This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Casting: A Statement to the Movie-going Audience

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Casting: A Statement to the Movie-going Audience

Postby Thunder-Fist » Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Many people have discussed the hiring of David Magee and the aspect of the move being a statement that The Silver Chair is film to be taken seriously. As others have said, this would be a statement primarily to the industry, because the average movie-goer required to make a film financially successful often don't even know who wrote the movies they see (I know I don't, usually).

When statements want to be made to the mass consumer, it is often through a casting choice. If they go in this direction, I think the three roles most likely to be eligible for the "statement cast" would be Puddleglum, The Lady, and Prince Rilian. I don't just mean casting good actors, that should be a must for all the roles, but actors that somehow change the way the public perceives the movie. Thoughts on any aspects of this idea?
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Casting: A Statement to the Movie-going Audience

Postby fantasia » Feb 19, 2014 10:05 am

I'm not much into casting statements myself. For one thing, when there's a big name plastered all over the advertising, I question if that's the only reason to bother seeing the movie. For another thing (and this is my own personal preference), I prefer movies with lesser known actors because I don't get distracted by previous roles that people have been in.

You're right about one thing though Thunder-Fist, there aren't many characters to choose from. I think Puddleglum is about the only option as he's the only one in there for a significant amount of time. LotGK would work too I suppose. And if they recast Aslan, that's another role that could be filled with a big name. Not sure about Rilian. I think they could risk losing what little surprise they have over who he turns out to be should they cast a big name in that role.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Thunder-Fist » Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I definitely agree. Nothing turns me off of a movie like a hugely famous actor thrust awkwardly in where they don't belong. But I think a casting choice could be a statement without being a problem. I would prefer everyone to be played by fairly no-name actors, I've always been that way, though if an actor is good I really don't care too much. I was just wondering if it was likely, and if so, who? I suppose it depends on what they would want to say. The casting of a classical actor as Puddleglum would send a different message than the casting of a mega-star, just as an actor well known in the sci-fi community would say something different than a debut actor. Of course, this is all fairly innocuous, as it would have little bearing on the actual film (assuming of course that whatever actor they cast is a good one).
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 08, 2014 11:56 pm

I think it's certainly possible that we could see a "statement casting" in the roles of either the Lady of the Green Kirtle or Rilian. This is largely because neither of those characters appear in the book very much, and so being part of a Silver Chair film adaptation wouldn't put very great demands on an actor's time and energy.

While I would be completely happy with casting some brilliant unknowns, I'm also aware that the filmmakers want SC to be a commercial success, and being able to put a big name on the billing can be an important element of drawing viewers. As long as the people they cast are there because they're ridiculously talented and know the character inside-out, I don't think I really care if they're unknown or already famous.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Feb 13, 2015 6:29 pm

I agree. I'm also more fond of "unknown" actors than the overly famous ones, principally when it comes to book adaptations. I'm sure they'll go for famous actors for the Lady of the Green Kirtle, Rilian and maybe Puddleglum, but I hope they keep Jill (and if they recast Eustace, this goes for him to) a unknown name. Having a already famous girl to play her would ruin, in my opinion, the freshness of the character and the sensation of a new child in Narnia.

On the other hand, there's so many talented british actors that are "unknown". You can take Downton Abbey as an example, there are hugely famous actors and actresses working with less known or totally new ones. If they are willing to give Narnia a new beginning and bring the success again with The Silver Chair, they'll search for new and talented faces. I wouldn't mind to see a famous face in it, but it needs to be someone that, as The Rose-Tree Dryad said, "are there because they're ridiculously talented and know the character inside-out, I don't think I really care if they're unknown or already famous."
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular