This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Uncle Andrew

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Uncle Andrew

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Now that we know MN will be next, we have to consider who should play Digory's uncle Andrew Ketterly.

Back when I first read MN in 2005, I always pictured Uncle Andrew looking like Austin Pendleton.

Thoughts/Opinions?

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Re: Uncle Andrew

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 01, 2011 12:19 am

Your actor choice looks really good Ithil! ;) I always imagined Andrew as close to his mid thirties because I remember something about his hair color returning to blonde after he was done with magic and I always thought he was a bit younger if his hair color would change back, idk.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 01, 2011 4:11 am

I remember hearing what his age was once... I can't quite remember where... I think it was either in the book itself or here on NW in the Character Profiles. I think it was... 65 or something?

Plus, whenever he was shaken, or when Digory suggested he go to another world himself, he would always start talking about how it wouldn't be right at "his time of life". So even if the 65 number should turn out to be incorrect, we know he wasn't exactly young.

EDIT: It was 60. And it's in Character Profiles -- http://wiki.narniaweb.com/index.php/Uncle_Andrew
I wonder where they got the age? Does it say it somewhere in the book?

Anyone have any other casting suggestions? Or comments/thoughts? :D

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Mar 01, 2011 8:32 am

The popular suggestion for Uncle Andrew on NarniaWeb over the years has been Bill Nighy.

However, I would love to see Steve Coogan in this role. :) I mean check out this picture here of him in Percy Jackson. Costume aside, does that not just scream Uncle Andrew? :))

ETA: Ithilwen, I know I've seen that age listed somewhere before (we don't usually add specific ages without a specific source) but at the moment I'm not finding it. What I was able to find is that he's quite often described as an old man. And also this... "[Uncle Andrew] was tall and thin. He had a long clean-shaven face with a sharply-pointed nose and extremely bright eyes and a great tousled mop of gray hair."
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am

I think he should be older, sort of late middle ages. Definitely an actor who can pull of a pompous demeanor, but be dangerous, too. Let's face it, in the beginning, Andrew is downright creepy. At least, I know he scared me, and I'd like to see some of that tension on screen. It's the idea of him being sort of a little crazy that makes him so scary at first.

So an actor who can do crazy-scary, and then sort of let it melt off so you realise he's just a pompous drunken fool.

I'd suggest Kenneth Branagh, but I'm not sure he can be 'scary' enough.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Mar 01, 2011 9:14 am

Ithilwen wrote:I wonder where they got the age? Does it say it somewhere in the book?

Credit goes to wisewoman for finding it cause I sure couldn't.
MN, Chapter nine:
"And then as regards oneself," Uncle Andrew continued, in a happy dream. "There's no knowing how long I might live if I settled here. And that's a big consideration when a fellow has turned sixty. I shouldn't be surprised if I never grew a day older in this country! Stupendous! The land of youth!"
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lucy85 » Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Riella, I like your suggestion. That actor was on one of my favorite episodes of the tv show "Frasier." :) Anyway, back to the topic: I also think Bill Nighy would be an excellent choice. Uncle Andrew is very creepy at the beginning-gave me the heebie jeebies when I re-read MN recently. I like Kenneth Branagh too, but as Christproclaimer said, I'm not sure that he would be creepy enough. Hmmm, very interesting question!
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 01, 2011 6:27 pm

I think Johny Depp would make a good uncle andrew because he is such an oddball and he can be creepy when he wants to.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 01, 2011 8:43 pm

He's 60? I wonder how his hair went back to blond? Or maybe i read it wrong. i was going to reread Silver Chair once I heard it would be greenlit but since Magician's Nephew is I'll go and reread that.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy85 » Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Interesting suggestion Puddleglum. As a Johnny Depp fan, I can say that he can definitely turn up the creepy factor when he needs to. I'm just not sure if he's old enough:)
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Ok, first off, NOT Steve Coogan. I like his portrayal of Hades in Percy Jackson, and I laugh my head off with Around the World in 80 Days; but he IS NOT an Uncle Andrew type. He's much too young and goofy. Also, please no Johnny Depp... I'm really bored by Johnny now, he plays every single role with the same zaniness and it's just old now. I think I'm anti-Depp because if there's a grown male role he will be suggested for it, no matter what the role is.
Kenneth Branagh is my favorite for the title, even though his facial structure is not what I always imagined Uncle Andrew to be. I think that they could give him a different nose if necessary... but it's his voice and his incredible acting I love the most. I mean, he's played serious (Hamlet), he's played goofy (Harry Potter, Much Ado About Nothing), and he's read the Magician's Nephew aloud! :D
I looked up Austin Pendleton to see if I'd seen him in anything, I don't remember a "Gurgle" from finding Nemo so I can't place him. Somebody suggested Martin Short on the news article, I don't know about acting, but he looks really good for the part.
Anyhow, my main drive would be for acting and voice, let the looks follow. Maybe they'd hire somebody younger and he acts so well that he re-defines our perspective of Uncle Andrew! I mean, Tilda Swindon re-defined Jadis for a lot of us.
I think for any actor they're gonna have makeup. Wig, maybe nose, wrinkles perhaps; so let them pick the best and then fit his face to the part! :P
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby perfect_jill_pole » Mar 04, 2011 12:58 pm

HELP SAVE SILVER CHAIR! WATCH VDT!
perfect_jill_pole
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 04, 2011 5:09 pm

O_O

Carrey? He's not even British! Oh but he could do a British accent any day... :-bd
Oh my. What fun. Oh but wait, he'd cost too much. He'd probably cost the movie more than all the rest of the cast combined! Oh well. :( Good thought though ;)
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Who cares if Jim isn't British, and i don't mean that in an offending way. but he's the best interpreter I've ever seen and one of my top favorite actors. Ever since Ace Ventura he's been pulling off different accents and dialects and his recent film A Christmas Carol he spoke a fantastic British accent. I think Carrey could pull it off and would bring in more money at the box office. ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Shy Galadriel wrote:I looked up Austin Pendleton to see if I'd seen him in anything, I don't remember a "Gurgle" from finding Nemo so I can't place him.

This is Gurgle --

Austin Pendleton is also in Christmas With the Kranks, Guarding Tess (which is THE BEST example of how he would play Uncle Andrew), and an episode of the Cosby Show. ;)

I like the Martin Short suggestion. Jim Carrey would be an... interesting choice. Not sure if I like that idea or not. Maybe. I doubt they'd be able to get him though.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 04, 2011 8:23 pm

The problem with Jim Carrey is hes not serious, and puddleglum takes life serious. Definetly not Jim.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Next