This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The White Witch

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

The White Witch

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jul 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Here is the thread to discuss the White Witch's portrayal, specifically in Walden's movies.

Here are a couple of questions to get things started.
Which scenes were well done?
Which scenes felt like they were taken right out of the book?
Which scenes were wrong?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: The White Witch

Postby De_De » Jul 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Ooooo the White Witch. I really like Tilda as the Witch. She was just awesome.
Which scenes were well done? I love the scene were we first meet her. When you see her standing next to the sled, you just feel power. You know that she is evil, but she has this presence about her that just draws you to her. Another scene I just love is the whole battle scene. It shows her whole power and cruleness. I just loved her outfit and her, again, power. And number three is the scene with Mr. Tumnes in the dungen. It's there you see that he is really really sorry about what he has done, and he still belives in a free Narnia. And it's there we see the Witch as she really is.
Which scenes felt like they were taken right out of the book? Oh definalty when Jadis comes to Aslan's Camp. When I read the book after watching the movie, I just saw that whole scene in my mind like it was in the movie. It just felt right
Which were wrong? Well my least favorite scene was actually Aslan's death. It seemed a bit weak. At first the scene seemed quite freaky to me, but when I read the book, somehow it didn't seem right. In that scene everything is so intense but the Witch seems a bit, I don't know calm. I was hoping for some agressivnes from her.
Now we turn to PC. Did you like the fact that they put her there& I mean in the book they don't even call her up yet, but I actually liked the way they did it in the movie. It added some spice to the movie. What do you guys think?
I won't even get started on VDT. Totally extra character in the movie!
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby GlimGlum » Jul 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Which scenes were well done?
I liked the castle scenes with Edmund and the WW, including the one with Mr. Tumnus in the dungeon. Also the appearance in Aslan's camp. :ymapplause:

Which scenes felt like they were taken right out of the book?
The Stone Table. I read the book after seeing LWW and that struck me as being very close to what I was reading. :)

Which scenes were wrong?
PC: She is not supposed to appear at all (IMHO). :-o But at least better than in VDT. :D
VDT appearances: :-$ No way Hozay. Not B-)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby starkat » Jul 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I cannot stand the fact that they had her present in PC and VDT in the Walden movies. The portrayal of the White Witch was fantastic in LWW, but they went entirely too far in bringing her back in the next two.

Probably my favorite scene would be where she meets Edmund for the first time as you can see her switch from evil to an attempt at motherly to win Edmund's trust.

That scene also felt like it was pretty much right out of the book. I do wish the sleigh had been a tiny bit wider, but that's a technicality not related to the acting ability.
starkat

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jul 06, 2013 6:51 pm

starkat wrote: I do wish the sleigh had been a tiny bit wider, but that's a technicality not related to the acting ability.

Really? That never personally occurred to me. May I ask why you wish that the sleigh was wider than it was? :)

I thought Tilda Swinton's portrayal of the White Witch was brilliant. She was so easily able to switch back and forth from her true personality of being hard as stone and merciless to being kind and gentle. A particular scene in which I very much enjoyed the portrayal of the White Witch was her first meeting of Edmund. Even while she was able to appear to be sweet and kind to Edmund when they first met, she also showed her inner evil intentions at the same time simply through a single, momentary expression (which only the viewer gets to see).

I guess a lot of the other scenes in which I appreciate her character are the same as what other posters in this thread have already said. Many of her scenes with Aslan are excellent -- from their first meeting, to Aslan's death. Her character smoothly shows the transitions between her fake niceness and her real self.

While her appearance in PC actually had a foundation in the book -- unlike VDT -- my opinion is that the scene does damage to the characters of Peter and Caspian. I really think the filmmakers should have had Caspian in the very least try a lot harder to stop the ice wall from forming and the Witch from appearing. (And even when Peter comes in to stop the entire process -- which is true to the book -- why did he also need to fall under the Witch's spell? Was it that easy for him to forget all of the events in LWW?)

Her appearance in VDT doesn't have much a foundation in contrast. It is interesting because I never thought of her appearing in Edmund's nightmares before, but after her appearance in PC too, and with the way all of her scenes have been scripted, it all adds up to start becoming random and overkill. When villains die, I don't believe they should be allowed to return and try to tempt the main characters multiple times. :p
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Jul 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Her dress and furs looked a bit scrunched. A slight increase in width would have allowed for a much better look at her dress as well as avoid the impression she was squished in especially when Edmund came up and sat "beside" her.
starkat

Postby De_De » Jul 07, 2013 10:40 am

I don't know how the filmakers even got it into their heads to stick her into VDT. I liked the way Lady Galadrielput it:
"When villains die, I don't believe they should be allowed to return and try to tempt the main characters multiple times"
I mean seriously, isn't that the whole point of killing villians to get rid of them? I have to admit it was an interensting idea, but I just didn't see how her presence was even rellevent to VDT? She didn't move the story on, and who even said that Edmund had nightmares about her. In the series, the only other time we hear Ed remembering about the Witch was in HHB, and even then it wasn't really about the Witch, but how traitors can change. So I think there is absolutly no foundation for the Witch in VDT
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Pretzel » Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Tilda Swinton did a spectacular job playing the White Witch. She was just brilliant. I enjoy quoting her lines every now and then because I love how she delivered them.

I truly liked that they had her return in Prince Caspian. She did a fantastic job. And that scene really showed you how Peter was so messed up in the head that a for a moment he actually thought that help from her would be better than help from Aslan. He was only thinking of himself and that's how he was able to get sucked in. It's not something book Peter had a problem with, but it was very interesting to see a character slip. And then his face when he sees that image of Aslan behind where the witch had been. It would have been great to see Peter a bit more repentent though.

I do think her appearance in Voyage was unnecessary.. They should have just stopped with Prince Caspian. But I guess that was all they could think of to give Edmund as his nightmare.
Pretzel
NarniaWeb Regular