This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Postby icarus » Oct 09, 2010 5:27 am

Lirenel wrote:I think the 'change forms' bit meant 'change back into a floating ball of light' not 'change into a different person'. Just my two cents.

Perhaps you are right, though it would still seem unlikely to me that she is offering to turn herself back into the floating ball of light form to continue their conversation. It just makes it seem like one of those typical sci-fi movie cliches where the character has merely taken on a certain form in order to communicate with someone else. Even if that's not the case though, putting that line in there creates an unnecessary ambiguity to the dialogue, seemingly for the sake of one cheap joke.

DamselJillPole wrote:I think I can count on Laura Brent doing a great job as Lilliandil. I've seen her other works and she's a better actress then some of you are giving her credit for. I'm not worried. She'll do a lovely job.

Don't get me wrong, on a technical level i have nothing bad to say about her acting ability. There are certain performances in the previous movies which i still feel are overly wooden or hammy, but i think Laura seemed more than proficient in the clips from the trailer.

The problem i have is that the way she interpreted the character, or the way she was directed to perform the character, or the way the character was written, just did not match up with my personal view as to how this character should be. Like i said, i am more than willing to reserve full judgement till i have seen the full movie, but based solely on this trailer alone i was not all that keen on her performance.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Oct 09, 2010 7:54 am

I think they are trying to add a human-like element to the character. They want to give her a distinct personality so the audience can better identify with her. Caspian should have a greater attraction that goes beyond her pretty face. If she stayed mysterious and limited like in the book than what kind of believable relationship could the two have that would lead to marriage? Besides just being Caspian`s love interest , she should also be a strong enough character to have appeal beyond her primary function. They want to build her up to be more than Caspian`s future bride and guide for the journey.

Look at the star girl from the star dust movie. She was annoyed with her male counterpart at first meeting and she complained quite a bit at first. She had an innocence to her , but also a human quality to her personality. She did the glowing thing but only when she was happy. Perhaps film makers are heading to a similar direction with Lilliandil.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am

icarus wrote:The problem i have is that the way she interpreted the character, or the way she was directed to perform the character, or the way the character was written, just did not match up with my personal view as to how this character should be. Like i said, i am more than willing to reserve full judgement till i have seen the full movie, but based solely on this trailer alone i was not all that keen on her performance.

Yeah based on like 7 seconds on footage of her /:) Some of that footage may also be in the film at different angles too to where you can get a better perception on why she decided to act a certain way. I like that Laura can take a character and make it her own interpretation. That is what great acting is.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 09, 2010 11:17 pm

And you're deciding you like her performance off of those same 7 seconds of footage. :P I've heard good things about her acting in other things, but I don't particularly care for what I've seen of Ramandu's Daughter in the trailers. Nothing to do with Laura or her acting ability, I don't like the dialogue or the way they chose to portray her.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 10, 2010 12:01 am

^ The movie crew, Director, etc doesn't decide on how they want a character portrayed. That's 100% up to the actors choice. And yes I can tell Laura made the decision to give her character what she wanted. I don't care because I know Laura is a fantastic actress and i believe she knows what she is doing.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby bkey » Oct 10, 2010 7:26 am

That's not really true though. The writer gives the character their dialogue, and to a large degree their personality. Depending on the director, some actors have more freedom with their roles, but there is still a collaboration between the two. Some directors like their actors to improvise on set to make the character's more believable and more like the actor, but others like to stick exactly to the script. Regardless, if you're ever on a movie set, you'll hear the director directing the actors how to do a scene. "Show more emotion," "This character just lost their true love, I'm not getting that from you," etc. Yes, the actor is the one bringing the character alive, but the director is ultimately the one responsible for getting good performances out of their actors.

