me as well. Very cool that the Narnia fan community is getting to be part of this decision!

Your thoughts about Hecate are intriguing... I've done a little research, and I'll have to post about it on The Backstory of the LotGK about it. (If my memory serves me correctly, I think someone said in the comments on the Name the LotGK news article that they had submitted Hekate, so that's interesting.)

GlimGlum wrote:I didn't know when the deadline was. :((

Aw, you too? :( Well, take heart in the fact that you missed it because you didn't even know when it was; I knew and forgot it. :ymblushing: ;)) The entry field for the contest is still open (though the rules PDF hasn't changed), so people could potentially still try to enter. I'm dubious that the entry would be counted, though. Shame! You came up with a lot of good names; I especially liked Mesmeranda, Grenavil and Ismistora. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 06, 2014 11:30 am

Well, my name won't win any awards, it's pretty simple and the meaning is not obviously derived. I just decided to Google words until I found some with meanings that I thought fit the LotGK. I made a portmanteau of "ahas" which is "snake" in Tagalog and "Śabdasmr̥tibhranśa" which is "amnesia" in Hindi to come up with "Ahransa". Hopefully the romanisation of the Hindi word is more or less correct; I don't speak the language and am taking Google's word for it.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I like the name Ahransa, PhelanVelvel! It sounds exotic, and I especially like the S element—I can imagine someone saying it with a subtle hiss. The idea of using a word that meant "amnesia" is really clever, too! I didn't think of that.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 09, 2014 5:22 pm

I had thought of posting a reminder about the deadline but well things were kind of crazy and I didn't. :ymblushing:

I submitted Lorelind.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Rogin » Aug 11, 2014 11:15 am

I find it quite odd that they'd ask the fans to suggest a name. I love the fact that they're getting fans involved/invested in the project early on and all, but it came across as more of a "well we have no idea what to call her so we're letting YOU decide!" That's likely not the case but still.
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 13, 2014 2:23 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I like the name Ahransa, PhelanVelvel! It sounds exotic, and I especially like the S element—I can imagine someone saying it with a subtle hiss. The idea of using a word that meant "amnesia" is really clever, too! I didn't think of that.

Thanks! It's too bad we couldn't write what the meaning is, because they'll probably just think it's a bunch of made up syllables. XD

I think their efforts to involve the fans is sincere. If it comes across as "we don't know what to do", it probably shouldn't. We all know they could come up with a name if they wanted, but I think they understand how slighted fans of the books were after the last film and they're trying to do a good thing. That being said, they should know that naming a character will not placate us if they are unfaithful to the book, lol.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 16, 2014 5:23 pm

I checked the official rules to see when the name will be chosen. It could be chosen as soon as the 18th. I don't know when the general public will get to know the name. I wished I'd read the rules a little more closely when we first started our discussion.

the official rules wrote:Entries will be judged based upon the following criteria: (i) how it describes the qualities of the character (30%); (ii) is it the type of name which would be found in Narnia and does it fit in with the names of other characters in the Work (30%) and (iii) originality (40%).

I'm not exactly sure how they will determine things such as how it describes the qualities of character but wouldn't it be great if they ended up here in researching the names? Drat, I just did a search on the name I created and apparently it already exists as something in the World of Warcraft. I guess I should have googled it before I submitted it. :(
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 16, 2014 9:55 pm

I'm glad you submitted Lorelind, Twigs—the meaning is really brilliant and it's a beautiful name to boot. I wouldn't worry too much about World of Warcraft; I googled it as well and I'm guessing it's some sort of custom character that a player created? It doesn't seem like it's copyrighted or a well-known character, at any rate.

I'm hoping that Gordon, Magee and Gresham will read threads like this one as they go through the judging process, as well as the comments on the new stories... it would be a shame if they didn't understand the work and thought that went into the name submissions. It's also possible that they'll email potential winners to ask them questions about why they chose the name they did.

*crosses fingers and hopes that we'll be hearing some name-related news soon*
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 17, 2014 9:16 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I'm glad you submitted Lorelind, Twigs—the meaning is really brilliant and it's a beautiful name to boot. I wouldn't worry too much about World of Warcraft; I googled it as well and I'm guessing it's some sort of custom character that a player created? It doesn't seem like it's copyrighted or a well-known character, at any rate.

I'm hoping that Gordon, Magee and Gresham will read threads like this one as they go through the judging process, as well as the comments on the new stories... it would be a shame if they didn't understand the work and thought that went into the name submissions. It's also possible that they'll email potential winners to ask them questions about why they chose the name they did.

*crosses fingers and hopes that we'll be hearing some name-related news soon*

Former WoW nerd here--you have nothing to worry about. If it was an NPC or something created by Blizzard it would come up on the WoWhead database. XD

That would be great if they could e-mail us and ask us questions. :D They could choose a bunch of potential winners based on how good they sound, then delve into the deeper meaning. Otherwise, how will they be able to tell how well the name fits the character? They could try Googling, but some of our names are pretty hard to follow in how they were constructed, at least just by Googling the name itself.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Googling should definitely be helpful to them if entrants have posted about their entries and the meanings behind them online. For instance, if you google "Ahransa Narnia", you'll come up with a page on this thread. So hopefully they'll go that route as they're examining submissions. :D
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 18, 2014 7:25 am

I tried googling the name I came up with (Geliia Narnia) and my post was the first result! That's good to know. The next result in the search engine was a Latin something-or-other containing the word geliia, which prompted me to turn to google translate. Apparently Geliia means "angels" in Latin!
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Oct 07, 2014 7:25 pm

So....any updates on this??
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 08, 2014 2:46 pm

They've pick the name(s) already but I'm not sure when they plan on releasing the name to the public. I just checked the offical rules again, and found this interesting:

For the names of the prize winners, e-mail your request to hccsweeps@harpercollins.com after September 15, 2014 but before February 16, 2015.

So I guess their giving out the contest winners name just not the winning name. I figure I can find them on Facebook and ask... wow, I sound like a stalker right now :p oh well.

I've just now sent an email so hopfully I'll get a reply soon.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 13, 2014 4:55 pm

For the names of the prize winners, e-mail your request to hccsweeps@harpercollins.com after September 15, 2014 but before February 16, 2015.

I contacted them on Sept. 17th and have never heard back from them.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 13, 2014 6:52 pm

I wonder why you have to email the request before February 16th, 2015? :-\ Is that when they're planning on formally announcing it via the press? Curious.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext