This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lucy-Georgie Henley

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Lucy-Georgie Henley

Postby coracle » Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

If by overacting people are referring to slightly exaggerated PR British English then that is NOT overacting. It simply means you don't like the accent. ;)
No seriously... the place where she says the ship is very Naaaarnian looking is a actually good upper class English accent. And if you compared her accent in most of VDT with Peter, Susan and Edmund in LWW and PC, you would find it is very similar. Remember she is no longer the 8-year old of LWW so her voice tone is lower, and she is supposed to be the sister of Susan - at the same age Susan was played in LWW (13). We should expect some similarity in behaviour and speech, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that there was a deliberate attempt to have Lucy imitating Susan in her voice, just as the script has her wishing to look like her.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 10, 2010 9:56 am

Well I don't think she said Naaaarnian, but the way she projected (right word?) her line there seemed a bit phony...maybe it won't be when it comes into context though. Same w/ Eustace... :-ss
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Dec 11, 2010 8:52 am

I think Georgie was as awesome as ever - she did a great job, she's so gorgeous, and I'm very happy about it. :ymapplause:
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lysander » Dec 11, 2010 10:12 am

I have to agree with W4J and coracle: there was nothing terribly unnatural about her acting. One or two lines, maybe, but those could easily have been due to a bad mix of scriptwriting and editing. I also agree with coracle that you can't expect her to act in exactly the same manner as she did in the earlier movies, because she is no longer a child actor per se.

I thought her performance was one of the highlights of the movie and hope that she gets involved in some other good projects after this: she's easily one of our finest young actresses.
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Dec 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I was very sad that Georgie's acting was not on par with the last two films. I think that it happened mostly because her character was not fleshed out in the script, and she didn't really have a rounded character to work with. She's still a good actress, but her performance was not as much to my liking in this film.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby georgiefan1 » Dec 12, 2010 2:16 pm

I though Georgie did a really good job, I didn't think her accent was very wierd ("narnian looking isn't it") line was a bit wierd but I thought her acting was very good!!! Her face whenever she was sad or scared I loved, really she did a great job
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby moo25 » Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I thought she did a brilliant job! She showed her emotions wonderfully, and her acting was just as amazing as the other two movies. I was a little worried about it just by looking at the trailer, but when the lines were out in context with the scenes they were in it all fitted wonderfully.
The only scene I thought eas the least bit fake was where she was talking to Gael just before they went to sleep, and that was by no fault of Georgie's own- the script writing for that dialogue was bad, and very hard to work with.
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Eh.. i dont think Georgie was under or over acting. She was just kind of on-par. Nothing worth talking about (for pros or cons).
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cymru » Dec 13, 2010 1:02 pm

I think my viewing of Georgie was different because of several reviews I had read. None of them mentioned her specifically but mentioned that the younger actors were more self-conscious this time around, Will Poulter excepted. Once I saw the film, it became apparent that the most visible change was in Georgie.

She did seem much more self-conscious that she was performing. She was pretending to be Lucy, pretending to be emotional, whereas before she just was Lucy. I agree that this is most likely due to her age. Sad though. It was terribly distracting to me through the whole film.
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Lucy was amazing! she really did an amazing job! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Maenad » Dec 15, 2010 2:02 pm

In my almost-professional director opinion, both Georgie and Skandar have hit the point where they are extremely self conscious about their performances (Georgie more so), and that's totally normal. Given a year or two, they'll grow out of it. They're in the process of figuring out who they are as actors, what their process is. Child actors don't necessarily have a "process", which is why their acting comes across as so natural. From interviews, I would guess that Georgie is becoming a very intellectual actor, and it takes a director knowing this to pull intellectual actors out of analyzing everything.

That being said, Georgie's portrayal of Lucy was fabulous. I loved the opposition of her maturity and responsibility coupled with her deep insecurity about her appearance. I especially liked that her envy of Susan came from an honest place, and not out of a shallow, vindictive place. And was anyone else as happy as I was to see Lucy the Valiant instead of Lucy the Needing-to-Be-Rescued that we saw in PC? Lucy was one tough girl this time, just as she ought to be. I think people are so used to Lucy being a child that now that she's growing up, they haven't adjusted to it.
Maenad
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 15, 2010 5:22 pm

One thing I noticed about Lucy was that she got some action shots. I remember an interview with Georgie at the time of LWW and she complained about only getting two lines to get angry. She didn't get anything in PC either, other than running from Telmarines at the end. But in VDT, she gets to wield a sword in Narrowhaven and delivers a nice shot (with Susan's bow of course) to the sea serpent. In the few shots she has, I was impressed.

Yes, Georgie did deliver her weakest performance out of the three, but that's partly because she's not one of the lead characters. She's third on the list, where in LWW and PC, she was #1. Skandar and Will and #2 and #1 in terms of character arcs as well as acting skills. I did like her, and she did a good job at portraying the teenage girl in puberty and seeking the attention of teenage boys. Lucy is the most human in VDT and part of that has to do with her child-like faith getting mixed with adult responsibilities and awareness. Best she could have done? I'd still say she has room for improvement on this go around, but not much. And yes, she could have used a stronger script.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I think Georgie did pretty well considering the poor script she was given, though there were a few times where her acting could have used some work.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Dec 16, 2010 10:47 am

I liked Lucy's personality in this one more. She is more mature yet still innocent. :D

Thanks to Shastafan for the Signature and thanks to lizzyhenley009 for the avatar.
AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elanor » Dec 16, 2010 11:35 am

I also really liked Lucy's personality, and Georgie did such a great job on it. I think Gael looking up to her really helped to show that she was growing up and maturing. And she did a great job being unsure of herself. I love the beginning . . . :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby starkat » Dec 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Saw the movie again tonight. Something I didn't comment before was Lucy the fighter. We saw her fight in this movie. I thought it was a nice way of showing how she had grown up into the queen she was at the same age in Narnia as well as being an older teen on her way to adulthood willing to fight for what she believed in. Yet she never lost the part that makes her Lucy.
starkat

PreviousNext