This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

MN Poll: Showing Digory's Mother

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

How much should Digory's Mom be shown?

Only at the very end of MN
26%
Before the end as well
62%
Other, please state
13%

Total votes : 39

MN Poll: Showing Digory's Mother

Postby GlimGlum » Feb 28, 2011 11:41 pm

I think an important decision by the screenwriters of MN (and the producers and director) will be whether to show Digory's Mother just at the end as in the book or before the end as well. She is mentioned in the book before the end but we don't really see her interact with anyone till the end.

I just think that here presence should be made known as in the book and build up the audience's curiosity for the end. I just have this image of the camera following Digory while he is holding the Silver Apple into his mothers room. And then she is revealed though we have heard Digory speak of her and Aslan shed tears for her beforehand.

I'm sure that someone else may have a different perspective if they want to see more of her while she is ill. Look forward to your responses... :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: MN Poll: Showing Digory's Mother

Postby -centaur- » Mar 01, 2011 7:57 am

I think that they should stick reasonably close to the book in terms of showing her. It could work, I guess, if they only talked about her, and then showed her at the end, but it could confusing to younger audiences.
Maybe show Digory bringing in her supper once and then not again until the end.
-centaur-
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Mar 01, 2011 9:36 am

This is not a big issue for me one way or the other. I'm open to either possibility. :) I suppose I have a slight preference towards only seeing her at the end when Digory gives her the apple, but if they show her before, I won't mind.

What I DON'T want is for them to not show her at all, and I think that's a possibility as well (ie. Eustace's parents in VDT)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 01, 2011 11:02 am

Mabel just has to be in MN as much as possible because she's such an engaging character. It gives a purpose to the story besides just magic and adventure. Mabel brings beauty and joy to the story, and that touch of real-life.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Mar 01, 2011 1:18 pm

I voted other because I don't know :D and I don't really care :) I agree that they should show her and not cut her out completely, but how often, if only at the end or during the movie as well.....I really don't know
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Mar 01, 2011 2:10 pm

I actually thought of a point on the relationship between Digory and his mother that I kind of wanted to bring up, and I hope you'll bear with me because it's slightly off-topic. :ymblushing:

I don't know how many people have heard Doug Gresham talk about his mother Joy, and how she got cancer and almost died, but then it went into remission for a few years before she finally passed away in 1960. It's just the most incredibly powerful, happy, and sad story.

The Magician's Nephew, was published in 1955 prior to Joy going into remission in 1956. Whether Digory's sick and dying mother was inspired by Joy or not, I don't know, but the miracle of the silver apple healing his mother and then followed by the miracle of Joy's temporary remission in real life gives me goosebumps.

I know I've heard Doug talk about how powerful that part is for him in MN and I feel like this is probably one section of MN that the filmmakers will nail. At least I certainly hope so. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Of course Mabel has to be in it (that's what sends Digory looking for the 'fountain of youth' and wanting the apple) but I think it'd be best to hold off on seeing her till the end. The fountain of youth conversation could happen as the aunt comes out and closes the door to Mabel's room. If Digory is seen looking at the door and they imply that Mabel is inside, then at the end Digory can come in and no one will be confused (especially as he is sure to say 'mother').
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby outlier » Mar 10, 2011 6:22 pm

I think that Digory's mom should be referenced throughout the movie, but only show her actual face at the end... In some ways I think it should be like those 'Elouise' movies in a sense, where the she's always talking about her mom, but you never see her until the end (and then it's just her back or something, but in this case it would actually show Digory's mom)

In some ways, I think doing this might up the tension for Digory to take home the apple. Maybe show him walking past her room and trying to go in there but the house maid would say something like she's not feeling well today and not to bother her... but at the end he sneaks in, talks to her and gives her the apple, and then gets shooed out after she starts eating it? Waddya think? :-\
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 11, 2011 1:01 pm

I think that if the movie is handled expertly they could get away with never showing her and just talking about her until the end just like in the book. But I think that the movie will probably show her at the beginning because it's the lazy way to have your audience relate to characters. I think that it could work, in fact it could be as beautiful cinematically as just showing her at the end. I just think that they could get away with a tad of artsy film-making by just talking about a character (having the audience get to know her character before showing her face).
But the film might get confusing done that way if it's not done right. So I'd be ok with showing her before the end.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Maybe we could just see her twice: once maybe comforting Digory on having to move there with his aunt and uncle when she is sick, and then again at the end when she begins to get better, and maybe one last time when she is totally well, if they show that part, which I'm guessing they won't because it is more like an epilogue. Hmm, I do wonder how it will end! Will it involve the apple tree +m wardrobe> How will they show this? (okay, I'm being quiet about off topic things now. :p )

Lu :)
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Josh » Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm

They should definatly show the mother before. If we don't see Digory interact with her and she's just refferenced throughout the movie (until the end) she will come across as more of a plot device than a vital part of Digory's personal journey.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shastafan » Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I think we need to see the mother more than once. How can you actually feel sorry for him if you don't see his mother's state for real? Two times or more would be appreciated, because you can't hide such an important piece of Digory's character and arch, which is Digory's mother, that long. So, pretty much have her appear where she does in the book, and I'll be good. :)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm

^Yeah, we don't want people saying Digg's mom was a plot device!! In the book, C. S. Lewis clearly writes of Digory's love for his mother- even if he never says it in those exact words, we feel the love. In the movie, everything must be shown- we don't have thoughts, descriptions, etc. to go off of. So, due to the above peoples' opinions, I now have decided that my own is the same: show Digory's mom more than in the book. After all, the director doesn't have the same ways as C. S. Lewis to tell of Digory and his mother- they must show it. :)

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MountainFireflower » Mar 24, 2011 7:51 pm

My picture of the movie is the same as yours, GlimGlum. I really would love it if they built up to that scene, but only if they do it correctly. If they build the emotion so much so that we can't help but love Digory's mother, even though we've never seen her, then I'll like it. The problem will be whether they handle it in a way that is powerful and delivers the same amount of impact as in the book. If they can't seem to portray that emotion without showing Digory's mother early on & building the visual connection, then I'd like them to show her early on, rather than not have that emotional connection at all.

But like fantasia_kitty, I do want them to show her in the film. I think that she has a bigger part in the story than Harold & Alberta did, and so it would be a lot harder to cut her out of the story. Still, I am hoping that she is a big part of the movie, just like in the book.

FK, that story about Joy Gresham is so beautiful. I had never thought about the connection between her and Digory's mother. That is so bittersweet!
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby GlimGlum » Mar 24, 2011 11:16 pm

I see that the majority wants to see more of Digory's mother. There are some good points for doing that. However...

MountainFireflower wrote: I really would love it if they built up to that scene, but only if they do it correctly. If they build the emotion so much so that we can't help but love Digory's mother, even though we've never seen her, then I'll like it. The problem will be whether they handle it in a way that is powerful and delivers the same amount of impact as in the book.

I still think that holding off till the end would be best, as described above by MountainFireflower. And I also thought of another addition to follow the scene where Digory gives the silver apple to his mom: Follow that with a montage of short clips showing her gradually getting better and culminating in a brief scene of complete recovery; perhaps with Digory and Polly outside in the backyard or something.

fantasia_kitty wrote:What I DON'T want is for them to not show her at all, and I think that's a possibility as well (ie. Eustace's parents in VDT)

Most definitely that would be a big mistake. (IMHO) :-s

It will be interesting to see how this is handled when MN comes out. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby PollyP » Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

i voted before the end as well because i am a great beliver in sticking by the book and she does apear before the end in the book. only for about a minuet but it still counts.
Do not dare not to dare.-Aslan
PollyP
NarniaWeb Regular

Next