This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Should Jill or shouldn't Jill?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Jill should have an English accent
75%
Jill should not have an English accent
5%
Either way is fine with me
20%

Total votes : 44

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Have an English accent? Please explain, if you wish. I say, either way is fine. :) English accent obviously works, and, if not, that works to! Might be a good reason why she gets teased if she's different.

Lu
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Should Jill or shouldn't Jill?

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I voted either way. She is written as being English, so the accent would be accurate. But personally I've always pictured her without one. So, either way is fine. :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Of course she should have an accent, she's english after all.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 12, 2011 8:31 pm

I owuld like her to have an english accent, as the rest of the cast is british Its fitting for her to speak in an english accent
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Well of course she should have an English accent! She's english and if she didn't I think it would take away from the charm of the movie.

Lucy of Narnia wrote:Might be a good reason why she gets teased if she's different.

I disagree, there are a lot of better reasons she could be teased about. Not having an English accent even though she grew up in England is kind of unrealistic. Also I ask, what accent would she have if not English and WHERE would she have picked it up from?
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Jan 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Jill is English. Or British. She should have an accent reflecting the place of her home.

I know it's popular nowadays for people to want Jill to be teased for being American, but I'm strongly against that idea, and I doubt the filmmakers would go with it. Jill is English and will stay that way, and will talk that way, period. Exclamation mark. ;)
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm

She must have an English accent as in the book. The character is English and it'd be awfully strange with a Jill sounding American /:) next to Will Poulter's accent.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Jan 13, 2011 6:05 am

Bullies don't really need a reason to tease....they can tease on the most obscure things. I believe she should have an english accent. It would really irk me throughout the entire movie if she had an American accent. Actually, I think I might enjoy a Highland English(a gaelic scottish) accent for Jill.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 13, 2011 11:01 am

Where does it say that she has an English accent? She spent at least one school term in England, but does it say that she grew up there? :)

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am

Jill should absolutely have an English accent. That's non-negotiable in my mind.

Lucy of Narnia wrote:Where does it say that she has an English accent? She spent at least one school term in England, but does it say that she grew up there?
During the time of WW2 and shortly thereafter I doubt many were moving to England. In fact, many were trying to get out.

Lewis was English. The girl who inspired Jill Pole was English. I just see no reason to change Jill's nationality for the movie.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am

I'm sorry I know how much you probably want to play Jill, i do too and I'm American but Jill needs to stay with a British accent. fantasia_kitty is correct on the war thing. There's no way an American would move half way around the world to live in England during that time. Even if Jill was American and moved before the war started she would have by then grown on the British accent. I vote she keeps the british accent. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 13, 2011 1:12 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Jill should absolutely have an English accent. That's non-negotiable in my mind.

I never thought of her as anything but English, like Eustace. I think that if it were otherwise, Professor Lewis would have mentioned it in some way. So I think she should have an Oompa Loompa accent. :) ;) :D :-o B-)

I just watched the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie this past weekend. I did vote for English accent.
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby icarus » Jan 13, 2011 1:23 pm

It is interesting that most people seemed to have assumed that the opposite of an English accent is an American accent (which of course would be an absolute no-no) but surely a form of Scottish, Welsh or Irish accent would be perfectly acceptable for a character like Jill Pole, as would one of the many regional accents that one would class as being "English" accents.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm

icarus wrote:It is interesting that most people seemed to have assumed that the opposite of an English accent is an American accent

I guess I would prefer anything except American and I am an American. :D Something nearby as stated above would be OK; so probably no Australian or New Zealand accent either. :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Adeona » Jan 13, 2011 3:47 pm

As interesting as it would be to have an American representative in Narnia, I think Jill should stay English. So of course she should have an English accent of some sort. A different one from the other children could be good, though.
A_Narnian_Ship wrote:Actually, I think I might enjoy and Highland English(a gaelic scottish) accent for Jill.

I would like that very much! :ymapplause: Good idea.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:Even if Jill was American and moved before the war started she would have by then grown on the British accent. I vote she keeps the british accent. ;)

Not necessarily...the people filming for months don't pick up the accent...she would have to have lived their for a year or two at least, in my mind...opinions? :)

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Next