This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What did you think of Drinian?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: What did you think of Drinian?

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 30, 2010 7:45 am

Edmundsdefender said,
It made me wonder why on earth he was captain of the ship if he was so grudgingly taking Caspian where he wanted to go.

That was because they were running out of food, which is quite logical. And he proved his metal several times throughout the voyage.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Trufflehunter » Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm

I think that you don't know enough about Drinian in the book to get emotionally attatched to him. I liked this Drinian, because, for me at least, it felt like I was meeting him for the first time.
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Adeona » Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Barring that one uncomfortable scene with Edmund, I really like how Drinian is portrayed. And I've never felt any horror at his lack of hair, either. :p As with Trufflehunter, I never had an emotional attachment to Book Drinian (And I do think he is at least five years older than Caspian).
I feel that Movie Drinian's gruff, to-the-point manner is just right. :ymapplause:
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes, he was a good actor and definatly a good prtrayal, but his accent was a bit steriotypically piratish and reminded be of the crew from 'Pirates of the carribean.' Was that his real voice or an accent? (I havn't read the other posts from other pages 'caus i'm in a bit of a rush, so that might have already been asked)
But, over all I liked him, except from the'chain of command...' part, that was cringy and I felt sorry for Edmund.
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 24, 2011 6:46 pm

No offense to anyone or to the actor portraying Drinian but I just didn't get it. He was not Drinian to me, more like a rough/tough Mr. Clean getting his debute in a movie. Drinian to me was the Drinian in the 1989 BBC VDT. I didn't agree with the actor choice or the character himself. I didn't like it.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm

CharlotteRose wrote:Was that his real voice or an accent?

Hey CharlotteRose! I felt sorry for Edmund too. :p In response to your question, I am pretty sure that was Gary Sweet's real voice that he used. I think he has an Australian accent.

I understand about not reading the previous posts - but I remembered someone mentioning his accent, so I dug a couple posts up for you. Here you go!

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Another thing about Gary Sweet as Drinian, he has a genuinely Aussie Strine accent. That isn't just a piratical growl he talks in. When he says words like 'mind', or 'kind', you get the picture. The dipthongs, elisions and pronunciation rattle around in his diction. Sort of... 'moyind'. I'm not saying this lightly. I speak the same way.

daughter of the King wrote:Also, the Australian accent suits him perfectly because I doubt Drinian was a Telmarine in the book. They had only three years to prepare for the voyage and no one in Narnia would have had enough experience to captain the ship.

Hope that answers your question!

I can't wait to watch the movie again so that I can figure out my updated thoughts on Drinian. My negative opinions on other things in VDT have lessened considerably since I saw the movie, so I'm wondering if my opinion on Drinian may have changed too. ;)) I'll get back to you on that. :p
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 25, 2011 9:43 am

MountainFireflower, Thanks! That helped.
I realy did like hisz acting, he is a good actor but like you I think that Drinian in the BBC version was like how I imagined him to be more than Gary Sweet.
Never the less, I didn't really mind him and yeah, when VDT comes out on DVD I can re watch his performance...
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I think he was a bit more stern and emotionless than I thought he would be. I never saw him as such a tough, older man (not old, but older than I imagined). I guess him looking tough works since he was an experienced sailor.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shy Galadriel » Apr 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Gary Sweet was not what I was expecting, but he was good in the role. I didn't much care for the accent, but I thought it worked well enough and got used to it a few words in. His appearance was fine with me. I hadn't read VDT in more than a year so that my preconceptions were fuzzy. He looked and sounded great.
My one problem was when he turned to Edmund and said (pretty much), "Excuse me. Who died and made you king of Narnia??"
X(
I wanted Ed to look at him and say, "Aslan?" =))
I just really wanted Ed to put Drinian in his place, or at least Caspian should have put him in his place. Grrrrr... Drinian was right, but it was badly done... Very badly done and highly disrespectful. X(
I always assumed that Drinian was a ship's captain from Achenland who was sent over to Narnia as part of a sort peace thing after Cas was made king. Anyhow, that's what I thought of him in the book. Especially as there were no captains in Narnia until Caspian became king. So if he had any prior experience he sort of had to be foreign. In the movie it was the same thing, but add his fair complexion to the mix I really assumed he was foreign.
With that being said, I really liked movie-Drinian and gave him a place in my book next to the awesome characters.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Drinian is awesome! Gary Sweet did an awesome job of playing the kind of rough, yet kind captain that Drinian is meant to be! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby puddleglum32 » May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I always thought Drinian would talk more. I mean me would be in tune with whats going on. He was acting like he could have been "doing something better" than sailing to the worlds end.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » May 18, 2011 9:43 am

I liked Drinian in the movie-a lot. Next to Eustace he was one of the highlights of the film. He may have been different than he was in the book, but I think his character in the movie had a bit more dimension than it did in the book. I do hope however that they make him grow a bit soft in his old age for SC ;) It will make his scene with Caspian much more believable/ heartwarming
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Shy Galadriel wrote:My one problem was when he turned to Edmund and said (pretty much), "Excuse me. Who died and made you king of Narnia??"
X(
I wanted Ed to look at him and say, "Aslan?" =))
I just really wanted Ed to put Drinian in his place, or at least Caspian should have put him in his place. Grrrrr... Drinian was right, but it was badly done... Very badly done and highly disrespectful. X(

I would beg to differ with that assessment. After just replaying that moment, I thought Drinian's tone and choice of words very respectful while also firm: "Forgive me Your Majesty, but the chain of command starts with King Caspian on this ship".

I see Edmund (and Lucy) as visiting royalty. So as a High King he deserved respect and could exercise a degree of authority. But trying to take over or supersede the authority of the current, actual king would be quite wrong. (IMHO) :)

The way I see it, Edmund just had a slip of the tongue and Drinian corrected him in a firm but gentle way. I think Skandar did a good job of acknowledging that by his slightly embarrassed "Right" response. (Glad he didn't have quite the chip on his shoulder that they gave to Peter in PC.) :-$
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I can't exactly describe it, but there was something in the tone and / or words that just seemed a bit unfair. If I'm remembering correctly Ed said something like "I'd say" which has a hint of a suggestion rather than a command. I could be imagining it, but I also think I heard a slight question in his voice when he said Drinian. Caspian seemed rather embarrassed by the scene as well. To me the scene seemed like a forced set up for Ed's interaction with Caspian on Goldwater.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Shy Galadriel » Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

That's the feeling I got as well. Drinian seemed to hit him down a little hard, and I didn't think it was necessary. Also Ed was just doing what Cas should have been doing the whole time. It definitely feels like the whole thing was Caspian's fault for not stepping into the position, so Ed went ahead and took the wheel like he always does.
"I know, you had it sorted." ;)
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Still disagree and thought Edmund spoke a little too quickly and out of turn. He really didn't give Caspian much of a chance to give the orders he eventually did.

And Caspian had been giving orders on the Dawn Treader a while before the arrival of the earthly trio from our world. He had been king for 3 years and was very used to giving orders. And I still support Drinian's attitude and what he said and how he said it. :ymapplause:

But it is apparent that a certain degree of disagreement will remain...agreeably so. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

PreviousNext