This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Coriakin?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Coriakin?

Postby veritas » Oct 24, 2009 9:16 am

Hello,

I've only read TLWW but enjoyed both narnia movies very much. I can say that they are one of my favorite movies of all time. I always recommend them to all my Christian friends.

Now recently i heard there will be a magicien in VODT named Coriakin and im a bit concerned. So i'm very glad if someone can tell me what the part is of this Coriakin. Is it innocent or do i have to be carefull to recommend this movie to children and parents in church? I'm not really fond of magiciens in movies because kids arent that good in separating innocent magiciens from evil ones. And they might be drawn into the world magic in our world.

So can someone please thake away my concernes and tell me what this coriakin will be doing in the VODT?

Regards,
Veritas
veritas
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Coriakin?

Postby icarus » Oct 24, 2009 10:30 am

Lots of good background information on Coriakins role in the book can be found in the NarniaWeb character profiles. The profile is probably as detailed as you can get, considering he is only in 1 chapter of the book (Chapter 11, the last of the 3 Dufflepud Island chapters)

http://wiki.narniaweb.com/index.php/Coriakin

As for how he will be depicted in the movie though, your guess is as good as anyone elses. Aside from the fact that he will be played by Bille Brown, we know nothing about the nature of his role in the movie, and how it may or may not have been changed/expanded/etc.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Oct 24, 2009 12:43 pm

In the case of this magician, we can assume he is a kind, good and uses the power he has been given only for helpful and useful things. (although his changing the Duffles into monopods was rather whimsical, and not everyone would say it was kind).
He is really a star, and has been given the task of supervising the Dufflepuds as a punishment of some sort. The children are not allowed to know what he did wrong.
I think your friends will be fine if you tell them that Coriakin is a kindly old man who used to be a star, has been given a task to do and some special power to use in that task. His respect and love for Aslan are a good indicator that Lewis intends us to feel comfortable about the magic he uses.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Peepiceeka » Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

The character of Coriakin is perfectly acceptable, to in turn recommend VDT to your friends. No worries! The author himself was a Christian, which doesn't always mean that the books are, but in this case, yes.
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

For that matter, some people have a problem with Coriakin being a fallen star.
He has a book of magic spells in his house and Lucy uses one or two, but there is a clear distinction between using magic for good and using it for evil.
I'm not sure how Coriakin's powers will be portrayed in the movie though. :-\
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Don't worry about Coriakin. He's a very kind, friendly magician. The Dufflepuds in the book do think otherwise, but that's because they're "silly." Aslan and Coriakin are, in fact, friends.

I see no cause for concern here.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I wonder what he did to be disgraced lol, I mean what do stars do? :-\ :p
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie