This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Who should play Eustace?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Who should play Eustace?

Will Poulter
40%
Someone new
60%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who should play Eustace?

Postby fantasia » Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

Just putting this here, I don't know how many have seen Will Poulter recently... I found an interview of him from We're the Millers. The video is safe to watch up to the 2:30 mark, after that it gets into discussion on some inappropriate content from the movie. But anyways, at least you can see him now and more importantly, hear his voice. I think that voice change is the big reason why I just can't see him playing Eustace again.

As for Asa Butterfield, call me crazy, but I think he'd make a smashing Rilian if he wasn't so young. I don't know that I can see him as Eustace. Maybe he could pull it off if they started filming tomorrow, but I think we're still a year or two out and by then I think he'll be too old.

Of course, I don't know who to suggest. I just haven't seen very movies at all lately that have young kids in them.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby narnialover101 » Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

As much as I know that Will Poulter is much too old for the part, I can't help it; I want him to return. His voice is certainly lower, but I would imagine he could speak a little higher if he needed to. Most guys can do that fairly convincingly. As for his looks, he could still pass for 15 or 16 I think, which wouldn't be too bad. For whatever reason I have a huge issue with casting changes. In my mind it completely ruins the illusion.

The one thing I am concerned about, if Eustace is older, is the possibility of them adding romance. That I can't handle. No, no, no! In that case I'll give up Poulter in a heartbeat.

I'll always be a,
NL101
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby mm1991 » Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am

I voted Will Poulter because that's who I'd *want* to see play Eustace. But in reality:
- Does Will Poulter have any desire to come back to the Narnia franchise?
- Like fantasia_kitty said, it won't start filming for another few years and by that time, he may not be able to pull off looking like a teenager anymore.
- Does Douglas Gresham want Will Poulter back as Eustace?

What WILL happen most likely is they'll get a new Eustace. It's a shame because Will was perfect for the role. But hopefully someone else will do just as good. I have NO recommendations for who else could pull off Eustace which is odd because I always have opinions on casting. :p

fantasia_kitty, I never thought about Asa for Rilian! He *would* make a great Rilian! Have you seen him in the Ender's Game trailer? He's not so young anymore. And by the time filming starts, he may be a good fit for it! He'd be 18 or 19 if they start filming in 2-3 years.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I addressed Will Poulter as Eustace in my news article "Casting 'The Silver Chair.'" Part of me thinks he's too old - bulk and voice. But it depends on what the production wants. I have no other suggestions.

http://www.skandarandgeorgie.com/2013/1 ... ver-chair/

[I don't remember how to put urls in posts! :(( ]
220chrisTian

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm

After reading over what some of you had to say age wise with Will and that it might become a reason to add a romance between him and Jill, then I wouldn't be up for that. I don't want to see any type of romance between them at all. Period. Exclamation Mark! However I wouldn't mind seeing Will in the part again if there's no romance added. If not I wouldn't want there to be any romance whatsoever.

Besides Eustace and Jill should just stay friends, plus they bicker too much.

If Asa was older I can too see him as a smashing Rilian. He's just got that special charm now to where I can only see him as a prince or king in these films.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm not sure who some of the suggested actors here are. Maybe I don't know that many teen British actors. But I do think they should find someone who is British, like most actors in the first three films.

If they find someone around 15-16 who hadn't gotten a growth spurt and voice change yet, just like Will Poulter in VDT, that would be perfect!

I also want someone relatively unknown to American audiences, just like James, the Pevensies, Ben, and Will. I think acting ability and fitting a part are much more important than star quality or name recognition.
220chrisTian

Postby Varnafinde » Oct 05, 2013 1:25 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:
starkat wrote:Please recast. As much as I loved Poulter's acting, the age puts too much of an opening for a romance between Eustace and Jill.

I forgot about that! :-o

It's hard to imagine a fantasy movie with two twentysomething leads of opposite genders, without any sort of romantic tension.

Very good point. And although a romance between Eustace and Jill would make more sense than one between Susan and Caspian (given what we see of their relationship)*, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE BOOK and so it shouldn't happen in the film either.

So we need a Eustace who is only a few weeks older than the Eustace who left Narnia at the end of VDT (as I guess they ought to keep some continuity and not make him a lot younger, even though he possibly was a lot younger in the books) - and a Jill of basically the same age.

Picking an actor of the right age now is made difficult just by the fact that he or she will probably be at least two or three years older by the time that filming begins. And they grow up so fast ...

I should perhaps rather say that it would not make as little sense as the Suspian romance. It wouldn't make sense at the ages they are in SC - but I think it might have made sense later, if they had survived the train wreck and grown to be adults together.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 05, 2013 4:37 pm

I say someone new Will Poulter did a graet job on VDT (he was the best part of the film in my opinion) but he's far too old now.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Oct 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I say re-cast. Looking at recent video of Will, I just can't see him as Eustace anymore. I just don't think he would be very good.

starkat wrote:Please recast. As much as I loved Poulter's acting, the age puts too much of an opening for a romance between Eustace and Jill.

:|

Goodness gracious me. You're probably right....
Nope, can't come up with the words to describe my feelings on that. I'll just click Submit.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Linden » Oct 05, 2013 9:57 pm

New actor, please. Will Poulter's great, but he's too old. More importantly, he looks to old.

I'm not exactly opposed to Asa Butterfield. But I keep seeing him fancast as just about every young boy/teenage boy, and he's starting to get on my nerves. I'd rather have a completely fresh face to get to know.
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Oct 05, 2013 10:19 pm

With the amount of delaying in the filming of VDT, they were very lucky that Will Poulter stayed short enough to play a 12-13 year old, and that his voice didn't break. He was already in his mid teens, and by the time the moratorium allows new filming he will be well into his 20s. He is, as has been mentioned, a well built, tall, deepish voiced young man.
No, this would not work.
However I would like to see a boy of similar looks (light brown hair, freckles, strong facial features), aged no more than 15, whose voice has still not broken - or only just. Will was good at using his voice to show emotion, which suggested at times that it was on the verge of breaking.
I can see a makeup credit being needed for the person who reproduced "Eustace's Eyebrows" to resemble Will's distinctive ones!

There is one further reason I think it would be unwise to re-cast Will; he has just played a young man in a film with material that would not be good to associate with the Narnia franchise.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lilygloves » Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm

The youngest I can see Will Poulter passing as is maybe a freshman in high school, so about 13 or 14. Even that is a stretch. I thought he was perfect in VDT, but it depends on whether they're continuing or rebooting the series. If they're picking up where it left off, I would actually want Will to come back as Eustace. However, if it's a reboot, I wouldn't recommend it. Make the movie it's own, independent thing and give the characters something fresh- possibly their canon age.
I don't really have any suggestions for who should play Eustace, but I'm feeling pretty sure that it won't be Will Poulter.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

If the only reason why you don't want Will Poulter do be recast is that it creates "too much of an opening for a romance between Eustace and Jill", that's pretty pathetic. Have a little more faith in Douglas Greshem! I doubt that there will be any romance, BUT just the thought of it is just as scary is if they casted Tilda Swinton as LOTGK! :-s
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Impending Doom » Mar 11, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm actually quite surprised by the poll on the front page. 80% of voters still want Will to return. :-o I would have assumed it would have been a 60 40 thing. I think they're going to recast him but I'm not too sure.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 29, 2014 12:12 am

I keep changing my mind on this. First I was all for it to have Will return and then I wasn't and now I'm for it again. Will has succeeded a lot lately in the industry. If he came back I wonder how lucrative the box office will be with having Poulter back in SC. It would do Narnia good. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 7:12 pm

I honestly couldn't bring myself to vote in the poll. ;)) This is probably one of the most annoying things about the moratorium. Will Poulter as Eustace was one of the few things about VDT that I wholeheartedly applauded, and it's really hard to see the character recast for that reason. If I hadn't been so pleased with his performance, it would be much easier to see someone else take the role, but because I was so impressed, I keep trying to figure out a way for him to return.

The problem is, he looks like he's completely grown up now. He looks like a young man and his voice has considerably deepened. Recasting him seems like it might change the feel of The Silver Chair, especially since it would seem that they'd have to bump Jill's age up to around sixteen or so. I personally think that the story works better if they're around twelve or thirteen. However, I've also considered the possibility that they could stagger their ages; have Jill be around thirteen or fourteen with Eustace supposed to be a couple years older. (In a way, this could be a really good thing because it could make their relationship seem more like a brother/sister one than something that Hollywood would want to turn into an annoying "romance".) Still, it would change a lot and I'm not sure it's worth it just to recast Will.

I can't say I have any ideas on who a good fit might be for the role, but I think I'd like it if the boy at least looked somewhat like Will Poulter, i.e. freckles and blond hair. Not so much because I care about continuity with VDT, but because I care about continuity with the character that Poulter brought to life.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext