This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jadis

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Jadis

Postby ChristProclamer » Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm

All right, since the realisation that the filmmakers plan to make MN rather than SC next, some of us have begun to wonder just what will be done with it, and specifically, with the cast. Most of us seem to agree that this is a fresh start for Narnia...but just how much is going to 'refreshed'?

Will they recast a younger actress as Jadis? Should they? Will they have a younger woman play her, and then digitally morph into Tilda Swinton as she eats the apple? If so, who will that new actress be? Or will Tilda come back again, to take the whole role? What kind of changes are they going to make to her to show the difference between Jadis and the White Witch?

What do you think?
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Jadis

Postby wild rose » Feb 25, 2011 9:28 am

I think they'll keep Tilda, and I would like them too. I loved her as the white which, didn't like her in VDT, but other than that I would that they keep her
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Valiant » Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I Think they should and will keep Tilda. I think that it would be less confusing for most non-book fans. As well it would require less money (if they had to recast Jadis and pay two actresses-one for Jadis and then another for morphing her into Tilda.)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy85 » Feb 26, 2011 7:40 am

I think they should keep Tilda. She is a wonderful actress, and as Valiant said, it will be less confusing for those who have not read the book. I honestly can't picture anyone else playing that role.
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby emijoy » Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am

ChristProclamer wrote: What kind of changes are they going to make to her to show the difference between Jadis and the White Witch?

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure I quite caught the difference between Jadis and the WW. I always thought they were the same. :-\ I just recently reread the book and guess I probably will need to again.
emijoy
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

I want Tilda back, there's no question about that for me. ;))

I think filmmakers have a pretty cool opportunity in this movie with Tilda being a few years older than when she filmed LWW. When she eats the Apple, why not make her appear younger again? After all, it is the apple of youth. ;) Makes sense to me anyways.

As far as other changes. The one change the book describes is that her skin turns as white as salt. Ironically, the filmmakers chose to make Tilda very pale in LWW rather than white, so it will be interesting to see what they do here.

Along the same lines, most people envision the White Witch/Jadis as having black hair (compliments of Pauline Baynes... she's never described that way in the books) and the filmmakers made her sort of blonde in the movie. Perhaps her hair could have the same effect as her skin? Black until she eats the apple and then her hair changes as well? Just a thought. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking in terms of appearance change, Fantasia_Kitty. I'm not sure how good Tilda would look with black hair, but I at least hope they won't give her those dredlocks again. I'd like to see her with a little colour before eating the apple. And I think that as she's just Jadis, not yet the White Witch, a costume change is in order. Different cut, different colour, different fabrics...I always pictured Charn as a very colourful, alien place, and I'd like to see her costume reflect that.

Yeah...she should definitely lose the dreds. *wince*

As for Tilda herself...I had always been in favour of a recast personally, but I see that a lot of people overrule me. I just can't see Digory and Andrew ogling Tilda Swinton's Jadis all throughout the film as they do in the book; the relationships will just have to be altered if (or when) they keep her.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 10, 2011 5:43 pm

I say keep Tilda Swinton, but make her tan and give her red hair; then when she eats the apple, she turns pale and her hair turns that light reddish blond.
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Before the movies came out, I actually envisioned Jadis as Brazilian. And Charn would have been kind of like the Aztec empire, with pyramids and such. When she ate the apple her lips were stained red by the apple and her skin turned white. I was bummed that they chose a very white person instead of digitalizing her color (although I must admit I really loved Tilda's interpretation). So while I hope for the sake of consistency that they use Tilda, I think that I'd be ok with them using a younger, prettier actress for her Charn self. In fact, that's a pretty good idea. Don't put Tilda into the poster, don't put her into the trailer; surprise the movie-goers with the transformation at the end! I think that would be cool actually, brilliant thinking Valiant.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Shy Galadriel, I doubt that they will hide Tilda Swinton if they use her as only she and Aslan are the common links for Narnia fans, and they will want to plaster their faces everywhere and in every trailer so that the fans come out to see it. They will probably use Tilda Swinton to get LWW fans to say 'look! the lady from the first one!'. Of course this is an assumption but I think that's what they'll do. Plus I think they will use Tilda Swinton as she has seemingly been champing at the bit to get to be the White Witch again.

This is just my thoughts/opinions of course. :)

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 11, 2011 9:26 pm

^^ I know! Groan [facepaw] But saying it at least helps to get our opinion out, that perhaps having Tilda in an awesome cameo is better than plastering her face all over the posters then giving her a crummy part in the film. The people who see her on the poster will say, "Oh look! It's that lady from the first one! And the second one! And the third one! Boy I thought she died in the first, won't they get rid of her? I guess that they just want to milk her character for all she's worth!"
That's why I think they SHOULDN'T use her face even WHEN they use her. The reasoning is so the people who see the poster think one of two things, "Hey, they decided not to milk that character anymore!"; or "Hey, they must have run out of money to use that actress anymore." In the first case, they would go see the movie and see her in her second legitimate Narnia appearance. In the second, they might not go to see the film because who wants to see a washed-up sequel/prequel that can't hire good actors anymore? But they hear from other people later that it's an amazing movie and go see it the second or third week. Then they tell their friends, who tell their friends, who tell their friends, UNTIL ALL THE WORLD WATCHES THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW!!! :D Excuse my enthusiasm.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 11, 2011 10:19 pm

^lol! Yeah, I see what you mean...if they had only left WW dead!

LWW: Awesome! Tilda Swinton did a great WW! Really scary, and her and Edmund...aw, that was a great movie! And then when Aslan kills her...

PC: What?? In the book they didn't actually- oh well, nice touch. Edmund saved the day. Cool.

VDT: What?? 'go away, you're dead'???? Come on, guys!!

SC: 'Hi, I am Tilda Swinton, the WW AND the Emerald Witch, too. Fear me! The Witch that never really died even though the first movie is all about how Aslan defeated me....MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

(-| I agree, Shy Galadriel! I agree...

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant » Mar 12, 2011 8:12 am

Shy Galadriel, I really love your idea of hiding the fact that Jadis is the WW. That would be fantastic and really suprising to those who haven't read the film. But I am sure they will include her in trailers and posters and every piece of marketing as much as they can. In fact, I'm sure they will over do it. I mean if they included her so much in VDT marketing when she only appeared for 10 seconds, how much more will they use her when she actutally has a significant role in the film.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 12, 2011 9:11 am

Yeah, if she's in it for two minutes all of her two minutes will be in the trailer, and the last 15 seconds will be about Digory, Polly and Uncle Andrew! :p
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 12, 2011 2:36 pm

It's already proven fact that Tilda is still going to be Jadis. It's one of the reasons why they are doing MN first then SC because Tilda wants to finish up her part and MN is the film she was really looking forward to all along. So yeah she's still Jadis.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Lucy of Narnia wrote:^lol! Yeah, I see what you mean...if they had only left WW dead!

LWW: Awesome! Tilda Swinton did a great WW! Really scary, and her and Edmund...aw, that was a great movie! And then when Aslan kills her...

PC: What?? In the book they didn't actually- oh well, nice touch. Edmund saved the day. Cool.

VDT: What?? 'go away, you're dead'???? Come on, guys!!

SC: 'Hi, I am Tilda Swinton, the WW AND the Emerald Witch, too. Fear me! The Witch that never really died even though the first movie is all about how Aslan defeated me....MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Haaahahaha :D
I agree too!
I think it would be nice to have a young and old Jadis played by two different actresses but I think that realisticly Tilda Swinton will probably be her all the way through. She likes being the White Whitch and the people making the films seem to like her too ( a bit too much though as we see above!)
Personally, I want silver chair next so they can cast a DIFFERENT actress and we can see the back of the WW for now because I think it is time for a new villain. No matter what bad think turns up the WW always has to turn up too and make it ten times worse for everyone. SHE IS DEAD! as she should stay dead! If MN is made with WW as main villain again everyone is going to be like WAIT! SHE's dead! she was dead at the end of LWW, why is she back again?!
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Next