What if Aslan is recast?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: What if Aslan is recast?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Ah, Idris Elba... *points to what she wrote four posts prior* ;))

Not only do I think that his voice resembles David Suchet's to a degree (the deepness, the frequent vocal fry), I also think that he could bring a lot of power, energy and magnetism to the role... as Gp said, that "not tame" side of Aslan. That's really something that I would like to see in this new interpretation of the character... but not at the expense of his tenderness and wisdom, however. Any actor who wants to play this role really needs to read Aslan's conversation with Shasta in HHB if they want the crash course on Who this character is. This role is a dream for a true artist, and will require incredible versatility.
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Sense it looks like Liam Neeson most likely won't be back, I'd be fine with Idris Elba. He's a vary good actor and I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia_kitty » Jun 02, 2017 1:31 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Ah, Idris Elba... *points to what she wrote four posts prior* ;))

Heh. I'm having one of those unobservant days apparently. Sorry to steal your thunder Rose. I think your suggestion is an excellent one. ;)

My favorite is still Ben Cross. He doesn't have that growly quality to his voice like Elba does, but I love his timbre. I've heard him both calm and quiet, as well as angry, and he just feels Aslan-ly to me.

It's interesting to me that there's not much of an uproar about Liam Neeson not returning, but Will Poulter, wow! Poor Liam. I did like him as Aslan. ;))
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby aileth » Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:It's interesting to me that there's not much of an uproar about Liam Neeson not returning, but Will Poulter, wow! Poor Liam. I did like him as Aslan. ;))

I wonder if that's because people didn't see him, and therefore didn't attach as much weight to his part. Not to say that having the right person for a voice actor isn't equally important; recasting a part actor is more discomfiting on a visual level, though, which, after all, is a significant part of movies.

Maybe more people will be upset when reality hits--when they hear the "wrong voice." Who knows? But then I grew up with the BBC Aslan, so my idea of the "wrong voice" is going to be different.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Previous