This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Should any of the animals wear clothes, and if so, what?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should any of the animals wear clothes, and if so, what?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Mar 21, 2014 12:12 am

The idea of the animals of Narnia wearing clothes may be strange, but it's not impossible. For example, Reepicheep wears his coronet, and Aslan has a crown described in LWW. In addition, animals wear armor in the battles.

So if they end up wearing clothes, what would you suggest?
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Should any of the animals wear clothes, and if so, what?

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 21, 2014 8:13 am

If you wear armour, you need to have other things on underneath (such as a leather tunic) to prevent it chafing, or cutting into you if someone inflicts a heavy blow on you (I know this from a number of years experience of doing battle reenactments). So if Talking Beasts wear armour then they should also wear other clothes, at least for this purpose.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Would the fur guard against chafing, though, King Erlian? I suppose it would depend on how thick and dense the fur is.

I think if the animals did wear clothes of any sort, they would probably be tunics or other basic medieval wear; very simple and peasant-like. That type of clothing would also probably work well underneath armor.

The tailors and weavers of Narnia would likely have been fauns and dryads and naiads, I'm guessing, since I think it would be pretty difficult to sew and weave fabric without the use of opposable thumbs.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 19, 2014 9:25 pm

It seems like the animals in Narnia did not really have a sense of "nakedness" like humans do, so they don't need clothes for that reason. I can't really remember any time when animals wore clothes, except when Shift was trying to convince the Narnians he was a man.
Unless the Narnians needed clothes for a specific purpose such as armor or maybe a coat when they were freezing, I don't think they should have clothes on. Perhaps a sash or something to signify a title, like Reepicheep's gold band, but I wouldn't put them in complete outfits.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 29, 2014 12:19 am

Wasn't Reepicheep wearing clothes in both the films he appeared in? ;)
Edit. (Or maybe it was only in Prince Caspian)

In Magician's Nephew I wouldn't say so but yes for Last Battle. I would love to see most of the animals in armor if they do make a film of LB.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 02, 2014 8:51 am

I prefer to see the Talking Animals wearing accessories rather than full-on clothes--it helps to visually distinguish between the Narnians and the non-talking types we also see.

Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:The tailors and weavers of Narnia would likely have been fauns and dryads and naiads, I'm guessing, since I think it would be pretty difficult to sew and weave fabric without the use of opposable thumbs.
Doesn't Lewis make a comment to this effect while Shift is sewing in LB?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 02, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't think they should wear full on clothes (except in the case of armor and other practical things like that). I like Mel's suggestion of having accessories.
After a quick google search it looks like Reepicheep didn't wear clothes, except for some simple armor during battle and a brown strap of some sort. I imagine it has some practical use, but I can't seem to recall what it is at the moment.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub