This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Characters Who Were Shortchanged...

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Characters Who Were Shortchanged...

Postby Ellie2 » Dec 22, 2010 6:29 am

While many of the character arcs are arguably rushed and undeveloped, I don't think they're a total failure. We get glimpses--and not much else--of Caspian's father complex, Reepicheep's longing for Aslan's country, and Edmund and Lucy's "temptations," etc. Instead of being spoonfed a psychological blueprint of each character, the audience is shown hints here and there, and allowed to "fill in the blanks" in their own minds. You're forced to use your imagination a little and not just passively react to the screen. For a movie as fast-paced as VDT, I think this kind of characterization is, though not perfectly ideal, at least adequate.
Lovely avatar by Mrulockia! Thanks so much! :)
Ellie2
NarniaWeb Newbie

Location: Somewhere trying to come to grips with the fact that I'm done with high-school...

Postby Aravis Narnia » Dec 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Ramandu. He only shows up as a blue star and has no speaking lines.

Was this strictly a budgetary move? Or were they trying hard to give Lilliandil more screen time?
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby moo25 » Dec 31, 2010 7:33 pm

The Seven Lords. They were the whole reason the Dawn treader sets out, and Caspian even says this in the film, but nobody seems to care at all about them! They come across them dead and nobody even acts bothered. They're barely even mentioned, and all the focus is put on their highly illogical swords, yet they were so vital to the book. :ymsigh:
Then Ramandu was shortchanged- his Island's still "Ramandu's Island" but we never find out who he actually is. Lilliandil was shortchanged, it would have been nice to get to know her a bit more.
I could be here for hours. The film really needed 10-15 more minutes just to add in a couple of scenes to help flesh out characters.
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

I think we can all agree that all the characters were shortchanged. The development was completely lacking, both in character and relationships. Maybe if they took out all the stuff they added in and actually developed the characters more, it wouldn't be such an emotionless movie. I think what bothered me the most was that Edmund seemed to go backwards in a way. Instead of him being "Edmund the Just" he went back to being immature and selfish and not trusting Aslan. LWW showed when Edmund changed into a better person, but PC shows how he became a better person. What sticks out to me the most is when Edmund says, "The last time I didn't believe Lucy, I ended up looking pretty stupid." This shows that no matter what, Edmund completely trusts Aslan. And for Edmund to act any differently is the biggest disappointment.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm

all of the lords, Ramandu, Drinian- I feel all couldve played a more important Role in VDT. Even include more of just the crew they are apart of the story, being on the ship and all.

And Uncle Harold couldve been in it more, you dont even see his face!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 22, 2011 12:46 pm

I honestly didn't miss Ramundu or Gumpas..... :D
I wasn't exactly glad that they were gone, don't get me wrong, I just didn't mind their lack of presence. the movie was still awesome to me!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby CharlotteRose » Feb 01, 2011 9:44 am

stateofgreen wrote: Eustace definitely was. Reep was. I'd have liked to see more about Gael even though she really wasn't supposed to be in the movie. And Lilliandil needed more development...

Yeah I totally agree! I think that more of the diary should have been included- and more of the 'how Eustace became a dragon' bits, because it was a bit sudden!
As far as Gael went, I think that if they wanted to add another character then they should have at least made her relevent! She was basically written in so that Lucy can show that she learned her lesson about wishing herself away.
For Lilliandil, more development would've been nice, because otherwise if SC is made ( :ymapplause: ) No one is going to care about the fact that she is now dead and its going to seem stupid that the reason the whole book was written is because someone went to find a random woman... (even though she is Rillians mom! )
hope this makes sense :)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous