This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Luspian

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Luspian

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 13, 2010 12:25 am

As it has been discussed, many of the scenes and thematic elements in the infamous Leaked Script were retained in the final film in a more watered down form. One such controversial item is Lucy's crush on Caspian, which I think made an actual appearance in the final film.

After Caspian mentions they have been gone for three years, Lucy smiles in a peculiar way, curls her hair back the same way she does when watching another girl make out with a soldier, and says, "Have you managed to find yourself a queen in those three years?" When I first saw the movie, the first thing that popped into my mind is that Lucy is hoping that Caspian will find her attractive.

I've thought about it, and I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way than as a clear indication that Lucy has some sort of crush on Caspian. If she was merely curious as to if Caspian was married or not, why would she fiddle with her hair and smile in a strange way? And if she was merely looking to Caspian in hopes of receiving a compliment about her beauty, why would she phrase her question in the way she did? Did she expect Caspian to say, "No, but even though it doesn't have to do with the original question, I just want to say you're pretty!" I doubt it.

What are your thoughts?
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Luspian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 13, 2010 12:41 am

I don't think it was inappropriate. It wasn't romance. Lucy was just interested in King Caspian. It was like a crush (hate that word) but less superficial.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 13, 2010 12:42 am

that's one of the scenes that made me frown. Surely there're other ways to show Lucy's jealousy to her sister's beauty than that. And even if the line is there just to make Caspian mentions Susan one more time, Lucy could've said it in a friendly/sisterly way rather than a fangirly way. So yeah, really don't understand what the filmmakers are up to with it.

I don't think it was inappropriate. It wasn't romance. Lucy was just interested in King Caspian. It was like a crush (hate that word) but more innocent.
hmm nice thought Warrior. Maybe it's no different from Ed's attraction to Lilliandil, e.g. showing how the younger Pevensies have grown up and begin to notice the opposite sexes. Maybe it's not even like that: perhaps Lucy simply wants to know what a handsome guy like Caspian thinks of her looks. *shrugs*
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 13, 2010 12:49 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I don't think it was inappropriate. It wasn't romance. Lucy was just interested in King Caspian. It was like a crush (hate that word) but less superficial.

I think it was awkward because the filmmakers decided to have Caspian grow a beard to emphasize his adultness, while Lucy was still obviously a teenager.

Were you saying that it could be looked at as being no different than a teenage Twilight fan being interested in Robert Patterson? Or that Lucy was merely interested in King Caspian for his personality? (I don't think that it could be the latter due to the way she messed with her hair.)

aslanscountry wrote: Maybe it's not even like that: perhaps Lucy simply wants to know what a handsome guy like Caspian thinks of her looks. *shrugs*

But again, if that was her original intent, the question she chose to evoke that response was a bit strange.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 13, 2010 12:53 am

Oh no. Definitely not any parallel to Twilight fandom. Yes, there was definitely the physical attraction to King Caspian but she also enjoyed his personality. That's my reasoning any way. As the movies have it, there's not much of an age-gap.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 13, 2010 12:57 am

psst...it's Robert Pattinson ;)) (sorry, can't resist! :)) )
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 13, 2010 1:00 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote: As the movies have it, there's not much of an age-gap.

I felt like there was, considering they had Caspian grow a beard. (And in real life, Ben is twice as old as Georgie.)

aslanscountry wrote:psst...it's Robert Pattinson ;)) (sorry, can't resist! :)) )

Darn it. I'm not a Twihard. I don't know these things off the top of my head. :p
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 13, 2010 1:06 am

Lucy could've been playing a 16 year old girl and King Caspian was probably meant to be no older than 20 years old. Having a beard doesn't mean much (some guys can grow beards at 15 years old).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Bookwyrm » Dec 13, 2010 2:12 am

Do I like it? No. Not at all. Making Lucy even slightly into a giggling boy-crazed fangurl goes against every bit of her character development. Is it as bad as it could have been? Nope. It could have been much, much worse than one line.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby coracle » Dec 13, 2010 2:41 am

MinotaurforAslan wrote:I think it was awkward because the filmmakers decided to have Caspian grow a beard to emphasize his adultness, while Lucy was still obviously a teenager.

Lucy wasn't "still" a teenager - she was only just a teenager. In PC she was played as 10 or 11 maximum. Now she is accepted as being 13 and starting to deal with growing up issues. But she is not being played as 15/16 like Susan in PC.

[It's also worth mentioning that the concept of teenagers had not yet drifted across the Atlantic from USA to England]

Caspian was being played as early 20s - it is three years since they saw him last, when he was 17/18. He is a man, a king. And he is not going to be interested in girls of 13, even one who practices self-grooming gestures in front of him. :)

Sorry, Warrior, Lucy was not playing 16.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 13, 2010 2:53 am

Okay, my mistake, I still don't think it was inappropriate as the movie portrayed it.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 13, 2010 4:00 am

Nah! Lucy was just fishing, and wondering about older girl stuff. As coracle said, Lucy is about 13 and dealing with growing up issues. One of them is her sister in America being the object of attention for some ambassador's son or other. Another is Lucy feeling she mightn't measure up to Susan. Especially when Caspian remarks that no he hasn't got a queen as 'there was none to compare with Susan'.

This is Walden's retort to the criticism levelled at C.S.Lewis, that he never paid much attention to adolescence and growing up issues. (Neither did most British children's authors of the time.)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant » Dec 13, 2010 4:58 am

I would have only had a real issue if Caspian flirted back...
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 13, 2010 5:07 am

Yes, that would make it inappropriate. Not back in Jesus day though. :p
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Aravis Narnia » Dec 13, 2010 6:04 am

Honestly, I think Lucy was genuinely curious as to whether Caspian had found himself a queen.

And I think Lucy was joyful that Caspian liked Lilliandil so much.

I did not see Lucy have interest in Caspian specifically at all. Sure sure, she wants to be pretty like Susan so that boys (in general) will like her- but she does not seem to want Caspian specifically.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 13, 2010 8:22 am

Bookwyrm wrote:Is it as bad as it could have been? Nope. It could have been much, much worse than one line.

So Bookwyrm, did you end up watching the movie afterall?
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Next