This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Puddleglum: Actor, CGI, or Both?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

How should Puddleglum be Portrayed?

Actor only (with makeup & costume)
25%
CGI Creation a la Gollum (LOTR)
No votes
Actor with CGI Enhancement
75%
Other?
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: Puddleglum: Actor, CGI, or Both?

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 09, 2013 9:07 am

I have to say actor with CGI Enhancement it seems like the best option if you want him to look as Lewis describes him in the book.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby You Will Find Me Bigger » Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am

I voted "actor with CGI enhancement" and I *really* want the actor to be Alan Rickman. He's a brilliant actor and he IS Puddleglum, in my head. Especially his voice.
You can call me Willow if you want to.
You Will Find Me Bigger
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cymru » Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I love the idea of either, really. Puddleglum can seem long if the right actor is put in the costume. But now that it's been mentioned, at least partial CGI seems like a reasonable idea.

I love the idea of Geoffrey Rush as Puddleglum. Perhaps he's a bit too Tom Baker? I wonder if Tom Baker would come back?
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Anhun » Mar 31, 2014 2:27 pm

I definitely would not want an all-CGI character for Puddleglum. It doesn't matter how good the effect is, it just won't be the same as having a live actor. I can see makeup working if they want to convey the essence of Puddleglum's style and appearance, rather than to-the-letter fidelity to the text. I like the idea of CGI enhancement, too. But if the budget constraints are too tight, I would much rather they spend their money on a highly talented actor, than CGI enhancements.

By the way, the book describes Puddleglum as having a mud brown complexion. Am I the only one who wants them to be faithful to the book and cast an actor of African descent for Puddleglum?
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby You Will Find Me Bigger » Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Oooo, that would be interesting, Anhun. Or perhaps someone of Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent?

What would you think of a CGI Puddleglum that is done with motion capture (like Gollum/ Andy Serkis) so that there is a human performance involved?
You can call me Willow if you want to.
You Will Find Me Bigger
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Anhun » Apr 12, 2014 7:31 am

The only Hispanics I know who are dark enough to play Puddleglum as written are Afro-Hispanic, so that brings us back to the African descent. At the same time, you are right to point out that there are other ethnic groups who can be that dark. South Indians can be very dark. Sendhil Ramamurthy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendhil_Ramamurthy

would fit the bill in terms of complexion (don't know if he has the acting range -I've only seen him in one episode of Psych).

I favor Wil Johnson

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426435/

Because I know he could act the role to perfection, and I think he has a Marshwiggly voice.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » May 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I actually came here to suggest Robert Carlyle. But it looks like you all beat me to it :) The first time I saw him on Once Upon a Time I thought, "My Gosh! That's Puddleglum!!!" I just think everything about him would be perfect for the part! I vote actor with CGI.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » May 20, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm up for any actor who looks the part and can play it well, but I think it would be pretty cool to have a dark-skinned actor do it. I don't think many people have thought about his description including a dark complexion, so it might be an unexpected choice. I liked how they made the centaurs and other mythological entities of the previous films include people of different races, so as to show that Narnia is an inclusive place.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:32 pm

It would make my day if they had Johnny Depp play Puddleglum. He is AMAZZZING.
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 02, 2014 12:06 pm

I think it depends on the actor. If it's someone who already looks like he could pass for a Marshwiggle—tall and gangly—then it may not be necessary at all to go the CGI route. However, if there's an actor who's perfect for the role but otherwise doesn't look the part in terms of stature and build, then maybe CGI enhancement would be the way to go. That may be a reasonable usage of funds, but if possible, it would be great to save the money and use it on something else. I also wouldn't like doing any CGI unless it looked really good; I don't want to be distracted by unrealistic-looking special effects.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 02, 2014 8:55 pm

If they could do the make up well enough, I wouldn't mind if there was no CGI. I would prefer Puddleglum to be a real life actor opposed to completely CGI, but a mix of the two would be fine, if properly done. I admit I have always envisioned Puddleglum to be similar to the Radio Theatre's cover illustration of him. But I don't know how that would be achieved, except perhaps through a lot makeup and CGI...
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Sep 25, 2014 9:13 pm

I agree. I would prefer that they just don't opt for a completely CGI Puddleglum, because I think it would "take off" most of the "soul" of the character. I think that a mix of CGI and a great makeup work would be definitely good.

In in some cases, when they know exactly how to do, a good job on characterization is more than enough. You can see this on Hellboy movies. Nothing there is much more different from Puddleglum, I mean, there's even more weird creatures, and just look at how good it looks (I know I'm being biased here since I'm a huge fan of Hellboy, haha)! Pan's Labyrinth is another good example and I'm sure there's a lot more. I think they can easily create Puddleglum without the need to make a too artificial thing. The motion capture technique that they used in Planet of the Apes, LOTR and Avatar were wonderful, but we don't know the budget of TSC, neither who will be responsible for the visual/special effects. This worries me about the way they will do Aslan, too, so, we don't know if it could be a good idea.

By the way, I love the idea of a hispanic, middle eastern or african-american Puddleglum, it would be truly amazing! He has none of these characteristics, but I think Doug Jones could be an option; he's a good actor and has a vast experience with heavy characterization, with the bonus that he has the body and all to be Puddleglum. Geoffrey Rush seems good to me too, and I thought about Ben Kingsley. I don't know, I always pictured Puddleglum as some kind of old frogman (maybe thanks to Tom Baker, haha).
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Sep 26, 2014 8:55 am

Lake Lachrymose wrote:By the way, I love the idea of a hispanic, middle eastern or african-american Puddleglum, it would be truly amazing!

That would be interesting and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that at all. :) Though I think I'd prefer they stick with a British accent. ;))

So, since this guy is currently in vogue I'm gonna throw this name out there JUST to get a reaction to see what everybody thinks. :ymdevil: How about Tom Hiddleston?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby coracle » Sep 26, 2014 2:01 pm

If the actor is able to convince me with a good and interesting regional UK accent, I will be happy, but he will also have to have the right shape face, and his skin will have to suit wearing prosthetics for the greenish look.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Sep 26, 2014 3:36 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:
Lake Lachrymose wrote:By the way, I love the idea of a hispanic, middle eastern or african-american Puddleglum, it would be truly amazing!

That would be interesting and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that at all. :) Though I think I'd prefer they stick with a British accent. ;))

So, since this guy is currently in vogue I'm gonna throw this name out there JUST to get a reaction to see what everybody thinks. :ymdevil: How about Tom Hiddleston?

Yes! I agree, I think it's really important the accent factor. I'm a bit afraid that they will "ignore" this and just put a lot of american actors in it, but there's always someone who can fake a accent pretty well, haha. Tom Hiddleston? Hahahaha, he was never an option to me, but I think I have seen people talking about him. He's a bit inexpressive to me.
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Anhun » Sep 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I was thinking how silly it is to have an accent requirement for Puddleglum when I was hit with a "brain wave." Dwight Henry!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4833412/

I thought he was fantastic in Beasts of the Southern Wild and I would love to see what he would do with Puddleglum.

Given how home-spun Puddleglum is supposed to be, I think an American dialectic accent would make more sense than an aristocratic or middle-class English accent. But I don't think accent is an important part of his characterization. Where is the logic behind requiring him to have a modern Brittish accent?
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext