This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What about Jill Pole?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: What about Jill Pole?

Postby fantasia » Dec 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Indeed, thanks for resurrecting this thread Anfinwen :) I like the appearance of both of your choices! I don't watch much of anything to give me any ideas. All of the young English ladies I might have known once upon a time are now too old to suggest. I'll have to start looking for ideas. Eustace too quite frankly.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby mm1991 » Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Oh wow, Caitlin played the young Amy Pond during 11's Doctor Who run! I can definitely see her as Jill! However, that was a couple of years ago and I don't know what she looks like now. I think she did a great job in that role though.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Anfinwen » Dec 27, 2016 8:31 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I don't watch much of anything to give me any ideas.

Same! The thing about young talent is that they usually have to be discovered. These girls happened to be in well known productions, but I'm sure there are lots of talented young girls and guys no one even knows about.

mm1991 wrote:I don't know what she looks like now

I managed to find a few pics that seem more recent. I honestly think she might have the right look.

ImageImageImage
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 28, 2016 3:56 pm

I think Caitlin Blackwood has the right look, too, but I'm worried that she's too old. She definitely looks older than 12, and if we're looking at her returning for The Last Battle, I'm afraid she'll look like an adult in that.

It's rather tricky business with the age of the actress because we may well have one or two films sandwiched between SC and LB. I'd like to see them cast someone who is 11 or 12 and young-looking at that (maybe check and make sure they don't have any basketball players for parents) so that they'll hopefully still look like a teenager even if LB isn't filmed for five or six years. I'd hate to see another Will Poulter situation play out!

I guess one potential benefit of casting someone who is older is that you already have a sense of what they'll look like as an adult, so if they're already young-looking as an older teenager, you don't have to worry about them changing a lot in between filming SC and LB. I just think SC would be a more effective film if it's through a child's eyes rather than a teenager's.

EDIT:

I ran across a thirteen year old British girl named Lily-Rose Aslandogdu that might be a possibility. (Great name for someone in the Narnia franchise, isn't it?) I had never heard of her before, but she starred in a "second a day" style short film about the Syrian refugee crisis. It imagines what it would be like if London were Syria and it's an upsetting and very emotionally charged video, but it definitely made it easy for me to imagine her playing Jill, a very vulnerable girl who had grown up in war-torn England. I think she has a good look for the character as well. If she hasn't grown too tall, I think she could definitely be a contender for the role.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby coracle » Dec 29, 2016 11:59 pm

mm1991 wrote:Oh wow, Caitlin played the young Amy Pond during 11's Doctor Who run! I can definitely see her as Jill! However, that was a couple of years ago and I don't know what she looks like now. I think she did a great job in that role though.

She's probably too old but would be great. It does, however, suggest that a British accent other than the RP 'posh' English accent would be worth considering (although a milder accent will be more easily understood by non-British audiences).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lu_valient » Dec 31, 2016 6:35 pm

If the actress playing Jill had a non-RP accent similar to LOTGK, it could be a reason for her to think of LOTGK as an ally, especially if she was previously surrounded by RP accents at school.
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Eustace » Feb 20, 2017 6:17 pm

I think Isabelle Allen is a good choice for Jill Pole and honestly if Jill Pole is an actress out now she would be the best option. But, I kind of want Jill Pole to be a no name actress, because then Narnia could be her boost into the film business.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 23, 2017 8:55 am

I found another possibility for Jill. I've never seen this actress in action, but she has a lot of experience.

Raffey Cassidy is 14 years old, but if her IMDB page is correct, she is only 4' 11"ImageImage

Here is a link to her IMDB page.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3864163/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Eustace » Jun 30, 2017 8:35 pm

I just recently watched Wonderwoman and the young child actress Lilly Aspell stole my heart. Because of this I was wondering if they could cast her for Jill. She is 8 years old so she definitely short and I think she could play the part very well. She is Half-Scottish and Half-Irish.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jul 02, 2017 6:42 pm

I thought about Lilly Aspell. I liked her performance a lot in Wonder Woman. She will be 10 in October so she is about the right age. Although I almost wonder if she isn't too cute for Jill.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby coracle » Jul 03, 2017 1:09 am

Anfinwen wrote:I found another possibility for Jill.
Raffey Cassidy is 14 years old, but if her IMDB page is correct, she is only 4' 11.
Here is a link to her IMDB page.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3864163/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm

It seems to have been updated - she is about 15 and 5'5" now, so probably too old for Jill.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Hwinning » Jul 13, 2017 6:54 am

While Raffey Cassidy did well in Tomorrowland, I'm with the folks who want an unknown actress. I looked up Lily-Rose Aslandogdu and she seems like a great fit for Jill.

Regarding bangs. All I want is a hairstyle that reflects the times. If bangs are that hairstyle, go for it. Camilla Power pulled off a great Jill with them.
Hwinning
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ajmcrill » Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

I agree with others on here that the casting of Jill Pole will make or break the movie. For that reason, I feel that they need to cast a somewhat experienced actress for the role, who can carry the movie. I'm not sure what the actual age Jill Pole is in the book (12 I think), but typically in movies they tend to cast older than the age of the book character in order to find an actor/actress capable of delivering a better performance.

The first actress that comes to mind is Sophie Nélisse. The two movies I have seen her in, she has been fantastic: The Book Thief and The Great Gilly Hopkins. For me she has the acting chops that they need to carry the movie. I think she is now 17 years old, so by the time they film she may be a bit too old, but I still think she could pull it off, as she is really a fine little actress. Also, I know many believe it needs to be an English actress, and Nélisse is from French-Canada, but she pulled off a really believable German accent in The Book Thief, so I'm sure she could master a British accent if necessary.

I also thought of Bella Ramsey, who plays Lyanna Mormont in Game of Thrones. That character is the very strong-willed head of House Mormont at only 10 years old. I think the actress who plays her is 13, so she would be a bit younger.

What does everyone think about these two?
ajmcrill
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby coracle » Jul 30, 2017 12:24 am

The second one is interesting. She has a 'real person' sort of look.

Hwinning, I looked up that name too, mainly because I had trouble believing her surname. (I fear that the entire English-speaking world would find it hard to say her name seriously). But she does look nice - another 'real person'.

EDIT: I just found a note to myself from a couple of years ago, re Emilia Jones. She is 15 now, but has a small face and delicate features. She was the child singer in The Rings of Akhatan (Doctor Who) and the oldest child in What We Did On Our Holiday. She has a busy IMDB page, and seems to be filming at least one thing at the moment - so perhaps she doesn't count as an unknown. She is English.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Previous