This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

King Frank/The Cabby

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

King Frank/The Cabby

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I've always loved the Cabby in MN. Now that MN is coming out as a film, we should give some consideration as to who will play him.

How do you picture the cabby? What age, hair color, acting skills should the actor have? And do you have anyone specific in mind?

A couple ideas I had were --

Eddie Marsan
Timothy Spall

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Re: King Frank/The Cabby

Postby Katana » Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm

EDDIE MARSAN :D Good idea!

TIMOTHY SPALL :(( HORRIBLE idea. he would be absalutely repulsive as King Frank
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

i think Eddie Marsan is a great idea!

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rilians Queen » Mar 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I am hoping that King Frank is younger than from the books illustration. I imagine him with light brown hair, blue eyes and 26 years of age.
A Proud Supporter For A Jilrian Romance Between Tirian/Jill!
My Website: http://thedarknightsqueen.blogspot.com/
Audition For My Narnia Episodes!!
Rilians Queen
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm

For me, I always pictured him as the cabby in the Black Beauty movie (the ninties one). Why? Because I wanted a different ending than the one he got in the movie. I wanted Beauty to be winged. But David Thewlis is far too old now: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000667/
Seriously though, I could see Frank as anybody... What I really want isn't so much a specific actor (I want a specific actor in Uncle Andrew's case), but a character who is noble and pure. I don't want a conflicted King Frank. Please.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy85 » Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am

I love David Thewlis too, but I agree, he is a little old for that part now. I honestly don't know who I picture as Frank :-\ I am thinking he would be mid to late 30s maybe. Not sure about the rest though. I'll just wait and see who they pick. Also, now that someone mentioned Timothy Spall, I'm wondering if he would make a good Uncle Andrew? Maybe...
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

I think both Helen and Frank should be in their early or mid 20's. I say this because it would be very odd for two older people that are married in a Victorian Age with no children yet. I feel like they should be newlyweds in their early to mid 20's.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Rilians Queen » Mar 05, 2011 11:51 am

I agree with you above me. In the Victorian Age many men and women got paired up and married very early and had children at early stages of marriage. So it would appear weird if the cabby and his wife were older then their twenties with no child.

Just for another romance sake storyline i hope they are younger so they would appeal to younger audiences. ;)
A Proud Supporter For A Jilrian Romance Between Tirian/Jill!
My Website: http://thedarknightsqueen.blogspot.com/
Audition For My Narnia Episodes!!
Rilians Queen
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 05, 2011 8:23 pm

I've got a few suggestions, but I'll go one at at time:

Jason Isaacs: He's a little older version of Frank than some of you are shooting for, but he's a great actor, and I don't think he'd be too expensive. I think he looks like a Frank.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2374932480/nm0005042
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Mar 05, 2011 9:41 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I think both Helen and Frank should be in their early or mid 20's. I say this because it would be very odd for two older people that are married in a Victorian Age with no children yet.

I half agree with you. :) Helen is definitely young, she's described as young in the book. But I believe Frank is a bit older than her. Not like, a whole generation or anything like that, but maybe 10 years? The book implies that he's middle-aged or so. :)

As far as who to play him though, goodness, that's hard. Somebody who can definitely be plain and not eye-catching at first due to his hard work on the streets of London, but then undergoes a transformation in Narnia to a very handsome King. Somebody that comes to mind for me is Michael Fassbender. I've never seen him in anything except the Jane Eyre trailer... and he's not super handsome in that (he's not supposed to be.) And he's the right age, but he's also pretty tall. I was thinking of someone maybe a little shorter...

@Ithilwen, I like your suggestion of Eddie Marsen. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 05, 2011 11:06 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I think both Helen and Frank should be in their early or mid 20's. I say this because it would be very odd for two older people that are married in a Victorian Age with no children yet. I feel like they should be newlyweds in their early to mid 20's.

Sorry, I'd say they were both about 30. Why? Because in Victorian England lower class people often had to wait that long before being able to afford to get married. Women didn't have the vote, and men had to be at least 21 before they could.

But I grant you, this is true romance. :heart
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mar 06, 2011 5:57 am

Really? I pictured Helen and Frank as at least being in their mid-40's. I don't know where anyone gets any idea of them being significantly younger.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby fantasia » Mar 06, 2011 6:57 am

Lewis wrote:And so, though [Polly] was filled with wonder, she was not really astonished or shocked when all of a sudden a young woman, with a kind, honest face stepped out of nowhere and stood beside her. Polly knew at once that it was the Cabby's wife...

Obviously their ages are pretty ambiguous and up to the filmmakers, it's not a huge deal if they're in their 20s or their 40s, but that's at least why I envisioned Helen as fairly young and Frank as middle-aged.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Sean Astin as The cabby!!!!!
it would be perfect! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Hmm... thanks Fantasia_Kitty, it seems that somethings are easily missed when reading the books. Okay, I amend their ages to mid-40's (King Frank) and early to mid-20's (Queen Helen). I don't know if Sean Astin would be too recognisable to take part but I think he has the good natured face for the Cabby. He just needs to be made up to look older.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 08, 2011 5:01 pm

I really like the idea of Sean Astin as the cabby. I don't think he's too young for the part. Sean Astin just turned 40 a few days ago, I believe. The only negative part of it, as far as I can see, would be the accusations that Narnia is trying to copy LOTR, which might increase if they got a LOTR actor. But that's of little consequence, IMO.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Next