This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What if Aslan is recast?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: What if Aslan is recast?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Ah, Idris Elba... *points to what she wrote four posts prior* ;))

Not only do I think that his voice resembles David Suchet's to a degree (the deepness, the frequent vocal fry), I also think that he could bring a lot of power, energy and magnetism to the role... as Gp said, that "not tame" side of Aslan. That's really something that I would like to see in this new interpretation of the character... but not at the expense of his tenderness and wisdom, however. Any actor who wants to play this role really needs to read Aslan's conversation with Shasta in HHB if they want the crash course on Who this character is. This role is a dream for a true artist, and will require incredible versatility.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Sense it looks like Liam Neeson most likely won't be back, I'd be fine with Idris Elba. He's a vary good actor and I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jun 02, 2017 1:31 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Ah, Idris Elba... *points to what she wrote four posts prior* ;))

Heh. I'm having one of those unobservant days apparently. Sorry to steal your thunder Rose. I think your suggestion is an excellent one. ;)

My favorite is still Ben Cross. He doesn't have that growly quality to his voice like Elba does, but I love his timbre. I've heard him both calm and quiet, as well as angry, and he just feels Aslan-ly to me.

It's interesting to me that there's not much of an uproar about Liam Neeson not returning, but Will Poulter, wow! Poor Liam. I did like him as Aslan. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby aileth » Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:It's interesting to me that there's not much of an uproar about Liam Neeson not returning, but Will Poulter, wow! Poor Liam. I did like him as Aslan. ;))

I wonder if that's because people didn't see him, and therefore didn't attach as much weight to his part. Not to say that having the right person for a voice actor isn't equally important; recasting a part actor is more discomfiting on a visual level, though, which, after all, is a significant part of movies.

Maybe more people will be upset when reality hits--when they hear the "wrong voice." Who knows? But then I grew up with the BBC Aslan, so my idea of the "wrong voice" is going to be different.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby hiraeth » May 05, 2018 8:07 pm

What about Andy Serkis? If they’re doing a motion capture Aslan, he’d be the top choice for me. He’s got a great range with Snoke and Gollum (I haven’t seen the ape movies) so I think he’d be pretty great as Aslan.
hiraeth
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » May 08, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm expecting to see Aslan similar to the three previous Narnia films - a very well presented CG figure who moves like a lion. This needs to be based on how actual lions move, which no motion capture actor could achieve, I'm afraid.

Were you thinking of a voice he might create for Aslan?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby hiraeth » May 11, 2018 12:36 am

I actually thought that Andy would be one of the best actors out there to imitate a lion, what with his experience in playing animals over the years. Of course, a CG lion would work really well, and it has, but maybe having a motion capture Aslan might help distinguish SC from the Walden Trilogy. Just a thought. :) But I was thinking more along the lines of Aslan’s relationship with Jill in SC, which is of the things I’m looking forward to seeing in SC-I think Andy is one of those actors that can capture both the wildness and kingly aspects of Aslan, which would be really important in those scenes when she meets him on the cliff, and in the dream sequence (if that’s not cut).
hiraeth
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Col Klink » Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I agree with the fans who feel that Liam Neeson doesn't sound scary enough for Aslan. I'd like to hear a more intimidating sounding voice actor take over the role. But Neeson does have some good qualities which I appreciated.

(a) I like his slightly amused delivery of some lines like "quite the opposite, dear one." It gives the impression that Aslan knows a lot more than the other characters do but still comes across as warm and not condescending.

(b) Although he's a famous actor, he doesn't have a super distinctive voice. When I listen to him with my eyes closed, I don't think "oh, that's Liam Neeson."

It'd be great if we got someone who also delivered those things but captured other qualities of Aslan's character. Of course, like Rose Tree Dryad and Fantasia Kitty said, totally capturing Aslan is probably impossible.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Oct 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Locking my old thread in favor of a new thread as Aslan will certainly be recast.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Previous