This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan vs. Lilliandil

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Which romance did you think was done better in the movies

Susaspian
52%
Caspiandill
39%
They were the same
9%

Total votes : 87

Re: Susan vs. Lilliandil

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm

^Yeah, I was scared we'd have Padme and Anakin's wedding scene all over again( if anyone doesn't know, I am TOTALLY against smoochy scenes! :ymsick: ;)) ) And they did nothing but a compliment, if that can be called one...guess it has to do with the new team, Fox, and the new director, Apted.
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 20, 2011 11:54 am

I don't think either were developed very well. Suspian was flirting at first, then she was mad, then she was disappointed that he didn't make a move, then they kiss. Meanwhile, Caspian just thinks Lilliandil's attractive. There was never actually any... relationship between them. I really don't like Suspian though, because it just created a hype that would have to be crushed for Lilliandil.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian_at_heart » May 02, 2011 10:53 am

I voted Suspian. Not because I like Suspian but because I believe it was handled much better by the filmmakers. I don't think Suspian was rushed that much. It was actually (considering today's standards on relationships) fairly slow. :p Although, I'm a fan of the books and wish everything was the same, I don't get horribly upset by the differences. I didn't mind them putting Suspian in that much. It was kind of cute and fortunately, they had Caspian meet Lilliandil.

DamselJillPole wrote:I mean it was more natural and better than both Caspian and Lilliandil going "I'm in love with you even though we just met, lets make out now!" <--- Something that i very much hated with a deep passion in Suspian.

I must disagree with you, damsel. Suspian's kiss was not a makeout session. It was a hug and a four second kiss. That doesn't rate as a makeout session in my book.

I thought the way they did Caspiandil was rather stupid. I thought Caspian's line "You're beautiful" was just dumb. Who says something like that 20 seconds after meeting someone??? A young boy, I guess, but not a 20-something king! And I didn't think Lilliandil was that beautiful anyway. She was pretty I guess, but more in an adorable cute way then a beautiful way. But then, I'm a girl. :p
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » May 02, 2011 1:35 pm

^Ok yeah I agree I went overboard when I said that. But it still makes no difference to me that Caspian and Susan had no relationship to begin with so why kiss? What was Susan's big impact on Caspian to make her kiss him? Sure she obviously was attracted to him and he was to her but they could have shown a relationship between them before that kiss happened. It just didn't look right, but then I'm not a hopeless romantic.

As for the Caspian calling Lilliandil "Most Beautiful" it happens in real life. It happened with my current boyfriend whom i've been with for a year and three months now. We were having a conversation just 5 minutes into knowing each other and he doesn't think he's handsome enough to be an actor and I quote he told me "You're an actress and you're really beautiful" Are you going to tell me that this was wrong and stupid? I look forward from hearing back from you.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian_at_heart » May 02, 2011 4:42 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:^Ok yeah I agree I went overboard when I said that. But it still makes no difference to me that Caspian and Susan had no relationship to begin with so why kiss? What was Susan's big impact on Caspian to make her kiss him? Sure she obviously was attracted to him and he was to her but they could have shown a relationship between them before that kiss happened. It just didn't look right, but then I'm not a hopeless romantic and I point out when people kiss in front of me "Awe that's so cute love is so beautiful" when for all I know those people could break up tomorrow or end up hating each others guts because I don't know the relationship. But yeah before i rant anymore I'd better stop here.

Yea, I do agree with you. I don't believe in kissing after you've only been dating for a few days and Suspian wasn't even in a relationship at all! I guess, what I meant was I wasn't super horribly against Suspian. I wasn't real wild about it because it wasn't in the book but I wasn't going to get upset about it because I knew it wouldn't change anything. I try not to get upset over changes from the book. Yea, it's annoying and I wish it was different but there's nothing I can do to change it and I'm not going to let it keep me from enjoying the movie.

DamselJillPole wrote:As for the Caspian calling Lilliandil "Most Beautiful" it happens in real life. It happened with my current boyfriend whom i've been with for a year and three months now. We were having a conversation just 5 minutes into knowing each other and he doesn't think he's handsome enough to be an actor and I quote he told me "You're an actress and you're really beautiful" Are you going to tell me that this was wrong and stupid? I look forward from hearing back from you.

No, I don't think it was wrong and stupid. I've had people tell me I'm beautiful before and for some reason, I'm thinking I had someone say that just a few minutes into knowing them but I can't remember exactly. I guess, yea, it does happen in real life but I just didn't like Caspian saying it right then. It just didn't seem right in my mind and it seemed weird and kind of out of place.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » May 02, 2011 4:49 pm

That's cool but I liked how Caspian said it still. To me i felt what he said was natural when people find their true soulmates.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Elanor » May 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Damsel - there's nothing wrong with someone calling someone else beautiful/handsome - I think it's sweet and polite, if meant the right way, and though it did seem kind of awkward in VDT, there was nothing wrong with it. All we're saying is that just because you call someone beautiful, doesn't mean you have this great relationship with them. :P You're just complimenting them. :P
The consensus on here seems to be not that people like Suspian better - they just think it was done better, and it was much *more* of a relationship than Caspian and Lilliandil. But they are just referring to those two movies - when the entire plot of all the books is laid out, obviously it's not the same.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » May 02, 2011 4:50 pm

^I wasn't getting into that Elanor. What are you talking about?

And if you thought Caspian and Susan was an actual relationship please explian why they are friends and why they like each other? (shown in movie, not your opinion)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shy Galadriel » May 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I really liked how Lilliandil reacted to Caspian's compliment. Instead of going "Um... Thank you." She responded with a sweet little smile that said, "Oh! Gee. Thanks! Well... you're kinda cute too!" One of the places where directing and acting got the moment just right. I was like, "YES! YES!!! CONTINUE!!!" :ymhug: But they didn't. :(
btw. I obviously didn't keep up with this conversation and saw waggawagga's response. Just because I say I thought there wasn't much there in the Cas/Lilliandil romance doesn't automatically mean that I am I Twilight fan (guh). Oh well, off to read Mansfield Park. ;)
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian_at_heart » May 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Lucy of Narnia wrote:^Yeah, I was scared we'd have Padme and Anakin's wedding scene all over again.

I liked that scene! :p

DamselJillPole wrote:That's cool but I liked how Caspian said it still. To me i felt what he said was natural when people find their true soulmates.

Well, to each their own. :)

DamselJillPole wrote:And if you thought Caspian and Susan was an actual relationship please explian why they are friends and why they like each other?

I think what Elanor was getting at was that Suspian's relationship was worked out more. Not necessarily a bf/gf relationship but how they had a friend relationship and the audience could tell that it was starting to develop into something more.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » May 02, 2011 10:44 pm

^I get that. But it's not the type of relationship i am talking about. In order to have relationships you need to converse and interact with the person. Caspian and Susan only glanced at each other, swaped one liners of non-conversations (their first one was when Susan is mad at him and acts like she is ignoring him and comes off trying to be cute and flirty. What was that? It was stupid) this relationship is rock bottom. It isn't a relationship because no real conversation was shown between them. I think if they could have added that archery scene or filmed them with Caspian talking about his father, his childhood, etc to Susan then okay it would have been a relationship, but no it wasn't. It was mostly playful and joking around than it was serious.

I know people talk about them possibly having a relationship off screen (especially the deleted archery scene) but when I talk about Caspian's and lilliandil's off screen attraction they quickly say 'Yeah well that wasn't shown in the movie so it isn't a romance" don't contradict yourselves. The archery scene wasn't in the film, there was no real relationship between Caspian and Susan because it wasn't in the film! Just because they kiss doesn't seal the deal that they were or ever will be together or are soulmates or makes it a real romance. yeash.

I will say that the only relationship that was properly done in PC was between Peter and Caspian. 1. We knew why they didn't get along. 2. They had actual conversations throught the film (more than Susan did) 3. Their relationship came to a final conclusion settling their differences.

Sorry but fact is Suspian is a down played relationship.

Watch Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann, watch real romantic subplots to other movies and compare those relationships to Suspain. You'll see the difference.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » May 04, 2011 11:12 am

With mutual agreement, your CCD mods have decided that this thread has run its course and is hereby closed (with administrative approval). :|
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Previous