This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

King Frank/The Cabby

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: King Frank/The Cabby

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Ooh, Sean Astin is perfect (almost types 'sam', lol!) I would of course know who he was, but I think it's be great if he could do that accent...hmm, requires some thought...

Lu :)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy85 » Mar 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Oooo, I love the idea of Sean Astin as Frank. Has the face for it and I'm still a sucker for him because of his excellent portrayal of Sam. :) I also like the Jason Isaacs suggestion. That would definitely give him the opportunity to play a good guy instead of a villain :) Plus he's a fabulous actor!
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Matsi » Mar 10, 2011 11:33 am

I always thought of Frank as short and chubby, and gets red in the face easily when he gets mad. Like this: X(

I think Sean Astin would be great too!
:) ;)
-sig and av by Kira- Thanks!
Team Hoodie!
Matsi
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I think there are two characters they are going to be looking for in Frank: The Cabby, and the King. As a Cabby, Frank might seem middle-aged, chubby, unsure, kind of dumb, and a just plain ordinary Joe. As a King, they'd look for a man who is maybe a little younger, still has a little of that confidence, perhaps handsomer. Suggestions for Frank are going to be all over the map because people can see him as either of the two opposites.

I, for one, would rather see a King. I want him to blend in in London, maybe wear a hat so you don't really see him at first. But I want Frank to come across as strong and brave and calm (like when he went right up to Jadis and tried to reason with her).

And that's really why I don't like Sean Astin for Frank, and a lot of you do; He's a Cabby.

Anyone else know what I mean?
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

^^ The thing is, the "Cabby" side of him is going to be in the movie for a much longer time than the "King" side of him is.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I think Sam (er, I mean Sean! ;) seriously, that's what I typed!!)could pull off the King too, especially if as a cabby he sort of slumps over and then a s a King he pull his shoulders back, gets that kingly glow. I'm for Sean Astin! Plus we get to see someone from LotR again... ;)

*edit* Plus if he gets that Irish sort of accent he had in LotR (only with a much more 'stable' accent, if you get what I mean)...I think that'd be cool for the cabby. In the book it sort of implies he stops stuttering or talks clearer or something, so maybe that would work too; a mumbler, than a strong speaking King. :)

So, in my opinion: go for it, Sean!!!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Erm... Sean did an ok job in LOTR, but I wasn't blown away. I personally want him to stay far away from Narnia. I'd really rather see a new face. As for age, I think that Frank's younger (late-twenties), just weather-beaten. Helen would be younger, but still he wouldn't be that much older than she. I do NOT see him chubby at all.

EDIT: I want Sean to stay away from Narnia for the same reason I would not want Andy Serkis playing Puddleglum, Elijah Wood playing ... sombody, Ian McKellen playing Uncle Andrew, or Cate Blanchett playing Aunt Ketterly. I just don't think we need any LOTR comparisons. Also I don't think they fit. I still find Sean's acting unimpressive; I still have a hard time sitting through some of the Sam scenes today. IMHO, "Sam" shouldn't be in Narnia.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 11, 2011 8:30 pm

I basically see the cabby as he was protrayed in the illustrations. C.S. lewis did say the illustrations looked just like the pictures in his head, after all.

Plus, Lucy, I think the cabby had a cockney accent. Not an Irish one. Didn't Sam have a cockney accent too? It didn't sound Irish to me, really.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh yeah, cockney...I don't really know what Sam had, maybe I was thinking of Scottish- or maybe I'm just all mixed up. :p Is cockney a sort of higher-class English accent? Or lower class? One or the other, lol!

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 12, 2011 1:20 am

^^ It's lower class. ;) Or, at least, it is in books and movies. I couldn't say about real life since I've never been to England.

It seems Sean Astin is a popular choice here. Any other possibilities?

Michael Chiklis
Matt Lucas
Justin Bartha
Stellan Skarsgård
Chad Lindsey
Damian O' Hare
Joel McHale
Giles New
Angus Barnett

Tell me your thoughts on these or others! :D

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lucy85 » Mar 12, 2011 7:50 am

Joel McHale is hilarious =)) However, I can't picture him as Frank. Would just keep hearing his comments on The Soup! I'm still in the Sean Astin camp, but I'm excited to see who will ultimately be cast :D
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 12, 2011 9:16 am

Michael Chiklis looks like the Pacifier! ;))
Matt Lucas looks too old for the part.
Justin Bartha might work...
Stellen Skarsgard looks more like he should be on a FBI tv show!
Chas Lindsey could work, but I like Justin Bartha batter.
Damian O' Hare doesn't look right in my opinion; not 'innocent' looking enough.
Joel McHale looks like Elrond!
Giles New almost looks too boyish...
And, my computer blocked the page on Angus Barnett.

Just my opinions, of course! But I say Justin Bartha is the best of those. Hm...him or Sean Astin? Sean looks more cabby-ish but Justin more kingly...I don't know how well know he is, but it might be better for him than Sean Astin because of LotR...

Lu :)
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Lucy of Narnia wrote:Just my opinions, of course! But I say Justin Bartha is the best of those. Hm...him or Sean Astin? Sean looks more cabby-ish but Justin more kingly...I don't know how well know he is, but it might be better for him than Sean Astin because of LotR...

Justin Bartha is fairly well-known. He was the best friend to Nicolas Cage's character on the National treasure movies.

Haha, Joel McHale kinda does look like Elrond in that picture!

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 12, 2011 7:33 pm

I don't think Justin Bartha should be Frank, because he young and just not cabby-like.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 14, 2011 10:28 am

Matt Lucas- LOL! :D
No, seriously (Stiffles a giggle ;) ) I'm hoping they fild someone new, because I know that they want big names to sell the movies, I think that once they get a big famous star involved, sudenly the rest of the film looks dull in comparison and everyones like 'so and so was good...' 'yeah, he was better that youknowwho...'

As far as looks go I see him as in his 30s/early 40's, quite handsome but TOTALLY dulled down by his cabbie clothes etc, but as a king he suddenlt looks regal and amazing and wiser and oldre (Like a way older transition of Edmund in LWW from a 'raggamuffing' to a regal king!)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Mar 14, 2011 11:27 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Really? I pictured Helen and Frank as at least being in their mid-40's. I don't know where anyone gets any idea of them being significantly younger.

Because they are going to have a number of children, that's where it comes from - their sons and daughters married naiads and dryads etc... and became the forefathers of all the Narnians for many years.

Sean Astin is not appropriate, no matter what he looks like. He did not find it easy sustaining a 'west country' accent (not cockney or Irish), and to ask him to play a local country man who has lived for some years in East London is a bit much. He's a good actor but this is not him.
An English actor will handle the accent properly (or yes, a good Scot or Welshman! - thinking of James McAvoy).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

PreviousNext