This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Best Voice Actor

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Favorite Voice Performance (Choose top 2)

Ray Winstone (Mr. Beaver: LWW)
10%
Dawn French (Mrs. Beaver: LWW)
7%
Liam Neeson (Aslan: All Films)
47%
Michael Madsen (Maurgrim: LWW)
3%
Ken Scott (Trufflehunter: PC)
13%
Eddie Izzard (Reepicheep: PC)
3%
Simon Pegg (Reepicheep: VDT)
17%
Other (Please state)
No votes

Total votes : 30

Best Voice Actor

Postby Radagast of Mirkwood » Jan 03, 2011 4:29 pm

What Voice Actor in the Narnia film series do you think did the best with their character? Which actor's voice was exactly how you imagined for that character? For me it is a tie between Dawn French (Mrs. Beaver) and Liam Neeson (Aslan). When I first heard French I thought "That is Mrs Beaver." Neeson as Aslan wasn't exactly how I imagined him but I have grown to love the voice he does.
Protector of the Birds and Beasts of Middle Earth.
Radagast of Mirkwood
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Best Voice Actor

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

I have to say Aslan. I didn't read LWW first and have preconceived notions, so I can't say if they sounded as I imaged them in that movie! So many of them are good. But Aslan is the role that is the hardest to nail. And that is Aslan's voice! If they significantly change his voice now, it would ruin the character (vs Reep which, in my opinion, is passable as both). I personally doubt they could get that rich, wild voice from someone else. :)

Lu
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 04, 2011 8:02 am

Liam Neeson wins by far, his voice was just perfect for Aslan, after that I would say Simon Pegg because he was such an improvement to Eddie Izzard.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ArcherForAslan » Jan 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Definitely Liam Neeson. His voice is exactly as I would've imagined Aslan in the books to sound, deep, warm, and just very lionlike overall. I haven't yet heard any other Aslan voice actor come close to beating Liam's voice, and I can't imagine anyone else voicing him.

For the second option, I had a little difficulty deciding between Dawn French as Mrs. Beaver and Ken Scott as Trufflehunter, though in the end I went with Ken. Both of them though sound pretty much exactly as I imagined those characters would, and now when I read the books I always hear their voices saying their character's lines.
Avy by Sarah from totallygeorgie.com
ArcherForAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 10, 2011 6:38 am

Liam Neeson was great, but for some reason I felt like voting for Michel Madsen. His voice was really creepy and harsh, which was exactly how I imagined it. I thought he did a great job how they worked in the snarls with his voice. It sounded real to me.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FB92 » Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Eddie. He just added so much comedy to his role and did the role so good.
But courage, child: we are all between the paws of the true Aslan.
- Web Developer & Movie fanatic
FB92
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm

First and foremost is Liam Neeson as Aslan. I can't really hear anyone else playing the role (but, to downsize my credit, I'm not very good at hearing a voice as a character- as in, I don't hear a particular voice when I read the books). Liam Neeson has a certain resonance to his voice that is able to play both of Aslan's extremes (when he is fierce with the White Witch in LWW for example or when he's calm and gentle with the Pevensies).

Hmm, the second chocie is a bit harder. There isn't really one standout for me. I think I have to go with Ken Scott as Trufflehunter. Any specific reason? No, not really, but his accent as a badger has always worked for me since seeing PC for the first time.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 22, 2011 2:07 pm

I voted for Liam Neeson as Aslan and Ray Winstone as Mr. Beaver. I think Ken Stott (Trufflehunter) would be a close third for me although all on this list did a really good job voicing their particular character (IMHO). :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Sep 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Liam Neeson, hands down. His soothing, rich, low voice goes perfectly well with the mighty Lion Himself. It's kind of hard for me not to imagine Aslan in the books now without Liam Neeson's take on Aslan. :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie