This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer

Postby coracle » Nov 04, 2009 1:31 am

Peter in the book was 13, and in the film 15. Not too big a difference.

In the book, Digory is a pre-teen, and that is a lot different from 15 or 16. It would mean he is at a completely different part of growing up.

Digory in the book is young enough to cry and rub his eyes with dirty hands, to play house explorers with a girl neighbour, and to be described as a little boy. Imagine a 16 year old the size of Skandar being physically afraid of skinny old uncle Andrew!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby HM Swanwhite » Nov 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I guess you're right coracle. I hadn't looked at it like that. But as to Peter I was thinking of him in PC. He was supposed to be about 15 in the book and was in reality about 21. (Not sure on the last number though.) But yeah, I definitely see your point. Maybe the guy out of The Boy In Striped Pyjamas then. He looks kind of like Alex and is younger. ;)
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Georgie Fan » Dec 22, 2009 1:11 pm

I LOVE Asa, and he'd be awesome for Digory. <33

I've been told I could play Polly, (my pic is on the 2nd page of the Virtial casting thread) But by them time they made it, I'd be all grown up. xD
I <3 Asa Butterfield

I only take orders from one person.
That would be me.
-Han Solo-
Georgie Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Dec 22, 2009 7:38 pm

I was searching for haircuts for my little sister and I found this model. I'm not sure who it is but it looks perfect for Polly!
girls-hairstyle.jpg
girls-hairstyle.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 14, 2010 8:33 am

HM Swanwhite wrote:When I saw this topic I was definitely thinking Alex Etel. (We share a birthday lol). He is perfect in my mind for Digory. I don't think he's too old. Will was like 20 playing a 16 year old in PC or something like that and not many people complained, and hey! It worked. Alex has played younger characters in the past and pulled it off quite well. Though it probably would depend on when it's made. Besides that's actually the age I imagine Digory (I mean, how old AE looks because he has quite a young face.)

Exactly, I agree 100% with this. Alex Etel definitely strikes me as a Digory Kirke. Real life age is really nothing but a number. Look wise and age is completely different. It depends on what the director is looking for. Sure Alex is very very young looking and he could pull Digory off, it shouldn't matter what age he is.

Will poulter is 16 about to turn 17 and he's playing a supposed 9 year old who is probably 12 or 13 maybe older. Seriously i don't think they are keeping the ages the same in movies like in the books. I'm rooting for Alex!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Jan 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Alex could definitely pull Digory off. In fact I just watched a movie w/ Alex Etel(Cranford BBC 2008) and turned to my sister and said "that's digory kirke!!"I think he would be perfect though I am concerned that by the time they get around to filming MN that he will be too old; he's already 15 and Digory is supposed to,as coracle said, "young enough to cry and rub his eyes with dirty hands, to play house explorers with a girl neighbour, and to be described as a little boy".
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wind_Eagle » Feb 03, 2010 5:24 pm

After being offline for so long, looking at Alex again, I do believe he would do a really good Digory. I wouldn't mind either if Digory had brown or black hair and brown eyes, so long as Polly has blonde or light-brown hair to contrast with Digory. I think Polly should have either gray or green eyes, and I don't think she should look too cute, since, even though she is girlish, cute is not the word that would describe her precisely. She is gentle, caring, brave, proud, strong, sensitive, but I do not believe she is cute. I think she should have a face that is able to show compassion and courage, and all of those descriptions I gave before, at once. In this, I should agree with movie directors. It is not easy to find a ten-year old who can show so many feelings at once.

EDIT*- Okay, reconsider, I think it won't be that bad if she looks cute.
(Will) "I am Prince Caspian..." (Ben) "No you aren't, get off."
Wind_Eagle
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous