This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Postby Valiant » Oct 23, 2010 7:13 am

I think her acting will be fine. However I'm a little worried about what they would have done with her character.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 23, 2010 11:15 am

I think Lilliandil is going to be great! I am looking forward to seeing Laura Brent do her part! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 23, 2010 11:44 am

I'm kind of like you Valiant. I don't doubt Laura's great acting because I've seen her in everything and she's good. I am in fact worried about how much screen time she'll get as Lilliandil and her development with Caspian. I'm hoping she's introduced like in the leaked script Caspian has dreams about her before they meet in real life that way when they do meet at Ramandu's Island the romance will seem more natural and can move quicker with the little time they have and it will become something big when Caspian comes back to Ramandu's Island for her. I'm hoping something like this happens.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Oct 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I actually dislike the fact that Liliandil appears to have such a large role*ducks from the rotten tomatoes DamselJillPole is hurling*. She really is not that huge of a character in the book. Sure, Caspian fall in love with her and they get married, but not until the end of the book. Besides the romance is not natural when they meet on the island according to the trailer. It's an awkward "oh you're hot", to quote glumPuddle, meeting that just really irks me. Can't they be attracted towards each other's characters and qualities instead of outward appearance? So, to contradict myself, I guess it might make sense that Caspian dreams about her goodness and grace, and her physical appearance just is a plus to an already great package*sighs with relief as DamselJillPole quits with the tomato thing* But it would be awful if it was just based on physical appearance, which, I'm afraid, is going to end up being how it is.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 23, 2010 12:34 pm

^ I agree with most of what you've said A_Narnian_Ship I as well don't like the fact that people in these movies are so concerned about outer beauty instead of wanting to know the person first. But what we saw in the trailer isn't the only conversation we are going to see, I just want the relationship between Caspian and Lilliandil to be for real and not an infatuation like Suspian was. I really hope for continuity sake that Laura is shown more often or else I'm not going to believe the romance between Caspian/Lilliandil will be a good thing, no one else will either.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Oct 23, 2010 7:56 pm

I hope the rumored spoiler is actually in the movie. It`s a very nice idea. I don`t mind the " You are most beautiful" line. Although I agree that there does seem to be a lot of attention toward physical beauty. Hopefully Lilliandil`s role will be expanded in the movie so Caspian will have a greater reason to care for her. I`m actually more concerned about her being fully realized as a character . I don`t want her to be a convenient plot device. In fantasy films a magical guide is usually present. The character`s personality is sometimes stifled by functionality. I would also like her to be more than a love interest as well. Perhaps I`m expecting too much. If Caspian looks beyond her pretty face and loves her for her virtuous nature than that would be enough. They do make a sweet pair.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant » Oct 27, 2010 5:11 pm

"You are most beautiful," is a great line in my opinion. Its just what RD and Edmund say afterwards that I don't like. :|

I hope whatever they do, even if it a change from the book, it is executed properly and works well in the film.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Oct 28, 2010 5:50 am

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think very highly of the way Ramandu's Daughter is portrayed...I don't want to start a big arguement with anyone or counter anyone. I'm not an actress or a director and I know very little about these things...so please don't beat me to death then burn me alive then keep me on bread and water for five days...
I just want to say that I thought Ramandu's Daughter was portrayed kind of...cheesy. I can't say specifically what I didn't like, but I was expecting more grace, elegance, and purity from her. She seemed a little too human, too girly to me. I always imagined her to be like...other-wordly, like an angel...like an elf even. Something like Arwen or Galadriel...I don't know how to say it. I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting this...that's just how I feel.
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Oct 28, 2010 6:22 am

Narnian_Archer wrote:I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think very highly of the way Ramandu's Daughter is portrayed...I don't want to start a big arguement with anyone or counter anyone. I'm not an actress or a director and I know very little about these things...so please don't beat me to death then burn me alive then keep me on bread and water for five days...
I just want to say that I thought Ramandu's Daughter was portrayed kind of...cheesy. I can't say specifically what I didn't like, but I was expecting more grace, elegance, and purity from her. She seemed a little too human, too girly to me. I always imagined her to be like...other-wordly, like an angel...like an elf even. Something like Arwen or Galadriel...I don't know how to say it. I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting this...that's just how I feel.

That`s a rather cruel and excessive punishment. :p I understand what you mean. I see Lilliandil as being more like the star girl from Star Dust. She was innocent to a point but had a more human-like edge to her personality. You were hoping for a more mythical or whimsical character. There are many fans who feel the same way. Giving Lilliandil a more human nature makes some fans feel like the film makers are overriding the book`s description of her. To each his own - I guess. I don`t mind the movie portrayal but that is me.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 28, 2010 1:38 pm

I see her more as innocent and friendly, which I like better than cold and aloof.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Archer » Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

MaidenofNarnia wrote
That`s a rather cruel and excessive punishment. :p I understand what you mean. I see Lilliandil as being more like the star girl from Star Dust. She was innocent to a point but had a more human-like edge to her personality. You were hoping for a more mythical or whimsical character. There are many fans who feel the same way. Giving Lilliandil a more human nature makes some fans feel like the film makers are overriding the book`s description of her. To each his own - I guess. I don`t mind the movie portrayal but that is me.

Ha, I suppose it is. :) I got it from A Horse and His Boy. Lasaraleen says it to her servants so they won't tell anyone about Aravis coming to her house.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. One thing I realized though, is that no matter how much they try, no director is ever able to please everybody with his/her adaption of a book or movie. For example, I love Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings , but I have some friends who, although they liked some parts of it, altogether were not too satisfied with the movie. They say there are things missing, things that aren't portrayed right, etc. Therefore, no matter how they would have portrayed Ramandu's Daughter, someone wouldn't have been satisfied. Each person has his/her own imagination, and no one person can satisfy everyone, because everyone imagines something different. So, although I don't like Lilliandil and think they could have done a better job with her, other people do like her, so why should I complain? :) To every man his own. :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm

There's a very well made fan video of Laura Brent on youtube. It has pretty much all of her scenes from movies and events if you want to get very good looks at her.

Search for "Laura Brent fireflies" it's a really great video to watch! ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Nov 23, 2010 8:09 am

I will say, even though she only appeared briefly in the movie, I thought Laura did an excellent job as Ramandu's Daughter/Lilliandil. She wasnt quite as beautiful as I imagined, but she played the character well enough that it didnt matter.

She also does come across as very innocent and not as fiesty as we all feared. And I also like that there is no love triangle. She's clearly interested in Caspian. True, Edmund is amazed by her and he does shout "No!", but he doesnt seem jealous of Caspian in the least.

So you all will be happy with her I think.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I think judging by the pictures of everyone at the premiere Laura Brent really stands out in her blue gown. She's so gorgeous. i can't wait to see her as Lilliandil! :)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm sorry about the double post i just thought you guys should see this! :D

Congradulations to Laura Brent geating a big movie role! She plays the bride in a new movie called "A Few Best Men" alongslide Eclipse's Xavier Samuel. It's a comedy about a groom takng three best men down to the Australian outback for his wedding. It sounds really good and cute!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640711/

Again laura brent congrats on the role!! :D :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Anfinwen » Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

I know this is a little late, but thumbs up to Laura Brent on her outfit at the London premier! It was the most Narnian outfit of any I've seen in the pictures of the other premiers.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext