This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Best portrayed "Child" thus far?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Of all the "Child" portrayals thus far, who do you think is the best and why?

Georgie Henley / Lucy
55%
Skandar Keynes / Edmund
8%
Anna Popplewell / Susan
3%
William Moseley / Peter
3%
Ben Barnes / Caspian
3%
Will Poulter / Eustace
30%

Total votes : 40

Best portrayed "Child" thus far?

Postby fantasia » May 17, 2011 12:56 pm

We're three movies down with potentially four more to go. Who has been your favorite "child" portrayal in the three Walden/Disney/Fox movies so far and why? And I'm not necessarily talking just about casting and acting, but character adaptation as well.

For me, it goes in this order.....

Georgie Henley/Lucy - I remember when Georgie was cast back in the day. We received the first picture of her and everyone was IMMEDIATELY up in arms because she wasn't blonde like in the book. But I cannot imagine anyone playing Lucy as well as our Georgie has. She's been brilliant. And from an adaptation standpoint, I feel like the filmmakers have understood her character better than any other of the major characters in these movies.

Skandar Keynes/Edmund - A close second to the above. I've loved watching Skandar as Edmund and I think he's portrayed the character marvelously. The reason he's second to Georgie/Lucy is because I felt like the filmmakers missed the mark on this character a bit in VDT. But I loved their interpretation in LWW and PC.

Will Poulter/Eustace - Again, loved the casting choice, and Will made a brilliant Eustace. Interestingly enough though, out of the six choices I've listed here, I think the filmmakers interpretation of the character is the most different from the book. Or at least, he came across as a very different Eustace than I was expecting to see. In the book, Eustace is so obnoxious, I was kind of dreading watching him on the screen, but Will's Eustace was a good deal more funny and less irritating than I was expecting. One of the few things I enjoyed in VDT.

Anna Popplewell/Susan - Perfect casting, and in LWW, perfectly portrayed and acted. However, I did not appreciate Warrior Susan in PC which was a huge departure from the book, and while the kiss worked for me as part of her character, I didn't really like that either as it was such a Hollywood thing to do. But ironically, my favorite scene with Susan was in PC when she was lying next to the campfire with Lucy and Lucy asks her if she's happy to be back in Narnia and Susan replies "while it lasts." Spot on!

Ben Barnes/Caspian - Poor Ben is probably my least favorite casting choice out of the six. ;)) It wasn't necessarily that I disliked the choice, but he's my age for crying out loud. And while a lot of people felt he did a good job portraying a "young" Caspian in PC, I couldn't make it work for me. He was a mid-20s Caspian in PC which I wasn't a huge fan of. I justified it to myself by saying "well, he'll look awesome in VDT at least" but he ended up being almost a minor character compared to Lucy, Edmund, Eustace and Reepicheep. As far as character interpretation goes, I thought he was ok, but could have been better. Acting was good. :)

Will Moseley/Peter - Ah Will. Poor, poor, Will. ;)) I loved him in LWW. And I hated him in PC. But it's not Will's fault the character interpretation of Peter was so far off in PC and Will did do a splendid job of acting the part out. I just couldn't tolerate the egotistical, woe-is-me, bully that Aslan chose to be High King of Narnia. Should these movies ever be made again, I hope to see a REAL High King.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Best portrayed "Child" thus far?

Postby georgiefan1 » May 17, 2011 3:55 pm

I voted for Georgie, she captures the character perfectly and really owns it. I read and heard people say that she IS Lucy, and I couldn't agree more
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant » May 17, 2011 6:07 pm

I voted for Georgie as Lucy as well. If we are going by adaption,I think she was pretty much perfect for that role. Her character was the best interpreted by the screenwriters.

I loved Will Poulter as well, however I think there was a few differences from the book- not that I like Movie!Eustace any less beacuse of that. Its just that the adaption of Lucy was more faithful to the book.

Edmund is also one of the best interpreted characters in the movies. I didn't put him first because, again, I think Lucy's character was slightly more faithful. I think in the movie they made Edmund more sympathetic than he is in the book. Again, I don't like the character any less because of that, but it is a little different. He was really good in PC as well, but I don't think they put enough of him ;). His character was a little weak in VDT, but most of the characters were...

So Skander as Edmund and Will Poulter as Eustace are tied for second in my opinion.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » May 17, 2011 10:03 pm

I voted for Georgie because I thought she was the most authentically realized character from the books and we got to see her truly mature from little girl to young woman, see her relationship/friendship with Aslan develop in a natural way, agree with FK that they did develop her character pretty well through the movies....except in VDT...which was a letdown.

Also agree with Valiant and place Edmund and Eustace in second. Edmund's character is pretty much developed as well as Lucy's is, though again in VDT...there was a letdown there. Eustace, I agree with FK was different from the book Eustace, but I like the comedic touch given to him by Will P. and the scriptwriters in the VDT movie. There's so much potential in future movies for Eustace's character development, he could rank as high as Lucy possibly if this poll were run again after/if they make the rest of the movies. ;)

Susan and Peter were never really my favorites in the books. They portrayed Susan well in the movies except for the Suspian lapse which I hated so much and didn't make sense nor was true to the book Susan and Peter was great and compassionate in LWW but seems to have had a personality transplant between LWW and PC.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Joey-Woey » May 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I love all the actors in these movies especially the "kids". I went with Georgie as Lucy. It's like she was born to play her. I never imagined Lucy with blonde hair even though I read the books long before the movies, so her looks are perfect too.
Skandar and Will Poulter are amazing actors and the character development for both is pretty close except for a few little issues. They tie at second for me.
The problems with Caspian, Peter and Susan in PC were painful :( . But Peter and Susan were great in LWW and Caspian was redeemed in VDT, so it's all good. ;)
Joey-Woey
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 19, 2011 2:59 am

I'd really like for 'Joey-Woey' to tell me how Caspian was 'redeemed' in VDT. :) Don't get me wrong, because I thought Ben Barnes as Caspian did well in both PC and VDT. Without saying anything about the performances of any of the other child actors/actresses in these productions, or those productions' divergences from the original source material, I still think Ben Barnes did a splendid and consistent job of portraying this Narnian king, in his lifespan development.

Arguably, for some time prior to the Walden/Fox/Disney productions I was and still am seriously biased in the direction of having the same actor play Prince or King Caspian all the way through to SC. That was always my main complaint against the BBC productions. We need to see Caspian as the child realising he is being got at because of Miraz, as the VDT king learning something about leadership and finally, learning in a most tragic way about the importance of succession planning.

Otherwise, I liked Georgie Henley's Lucy much better than the BBC version of Lucy. I think she did a very believable Lucy. As for Will Poulter's character, Eustace, much as I thought he did well in the last film, I await his participation in the future SC, if and when it occurs. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » May 19, 2011 7:24 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:I'd really like for 'Joey-Woey' to tell me how Caspian was 'redeemed' in VDT. :)

I can't speak for Joey-Woey, though I suspect that like me, she was annoyed at the (imho) unnecessary side themes of squabbling with Peter for power and romance with Susan, which were put in place of seeing Caspian grow from a young child who is terrified of his Uncle, to a boy who is awed and overjoyed at the discovery the Old Narnians still exist, to a young King who doesn't actually want to be King but Aslan believes he will do well.

I just get so sick and tired of the "Wimpy Hero Syndrome" that has overtaken Hollywood. "What's this? We have a character that makes the right choices? Or only little mistakes? Well we can't have that! Let's have him royally screw up and be a complete jerk, but redeem himself in the end! That's far more exciting!" 8-} :ymsick: X(

But Caspian was far more accurate to the book in VDT, which is what I suspect Joey-Woey means by "redeemed". She can correct me if I'm wrong. :)

stateofgreen wrote:...agree with FK that they did develop [Lucy's] character pretty well through the movies....except in VDT...which was a letdown.

I do agree they missed the mark with Lucy a bit in regards to her relationship with Aslan, which they nailed in the first two movies... I was just curious if that's what you were referring to?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DamselJillPole » May 19, 2011 9:35 am

Lucy, Edmund and Eustace are the best portrayed to me so far. But I choose Eustace.

Reason being I still cant get PC Lucy and Edmund out of my head and I'm hurt over the changes that were made in that eye wrenching film. X( Even though Edmund seemed he believed Lucy about seeing Aslan I just wasn't buying it. It felt like second guessing and didn't fully believe that lucy saw him. And when Lucy did see him and followed him it broke my heart seeing that it was only a dream she had. I just cant get these small things out of head but they really broke my heart.

Why I chose Eustace, it's a given that Will Poulter is the best actor out of everyone, he gave depth and a lot of emotion into his characters then the other actors and to me he appears a lot more believable. i don't think he was different from the book at all. he might have interpreted lines differently but the Scrubb personality was there in plain sight because he created it super well.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Elanor » May 19, 2011 10:05 am

I'm fairly happy with all the characters, but I picked Eustace.
Eustace/Will Poulter: He was just about *exactly* like he was in the book; there's really nothing I would change about him. He isn't one of my favorite characters, but I think he was probably the best portrayal. I don't think he had enough screen time after his change back from the dragon; if the movie had been longer, maybe they could have elaborated that more.
Lucy/Georgie Henley: She was perfect. An adorable little girl, turning into a beautiful young woman. The only thing in which she is different from her character in the books, was her insecurity about beauty and etc, in VDT. But I think that added to the development of her character. Georgie Henley IS Lucy. :D
Edmund/Skander Keynes: I have to say, he is my favorite character. It's really hard to like someone more than Georgie/Lucy, but it's true here. He was my favorite in PC; he was just so real and nice and quiet and strong . . he was what Peter should have been. It seemed like he kind of immatured (is that word? :P) in VDT, because insecurities came back, but that didn't really bother me. I think Skander did a PERFECT job.
Caspian/Ben Barnes: He did differ from the book a little, tiny bit, but not enough to bother me. As you know, I'm a fan of Suspian, so I liked that change, and his fighting with Edmund wasn't a change from the book. Ben really is wonderful.
Peter/William Moseley: Just about my only problem with PC is Peter; and just in a few scenes. I mean, he annoyed me in LWW, being wimpy and stuff, but that was in the book too, he had to grow up. And then he apparently failed. :P But I do like him awfully, and Will, in my opinion, did the best job of any of the people listed. :)
Susan/Anna Popplewell: I was annoyed by Susan being too nice. :P It's supposed to be obvious that she is falling away, in PC, and instead she's the one who believes in Lucy? NO! :P But I think she's a good actress, and did a really good job in LWW.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 19, 2011 1:13 pm

I LOVE all of them, but my favorite is Skandar Keynes as Edmund Pevensie! :D he totally embodies the character of Edmund exactly how I imagined Edmund! :D
Will Poulter comes in a close second and Georgie Henley comes in a close third :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 19, 2011 4:59 pm

The best is by far Lucy. Georgie is Lucy. There are a few instances that really get to me (the exclusion of Lucy's wanting to stay with Edmund to see if the cordial works, Lucy's interaction with Reep about Aslan's Country, etc) but overall she is really true to the books. I agree with fk that they seemed to understand her character better than any other main character. I will likely post thoughts on the others but I'm pacing myself. :p
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Elanor » May 20, 2011 8:46 am

I just watched PC again last night; and I have to say that the only characters which were to me, flawless, were Caspian, Eustace, and Edmund.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stateofgreen » May 20, 2011 9:38 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Arguably, for some time prior to the Walden/Fox/Disney productions I was and still am seriously biased in the direction of having the same actor play Prince or King Caspian all the way through to SC. That was always my main complaint against the BBC productions. We need to see Caspian as the child realising he is being got at because of Miraz, as the VDT king learning something about leadership and finally, learning in a most tragic way about the importance of succession planning.
Completely agree with this I would LOVE for Ben Barnes to continue his portrayal until LB gets made. :D
fantasia_kitty wrote:
stateofgreen wrote:...agree with FK that they did develop [Lucy's] character pretty well through the movies....except in VDT...which was a letdown.

I do agree they missed the mark with Lucy a bit in regards to her relationship with Aslan, which they nailed in the first two movies... I was just curious if that's what you were referring to?
Yes! The script for VDT didn't help Lucy very much, but I thought her scene with Aslan in the mirror on the ship was cheesy. Her bond with Aslan wasn't as developed as it could have been....her goodbye scene on the beach was probably the only thing that evoked her bond with Aslan from the first two films and that was heart-tugging but all through VDT it seemed half-baked....especially in the Magician's mansion and the scene where Lucy's supposed to pray for help at Dark Island and she gets the pathetic albatross flyover with no "Courage Dear Heart"..... :((

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lion's Emblem » May 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Well, I don't really like the word best (what does "best" or "better" really mean?). However, to say who was the most realistic or true to their character, I have to go with Georgie Henley as Lucy. As it has been said over and over above, Georgie just is Lucy. She has a certain quality that allows her to be so innocent and lovable like Lucy's character in LWW and can then contrast that with her "darker" desires (as Lucy with the beauty spell in VDT). It doesn't feel like acting, it just feels like the character.

That's not to say that the other actors are out done. I certainly feel like all four actors are the Pevensies and they really are a family unit. They needed to be to make the films work and you see it on screen.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Joey-Woey » May 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Well! I guess I should have visited this thread again sooner. Thank-you Fantasia_Kitty for summing up my thoughts so well. I don't really have anything to add. I really like Ben as Caspian, it's just the changes Fantasia mentioned that bothered me in PC.
Joey-Woey
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Conina » May 22, 2011 11:19 am

I went with Will Poulter as Eustace. I thought his lines were hilarious and I loved that they included the diary and showed his bug collection and the stolen candy in his room. Overall I didn't like VDT but I thought Eustace was portrayed well. He's a good actor.
When Eustace says goodbye to Reepicheep
it was very moving. I cried the first time I saw it.

My second favorite is Skandar Keynes as Edmund. I could just see the wheels turning in his head
throughout his betrayal and his redemption
in LWW. Then when he is the voice of reason in PC at times, I thought the film-makers got that just right. I'm glad they included his sticking up for Lucy - such a change from LWW. I didn't like some things about his portrayal in VDT some of those lines ("I'm tired of playing second fiddle" etc.) were just uggh. But I liked some of the things about his relationship with Eustace, half-annoyed, half-understanding. I just wish there could have been more of that instead of his hallucinations of the WW and yearnings for Rhindon. I just think he would be more plagued by seeing his "old-self" in Eustace. It would have been much more interesting in terms of his character development and finishing out his story-arch than what they chose to do.
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next