This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

If Johnny Depp was in a Narnia movie...

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Postby FB92 » Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

What role do you think he would best play and why?
But courage, child: we are all between the paws of the true Aslan.
- Web Developer & Movie fanatic
FB92
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: If Johnny Depp was in a Narnia movie...

Postby AslansChild » Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

I'd scream in terror and be very upset. WHAT IN THE WIDE WORLD WOULD HE PLAY!?! PUDDLE-GLUM?

Ugh, Depp is NOT my favorite actor, Willy Wonka was weird, and so is Edward Scissorhands, and POTC...just don't get me started...
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am

I don't think, I know Johnny Depp is a great actor. I wish people would learn to separate his Tim Burton and Jack Sparrow roles from his other works. The guy is very versatile and has that great actor persona about him. I belive if an actor can't be versatile then they shouldn't be acting.

Seriously look at his other films like Nick of Time, Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Finding Neverland, Public Enemies, Chocolat, etc. Another thing what makes him great is that he never messes up while the camera is rolling, the only time if he has to shoot a scene over is if the camera man does something wrong, not Johnny. He's a natural and a genius. He's a Hollywood Legend that will be remembered 3000 years from now. ;)

Back on topic yes I can really see Johnny in the role of either Puddleglum or Uncle Andrew, I know he can pull off both comedic, dramatic and weird performances (as I stated above "versatile") He can also bring in more fans to see the Narnia films which will be a good thing for the Narnia franchise at the moment. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Sep 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Hmm, well, uh, to start with, it would be kind of weird to see Johnny Depp in a Narnia film in my opinion. :p 8-}

Maybe he could try some more voice acting? I've heard that his performance in Rango was pretty good. I don't know which non-human character he could play, but you never know.

On the other hand, since he often gets the role of "crazy characters" like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, I think he could do a great Uncle Andrew.

Johnny Depp probably isn't my number one choice for actors to appear in The Chronicles of Narnia film series, but you just never know.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Sep 14, 2011 2:36 pm

The only role I could see Johnny Depp playing is Uncle Andrew. A rather young Uncle Andrew ;)) but I can see that character played anywhere from 40-60 years old.

ETA: Actually, I could see him voicing some characters. His voice isn't terribly far off from how I imagined Strawberry/Fledge.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby FB92 » Sep 16, 2011 12:35 am

Helena will more than likely have a better chance because of the fact she was in Harry Potter.

But I agree with Puddleglum. Uncle Andrew... I don't really see Depp fitting into that role to be honest.
But courage, child: we are all between the paws of the true Aslan.
- Web Developer & Movie fanatic
FB92
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PuddleCheep » Sep 16, 2011 5:23 pm

I think Depp would make a great Uncle Andrew, but NOT Puddleglum! If not him, than Jim Carrey could be a great Uncle Andrew. Johnny could bring some new Narnia fans in!
PuddleCheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Puddleglum would require a bit of makeup so that could open the door for Mr. Johnny Depp. But I think an eccentric human type like Uncle Andrew would best suit Captain Jack's real-life persona. ;)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby wizardjna » Sep 20, 2011 8:14 pm

I like Johnny Depp, and his acting is weird so I agree to see it as Uncle Andrew, maybe Jim Carrey wouldn't accept that role. anyway it could be great to see him on narnia
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger; Strike the bell and bide the danger, Or
wonder, till it drives you mad, What would have followed if you had.
wizardjna
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Princess Anna » Sep 21, 2011 11:44 am

*has been thinking on this since seeing it (the thread) last night*

As much as I agree with you that Johnny Depp is a talented and versatile actor, I don't think I'd like having him involved with Narnia. :ymblushing: It just doesn't "fit", and would make it a "Johnny Depp show" and not the stories we love. If "my" ( ;)) ) books are gonna be adapted (even in a not-so-hot adaptation), I want them to stand on their own merit... not be a vehicle for some famous person. I much prefer having unknowns/lesser knowns in the roles... so one can focus on the story being told.

That said, IF he was involved, there is only ONE ROLE I can see him playing... Uncle Andrew. Maybe, maybe a voice role, though... I'm not sure.

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, to involve him. But in my opinion, it wouldn't be the best idea. Sorry!
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 23, 2011 5:43 pm

That said, IF he was involved, there is only ONE ROLE I can see him playing... Uncle Andrew. Maybe, maybe a voice role, though... I'm not sure.

That is a shame. I don't think that Johnny Depp is a good fit for Uncle Andrew, from what I have seen of him. Yes, I can see him as Rabadash in HHB, as he has the right amount of flamboyant ridiculousness. I can also see him being able to play a two-faced sort of romantic lover for Susan.

But Uncle Andrew is something else. More like a cross between HP's Ollivander and Argus Filch. Ollivander (John Hurt) has the right sort of hairdo, and Argus Filch (David Bradbury) has the right sort of bodily movements down pat. What you need is someone so up himself in the first place who cringes in obedience to Jadis, and whose attitude is completely selfish and materialistic in Narnia. I think someone like David Bradbury would be a much better match for Uncle Andrew, rather than Johnny Depp.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby D-T » Sep 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't think jonny should be in a Narnia movie. since he is jonny depp
and Narnia is Narnia. but if he did he should play some kind of villian
maybe that Calmorine cheif guy (I forgot his name) in LB
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...