I'm not saying that Laura will be bad or good, but it's way too early to judge her performance based on the trailers alone.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Oct 10, 2010 7:41 am

Very true. bkey

Perhaps a bit of her own personality is coming through her portrayal. It seemed that way with Anna`s portrayal of Susan . Anna added an edge or coolness to Susan`s personality that wasn`t present in the book character. Oh well..It`s too early to tell for sure. I guess the dialogue may seem too modern for some. I on the other hand don`t really mind her performance. If you noticed at times in the other films characters sometimes use words out of place for the time period . Also a character may use a word that doesn`t seem fit for he or she. It`s not that big of a deal.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am

^ agreed with madienofnarnia except i didn't believe Anna's portrayal in PC as Susan, i guess because Adamson changed her character so much that at times she forgot how to act her character (which wasn't her fault). I take a screenwriting course in Los Angeles and have been on lots of movie sets then you can even imagine so Bkey It's not up to the screenwriters choice to write how they feel an actor/character should say or do the lines, the directors job is the visual outlooks, he/she doesn't pick the actor 9in most occassions), he/she will only suggest emotion not how the actor wants to portray their own character.

I'm hopeful for you Laura!!! :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby bkey » Oct 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Just because I don't want to take up a lot of room on a post of what exactly a director does and how much control he/she actually has over every aspect of the production, including acting, I'll just post this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_director

You're not the only one on these boards who knows something about filmmaking. ;)

But this is neither here nor there, so I apologize to the mods for getting off topic.

Regarding Lilliandil, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to judge Laura Brent's performance until I see the movie. I haven't seen anything to suggest she won't be good in the movie though. She certainly looks the part, and it will be interesting to see how big of a role she actually has in the movie, and how they develop her character versus the way she is set up in the book.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm

After seeing the trailer, I really like her job at acting Lilliandil. I think she seems sweet, pure, and innocent -- just the way Ramandu's Daughter should be.
I like the way she said the line, "If it's a distraction for you, I can change form." Her eyes look so caring and concerned, like she doesn't completely understand that he's trying to give her a compliment, and wants to make sure she's not bothering him in any way. (As if her beauty would bother him, lol) :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm

ROFL!!!!!!!! =)) Are you serious Bkey?! :-\
I understand that you want to show me that I'm wrong but showing me a link to the #1 most unreliable source in the world coughwikipediacough, doesn't really back you up at all. =)) Anyone in the world can post anything on there and not everything is true. Yes directors have the power to have a lot of things go in their movie, but seriously most of the time directors give their actors the right and freedom to act the way they want to and create their own character, and I swear to that, that is a 100% fact!

I really want to see Laura Brent interviewed about her character soon. I mean she is getting more attention now then ever. I want to here about her character really bad!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 10, 2010 5:43 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I really want to see Laura Brent interviewed about her character soon. I mean she is getting more attention now then ever. I want to here about her character really bad!

That would be cool to see! But do you think they will interview her? She isn't one of the main characters, after all (By main character, I mean like Lucy, Edmund, Eustace, etc.). I wish they would interview her, but I just dont know if they will or not. There were a lot of characters/actors back in PC, after all, that I wanted there to be interviews about, and there weren't (at least, that I heard of). :(

Interviewers seem to be more interested in some actors than they are other actors, unfortunately... :(

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 10, 2010 5:52 pm

^ They just might because on trailer #3 being Caspian's true love interest and all. We still don't really know how big or how involved she is in this movie yet. But that third trailer has to set some interviewers off to call her and ask her about that. ;) You know Hollywood. :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 10, 2010 5:59 pm

^ DJP, important question -- have you posted that paragraph before? I've totally heard that somewhere word for word... Either you posted that previously, or I dreamed that you said that exact thing... For real. I'm not joking. Please tell me. *freaks out* :-s

Yeah, hopefully they will interview her. Did they interview actors other than the main ones when PC was coming out? Like Peter Dinklage, Vincent Grass, etc.? That might be a good indicator of who they will interview this time.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Yeah I think I did^ =)) I know how you feel, I really dislike dejavu ;)

Yeah there was a recent interview with tony Nixon who played Rynelf and he's hardly in the trailers. I'm praying so hard that they would get with Laura Brent and ask her her experience in this film. That would make my day! :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnialover4 » Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Before the trailer came out, I wasn't sure I liked how she "looked." After seeing the trailer, my thoughts completely changed and I realized how beautiful she was!
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext