This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Pevensie Arc in VDT

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

The Pevensie Arc in VDT

Postby 8SilverSky » May 29, 2011 10:20 am

Hey everyone. Yesterday a whole lot of thoughts came into my head about the development of Edmund and Lucy in Narnia 3. Get ready, this is a long post.

Edmund and Lucy do not feel like they belong in England anymore. They're longing for something more; somewhere where they belong and are looked up to (Narnia). They think that Susan and Peter are more important than they are. In the beginning of the movie, after having read Susan's letter, there's a small conversation between Edmund and Lucy before Eustace interrupts them:

Lucy: "Susan and Peter are the lucky ones. Off on adventures..."
Edmund: "Yeah, they're the oldest, and we're the youngest: we don't matter as much."

After the painting with the "Narnian looking ship" somewhat brightens their mood, Edmund says:

"Just another reminder that we're here and not there."

The two siblings would rather be in Narnia than in England. Eustace, moments later, calling them "orphans" only makes things worse for Edmund and Lucy, believing their parents have somewhat abandoned them to go away with Peter and Susan to America.

Throughout the course of the movie, Lucy and Edmund seem to come to realize their value to their own family.

Lucy finds this out by trying to being more like her sister, thinking that beauty will earn her more respect. She learns that she is making a large mistake, as she is reminded of the huge impact she has made to her siblings.

Edmund feels like he is less important than Peter throughout the movie. Refusing to use Rhindon, Peter's sword, he thinks he's not worthy of using it, as it belonged to Peter. Later on, Edmund accepts Rhindon before going into Dark Island, when Caspian says to him:

"Peter would want you to have it."

Edmund and Lucy both realize that they, too, are important, like the others. They still have a place and belong in their family. At the end of the movie, after having arrived at Aslan's Country, Edmund and Lucy have another small conversation:

Edmund: "I think perhaps it's time we went home actually, Lu."
Lucy: "But I thought you loved it here?
Edmund: "I do, but I love home, and our family as well. They need us."

While Edmund and Lucy both still love being in Narnia (mainly because of Aslan), they finally understand that they're still important to their family, and that they belong back home in England.

I would love to hear what all you people think of this. This all came to me as I was getting ready to sleep last night, and I just had to make a post about it. I think temptation is one of the less subtle themes used in the movie. The theme of belonging is just more spread throughout the movie, but it's there.
8SilverSky
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: The Pevensie Arc in VDT

Postby cipher » May 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Edmund and Lucy learned that their family is their most important thing in the world. What I personally think is that what Edmund and Lucy really want, is to have their entire family moved to Narnia where they can live happily ever after, which they did in LB.
cipher
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Shy Galadriel » May 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Good thinking, 8SilverSky! Now that you mention it, that element does stand out a bit. I think that the script writers might have included a bit better than they did, but it is an excellent element and plot line. It helps improve my opinion of the movie when you bring it in that light.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 29, 2011 8:27 pm

this has stood out to me since the very first time I saw VotDT :D
awesome post! it's very inherent in the story the way the movie shows it that Edmund and Lucy learn lessons that they need during the voyage for the return trip to their own world. :) :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby wild rose » Jun 02, 2011 12:21 pm

you know actually I didn't notice that part in the end, I guess I was too busy crying :) Somehow for me that whole theme was very lost in the movie, could be just me, but I really failed to see it, maybe I was busy critisizing everything I didn't like and getting upset about the green mist (should rewatch the movie sometime soon :D ) but you are right, the theme is there, now that I stop to think about it :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby juzuma loves lucy » Jun 05, 2011 11:11 pm

wild rose wrote:you know actually I didn't notice that part in the end, I guess I was too busy crying :) Somehow for me that whole theme was very lost in the movie, could be just me, but I really failed to see it, maybe I was busy critisizing everything I didn't like and getting upset about the green mist (should rewatch the movie sometime soon :D ) but you are right, the theme is there, now that I stop to think about it :)
I saw that, but I also cried, so I think that they traveled to few places and things. Eustace called them orphans, because look, in LWW their dad is a soldier and mum is far away. Do you understand? Listen to beatiful melody when Pevensies are going to Beavers in LWW.
juzuma loves lucy
NarniaWeb Nut