This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Uncle Andrew

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Uncle Andrew

Postby DigificWriter » Jul 05, 2011 4:10 am

Jumping in here with some thoughts:
1) Although most of Jim Carrey's films have been ones in which he is able to use his considerable comedic talents, he is in fact capable of handling non-comedic roles, and has done so in two very notable films thus far in his career: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Number 23. I like him as a possibility for the character of Andrew, though, but don't know whether or not we should be quick to rule him out as a possibility for a character like Puddleglum.

2) Johnny Depp could certainly handle the part of Uncle Andrew, but I don't really think we want to see a version of that character played in Depp's usual style (which would paint the character in a light that is completely at odds with the way Lewis wrote him).

3) Timothy Spall is, proportionately, of the wrong body type for the role of Andrew, although, if one can overlook that, I do think he'd be a great choice.

4) My personal pick/suggestion for the role would actually be one of the following: Kenneth Branaugh (he's already done an aural turn as the character, having narrated and performed the audio book version of TMN, and would, IMO, make an excellent filmic Andrew) and Geoffrey Rush (he's one actor who has 'name power' but who wouldn't overshadow the younger actors; he also has similar facial features to Jim Broadbent, who played the elder Digoryin LWW).
DigificWriter
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Shy Galadriel » Jul 05, 2011 9:28 am

Welcome DigificWriter, and 1) yes, 2) yes (a million times), 3) YES, and 4) yes and yes. I must admit to never have thought of Rush. He's one of my favorite actors, and I think he might pull it off. I still am holding out for Branaugh... Huzzah! :ymhug:
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby magic-rings » Jul 10, 2011 9:54 am

I think Jonny Depp would be an exelent uncle andrew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =))
magic-rings
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 11, 2011 12:18 am

I absolutely dislike the idea of Johnny Depp being in a Narnia film. It seems whenever a male role is up for grabs, Johnny Depp is automatically the first choice. Plus, he's much too young for Uncle Andrew.

I like the idea of Geoffrey Rush being in a Narnia film. But that may have to do with the fact he's one of my favorite actors. ;)) I can't see him as Uncle Andrew, though. Uncle Andrew was kind of a pathetic character in MN, being bossed around by Jadis, getting drunk, getting his hat stuck on his head, and being planted as a tree. I can't see Rush playing a man as silly as that.

Unless, of course, they change the character to be someone more ominous throughout the movie. But for now, I'm hoping for accuracy. *fingers crossed*

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Eustace » Sep 03, 2011 12:28 am

Nicholas Lyndhurst is a pretty good idea. Question to Evelyn: 11th or 10th doctor?
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 04, 2011 6:04 am

I just really don't want Johnny Depp. I don't think he really fits any roles, and Ithy's right- as soon as there's a role open people jump to Johnny Depp. He doesn't really look the part and is too young.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Because of my sore throat this morning, I started thinking of The Sound of Music - when Julie Andrews says "this night air is not good for the children's voices." Then I started thinking of Christopher Plummer in this film. Finally, my thoughts turned to Narnia. And it suddenly occurred to me that Plummer might make a good Uncle Andrew. Or what about Donald Sutherland? So what do you guys think? [I thought of both men for the role of "Old King Caspian" in SC as well.] :)

Christopher Plummer
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/

Donald Sutherland
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/
220chrisTian

Previous