This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Old King Caspian (SC)

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Old King Caspian (SC)

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 01, 2011 7:18 pm

I know it may be a few years before another Narnia movie hits the screen, whether SC or MN or even something else. Still, I thought I'd start a thread for old King Caspian in The Silver Chair - since I didn't see one in this forum. :)

TWO POSSIBILITIES:
A. Ben Barnes (aged)
B. Another actor (preferably a senior citizen)

My suggestions:
A. Ben said in a few VDT interviews in Nov-Dec 2010 that he'd like to appear as the old king in SC, if it's aesthetically possible (makeup, hair, etc). Otherwise, he'd settle for a cameo as the young king. Yet I don't know if this casting is reasonable. I'd rather see someone else in the role. :p

B. I suggested two actors in the Uncle Andrew casting thread. But I think one or both might work for old King Caspian. What do you think? :)

Christopher Plummer http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/
Donald Sutherland http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/
220chrisTian

Re: Old King Caspian (SC)

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Oct 01, 2011 7:57 pm

If Ben Barnes doesn't come back as old King Caspian, how about Jeremy Irons? I think he bears some resemblance to Barnes and he is a very excellent actor. Fun fact: Jeremy Irons' nickname is "King". ;;) :p

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000460/
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 03, 2011 11:59 am

Louloudi ... Thanks for responding! I can see you have faith in Narnia 4, unlike everybody else. :ymhug:

Jeremy Irons: not a bad choice! He's older, a strong actor, I guess he looks like an older Ben. I'm not too good with resemblances. And the nickname is interesting. :)

Problem: I want the old King to have a pleasing, soft, gentle face. This is how he came across to me in the book. But Irons doesn't really have that. His face has always seemed too harsh to me. The "soft, gentle face" thing is partly why I picked Plummer and Sutherland, or rather why they came to my mind. I know Sutherland isn't British, but maybe he can pull this off. I wonder if he's ever played a Brit. :-\
220chrisTian

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 03, 2011 12:24 pm

I have to admit, it'd be loads of fun to see Ben play old Caspian. I'm not sure he could pull it off, though, especially since he seems to be getting more and more roles...

So I also like Christopher Plummer for the role.

But I always pictured Caspian, even though in his 60's, looking much older. What about Max von Sydow? He's pretty much exactly how I imagined an elderly King Caspian.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001884/
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Oct 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I agree ChristProclamer, It would be hilarious to see Ben Barnes as an Old Caspian, but it is very difficult for a young actor to play old. It would be cool if they could get like his father or grandfather to play his older self, which is what they did with Georgie in LWW for the older Lucy. They had her older sister play Lucy. But that's probably not going to happen.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby D-T » Oct 06, 2011 6:18 pm

I agree Lilygloves! they could get Ben's father, and even if he's not an actor, since old Caspian doesn't have many lines at all.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Oct 08, 2011 7:47 am

I say throw Ben in make up. I think he could pull off Old Caspian. Besides, you guys are right. He IS getting more roles, which could prove helpful for the box office if he gains more fans and then goes back to Narnia. Of course you could have some other big name actor and that would have the same effect. Not that numbers are the most important thing... but they do help :p

I don't have any suggestions besides aging Ben. I really hate it when they change actors for any reason, but I could understand if they wanted to in this case. Still, anything is possible these days. People can be in movies. Dwarfs, fauns, minotours, centaurs, hags, you name it. So why can't Ben be old?
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslansChild » Oct 08, 2011 1:27 pm

I agree with AslanIsOnTheMove...make in Barnes. He's getting a whole bunch of different roles now, he's pretty much the jack of all trades, or, dare I say it...Johnny Depp. lol

But yeah, I think he could pull that off, easy.

When I think of him as an Old King Caspian, all I think off are these pictures, probably because he looks kinda pale, and I guess that's what I pictured OKC to look like.

Mr Barnes: If by any small chance you read that ^...sorry, didn't mean to say you looked ill or old. Just my honest opinion. ymwhisle ^#(^

"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut