This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan vs. Lilliandil

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Which romance did you think was done better in the movies

Susaspian
52%
Caspiandill
39%
They were the same
9%

Total votes : 87

Susan vs. Lilliandil

Postby Josh » Dec 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Most of us cringed at the infamous kiss during Prince Caspian's closing, while a few others became diehard Susaspian fans. And then things got complicated when the new film was suppossed to develop a relationship between Caspian and Ramandu's Daughter, now named Lilliandil.

Obviously most of us are fans of the romance that was in the book, so I'm not asking which pairing you like better. I'm asking which romance you think was handled better from a filmaking perspective.

Personally I think both romances could have been handled better. Susan and Caspian had very subtle flirts and glances. The most obvious one being the "You might need to call me again" line and Caspian's heroic rescue of her later in teh film. At the film's end it seemed really strange to have Susan suddenly kiss and hug Caspian as if they were lovers that were being forced to seperate.

Then in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader Caspian, still not over that three day attraction to Susan, goes to Ramandu's Island. Once he see's Lilliandil he thinks she's hot and immediatly starts fliriting. She however, is more interested in speaking expository dialogue about the Dark Island. Caspian tells her he'd like to see her again before she flies back into the sky and is never seen again.

As of now, Susaspian seems more romantic since it was given closure. However, Caspian's relationship with Lilliandil still has room for development in the Silver Chair.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Susan vs. Lilliandil

Postby fireheart209 » Dec 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Much as I don't like the Suspian angle, I have to say it was probably more developed simply because they gave it more screen time. I don't neccesarily think it was better developed--just more developed.

I think they left it open to development in SC but I have to say I think its a definite possibility that this is all we will see of Lilliandil. They could have Caspian be married to somebody else in SC. After all it will only be a flashback (if we get to see her at all.) They did it in the BBC version. Rilian's mother was played by a completely different actress who bore no resemblance to the actress who played RD in that series.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 12, 2010 9:55 pm

^ Oh you're so smart fireheart209, 20 years had passed by since Caspian's and RD's meeting in the BBC so of course they had to cast someone older. It is said in the both books VDT and SC that they got married and implied that it was the same star Caspian met in SC!!

I somewhat find this unnecessary. I mean granted the attraction between Caspian and Susan was a spontaneous infatuation and not a developed romance.

I also feel that Caspian and Lilliandil needed more screentime but what they had is sweet. I mean it was more natural and better than both Caspian and Lilliandil going "I'm in love with you even though we just met, lets make out now!" <--- Something that i very much hated with a deep passion in Suspian. And in truth they will meet again, it'll be obvious that they married, had a kid, Caspian will be depressed over lilliandil's death. I find strong and longer relationships better and more romantic (even though much is not implied in the film, Caspian and Lilliandil will go through more obstacles together then Caspian and Susan did or ever will no matter what you fans out there think!) then an actual person who is not around all the time and had an infatuation with.

Long Live Caspian X and Lilliandil Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 12, 2010 10:12 pm

From a filmmaking perspective...Susaspian. Caspiandil was a five-minute crush/subtle flirt. However, Caspian does say outright that he thinks Lilliandil is beautiful, something he never does for Susan.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby king caspian » Dec 12, 2010 10:17 pm

MinotaurforAslan wrote:From a filmmaking perspective...Susaspian. Caspiandil was a five-minute crush/subtle flirt.

That doesn't matter! Caspiandil was dealt in a realistic way when you start to like someone. Suspian was stupid and rushed! Not romantic at all!

Edit: I agree with DamselJillPole's paragraph! Well said! :ymapplause:
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Suspian. Because it's given way lot more screen time.
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby king caspian » Dec 12, 2010 10:21 pm

aslanscountry wrote:Suspian. Because it's given way lot more screen time.

Not really! It was almost two minutes counting their dialogue. And it doesn't matter! Read Damsels post People!!!!!!!
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby malkah » Dec 12, 2010 10:30 pm

I honestly don't know. Suspian had more screen time, of course, but the kiss truly did not fit and came out of nowhere. Even my non-book-fan friends commented on that.

For the most part, I liked the Caspian/Lilliandil interaction. I thought Caspian's attraction to her came across as more of an interest in her as a person, instead of a reaction only to her looks, like Suspian.

So which is worse, a slight flirtation that was forced into a very unnatural and random ending? Or a relationship that seems to start off on a better footing, but has no closure? :-\

I think I'll have to wait and see what they do with Lilliandil in SC.
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 12, 2010 10:43 pm

^ Exactly my point malkah! :) :D :ymhug: You worded that last part so well! :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bookwyrm » Dec 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I'll be honest, when I saw this thread, I facepalmed. I think we've all grown tired of the pointless and immature shipper wars that have been engaged in by some of our members in the past few months. This is why I'm putting you all on notice. If this turns into another flame war between people who are all old enough to know better (and if they aren't, they shouldn't be on this site), THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED. I don't care who starts it, quite frankly I'm not worried if this notice upsets you. The petty, immature bickering need to stop.

And please, no PMs trying to get me or any of the other mods on your side or explain why it's okay for you to engage in disrespectful behavior. Though several of us dislike the Susaspian ship, I and the rest of the mods are not on anyone's side in this matter.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

king caspian wrote:
MinotaurforAslan wrote:That doesn't matter! Caspiandil was dealt in a realistic way when you start to like someone. Suspian was stupid and rushed! Not romantic at all!

Please calm down...it's not necessary to end every sentence with an exclamation point. (Not trying to overreact, but considering Booky's previous post...)

Also, disclaimer - I am discussing these romances purely from the movie standpoint.

I felt that Suspian was much more realistic than Caspiandil. Suspian was a result of Caspian realizing that, hey...the Kings and Queens of old are actually young...and the queen who's near my age...hey, she's pretty cute. He doesn't outright say this, but the subtle moments throughout the entire rest of the film clearly indicate that there is chemistry between them, from Caspian's subtle glances to Susan's siding with Caspian in the night raid planning and in the middle of in in Cornelius's study. It's a very realistic subconscious romance that is obviously there between the two lovers, but it feels awkward to say anything. Caspiandil was far more shallow. It consisted of Caspian ogling her and outright saying she's beautiful - leaping in headfirst and being quite bold. He gets a flustered and awkward response from Lilliandil. Then, less than 5 minutes later, he tells her he wants to meet her again. She smiles at him, but that's it.

Film suspian was not any more "stupid" than film caspiandil was. It can be said that Caspian was stupid for having a crush on an "ancient queen of old", but how is she any more out of his league than a transforming, glowing, supermodel star woman?

As for "rushed"...I don't think I need to elaborate very much on this. Susaspian was slowly built up throughout the film, while Caspiandil was a short burst of awkwardness that mainly served to make one joke.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Dec 13, 2010 6:05 am

Well i don't like Susan/Caspian from PC, but i think it was more developed. I wish it didn't exist, but it does. Caspian/Ramandu's daughter is not actually a romance in VotDT. They meet once. He says she is beautiful and that is it.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravis Narnia » Dec 13, 2010 6:08 am

While the hints about Caspiandil were strong enough, I think it should have gotten much more attention and development.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby PeterCharn » Dec 13, 2010 6:57 am

Aravis Narnia wrote:While the hints about Caspiandil were strong enough, I think it should have gotten much more attention and development.

I really felt lik the movie was missing ONE FINAL scene at the end of the movie. It should have shown the crew returning to Narnia and maybe Lilliandil coming down from the sky and meeting Caspian in Narnia. This would have shown that their relationship continued and it wont' be a shock in SC if we see that they married.
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 13, 2010 7:12 am

As much as I hate saying this, I think Suspian was better handled as a romance thenCaspiandil. But I absolutely abhore Suspian.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Dec 13, 2010 7:34 am

In my humble opinon, the Suspian romance more complete, more developed and more realistic. It was very subtle, with hints here and there and finally leading to a climax (the kiss). Why I am not a supporter of Suspian (although I didn't mind it that much either) I still think that it was better made. With Caspian and Lilliandil it was for one very rushed, also it was sort of slapped in your face that Caspian is falling in love with Lilliandil and that they are IN LOVE. Also I didn't like the way Caspian said "you are a star, you are most beautiful" to me it was a corny and extra line. I would rather he didn't say anything but rather have their eyes meet and then have Lilliandil lower her gaze while Caspian is trying to catch her eye again. There wasn't really any depth in that part. While I am glad that they kept their meeting nice and short (it is after all not a main point in the book or movie) I think they could have made it a bit better. It somehow seemed.....a bit childish to me.....I don't know. Also there wasn't much response from Lilliandil side. She's to busy talking about the great darkness, at least that is the way it seemed to me.
Again I am talking about this all from a purly movie standpoint. I think that in the movie (not the book) the Caspian and Lilliandil romance was a bit undeveloped
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Next