This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Best & Worst Character Changes from the Books

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Best & Worst Character Changes from the Books

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

There were some obvious changes to certain characters in the 3 Walden Narnia movies. Some changes may even be considered good by some bad by others. So here goes.

Two I really didn’t like were: Peter in PC and Susan in PC.

With Peter I just thought they went too far with his frustrations of not being the
High King who’s in charge. He came across too much as a moody jerk in a number of scenes which was very unlike book Peter. =;

With Susan, although she does shoot (in the helmet ) the Telmarine in book PC, she does not become the Warrior as in the movie PC; she is still Susan the Gentle. I thought they should have at least had a “transition scene” where they could have presented a reason or motive for Her change in character, :-\

That’s it for now for me; can’t think of anymore bad ones or good ones at the moment. Looking forward to other comments on this from those who care to share them. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: Best & Worst Character Changes from the Books

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Nov 05, 2011 1:32 pm

One of the character changes I did not like at all, as many others don't like, is Peter in PC. I am starting to re-read PC the book right now, and Peter is far different in the film. He is very much a jerk and thinks he can do it all by himself. I thought that really went against his character in LWW when he was not confident that he could beat the White Witch's army. A High King would certainly not act the way like Peter did in PC the film.

Another change in a character I have not really liked, and talked about less often than I thought, was Aslan's character. He, even in LWW, the common fan favorite, was portrayed as rather a sidekick to the children and Narnians rather than the one who would indeed save Narnia for sure. For example: In LWW the movie, it was the children, not Aslan, who was causing the snow to melt. =; Aslan was a little too gentle and tame for my tastes, as in this world and Narnia, He is not a tame lion at all. I imagined Him as being larger and fiercer looking. And I just felt that there was little mystery surrounding Him.

On the other hand, there have been some changes I have liked. Susan in PC I actually liked somewhat in some ways. She wasn't as "girly", I'll just call her that, and even though she fought a bit more than I would have liked, at least she wasn't portrayed as a helpless damsel, and a lot of her character from the book was present at the same time. :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Nic5 » Nov 05, 2011 3:03 pm

For Peter's change in the movie adaption, i think you would understand it more if Horse & His Boy get's made, & we see the respect Peter is held in even by his enemies as High King at the least, or maybe even a cameo at end battle helping save the day, not too mention how Narnia flourished under his Kingship.

Then it wold be more understandable, seeing how his frustrations have grown compared to being pushed around by school boys.

Also his change is part of the greater theme of the story, as are the character's of Miraz and coming of age Telmarine Prince Caspian being involved in the same theme.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lilygloves » Nov 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I don't think anyone really liked Peter's attitude in PC. It's kind of understandable that he would want the power and respect he got in LWW, but they went to far. It made him a disagreeable character to watch.

And I agree that Susan's character change was odd. She didn't care to fight in battles in HHB and I don't think she would want to be that close in the battle and that close to the action. Maybe Lucy, but definitely not Susan.

I didn't like how all the characters got credit for doing all that great stuff and defeating the green mist in VDT. It was very Eustace and Lucy and Edmund centered. Aslan didn't seem to do much. They didn't even give him credit, but to be fair he didn't do much for him to get credit. And when Aslan was showing Lucy that "It's a Wonderful Life" scene, it didn't seem like Aslan talking. I can't really explain it, but it just wasn't in character.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

It seems so far that we can all really agree on Peter's character for PC. I agree that he was too "in charge"- a little too bossy-boots. Not to mention, there was a bit of a whiney side to Peter- especially at the railway station when he proclaims he used to be king. There's not really anything to respect him for as a High King.

As for Susan, I actually didn't mind the character change in PC (that's not to say it was my favorite either). I think it would have been odd to see the Susan from LWW saving Edmund, by taking out Ginnabrik, to a complainer and whiner in PC. Also, I have managed to turn a few moments in the film as 'Susan the Warrior' into 'Susan the Gentle'. For one, we are dealing with a time of war in PC, fighting is to be expected for the kings and queens. Susan does not shoot to kill against the Telmarine soldiers who have captured Trumpkin (her first shot is more of a warning that hits their boat, second was defensive). At the meeting within Aslan's How, in the discussion of whether to attack Miraz's castle, Susan pipes in with "digging in" at the How. This could be seen as her again acting in defense (as an archer would) and not wanting to go into combat directly. However, since she makes this comment in connection to Caspian's thought, it could be seen as her defending him, but, personally, I really do not want to see it that way (I prefer the more noble of the two). The other two scenes that come to mind are the bear attack paired with Susan and Lucy riding through the woods. With the bear, Susan is on the defense (again) with arrow on the string, but cannot bring herself to shoot the bear (being gentle and tenderhearted). In comparison, while in the woods, I see it as though Susan feels she needs to redeem herself for not being able to save Lucy from the bear, she will save her from the Telmarines. That is why she must take up arms against them. To me, I don't see her as the warrior, it's more of a defender and protector. She's doing the most she can to be gentle in a time of war. In that respect, her character change from the book doesn't bother me.

The only other real character change that I can think of that bothers me is Edmund in VDT. It mirrors too much of Peter in PC. If they want to whine so much about being kings, then why don't they act like them? I can't really imagine a king sticking his tongue out at his uncle, however much he despises him (not really something you saw with Caspian against Miraz was it). Edmund also shows this sort of behavior at Deathwater. It's hard to see him get angry for being a "second king" to Peter and Caspian when he had respect for Peter in PC (willing to join him in the fight at the railway station for example). Edmund is a character you can root for in PC (with his change in LWW), but something does a 180 when we come to VDT.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Nic5 » Nov 08, 2011 2:18 pm

If you watch Prince Caspian a few times, you will start to notice that when Peter hasn't got the chip on his shoulder, he is the nice Peter.
And he was right about the Castle Raid, it would have worked if not for Caspian's first bungle. And he let Caspian go find his tutor against his better judgement.

Once the White Witch episode has occurred, Peter along with Caspian both regain their pespectives on their problems, Peter having Lucy go off into the woods to find Aslan for one.

By the end of PC Peter has been redeemed, also he knows he had fallen in a human way to what was redeemed in LW&W from the more super-natural. This is one of the main themes of the wider issues in Prince Caspian the book.

Though i agree the same Edmund mirroring of power issues in VODT was whack! Edmund had some good scenes in VODT, would of been good if they had had some story meaning :|
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Hmm,you'vre brought up some interesting insights for Peter's character Nic5. That certainly helps put a new perspective on it for me. It does makes sense with his frustrations going from a well respected High King to be being bothered by fellow school mates. To me, Peter was more of a big brother that you would want to have in LWW, but not so much in PC. I think that was my main issue with his character in PC (not to mention his fighting with Caspian). However, your comments Nic5 do help in understanding a bit more on Peter's actions.

And, after re-watching LWW, I can agree with Louloudi the Centaur on Aslan's character. I didn't have a problem with the portrayal or anything, but I have noticed now that there is a lacking in the power (for lack of a better word) of Aslan's character. This mainly comes up in the discussion at the Beaver's home- "Aslan's return... It's all happening because of you." and "...two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia". It seems clear to me that Aslan is thought of, as has been stated before, a "side-kick" to the Pevensies. Much of a flip-flop from the book. It certainly isn't something that ruins the film for me, but it's definitely something that I notice now.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic