This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund - Skandar Keynes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Edmund - Skandar Keynes

Postby Fledge » Dec 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Skandar Keynes was my favorite actor and is tied for first now. (With Poulter)

I agree with lysander in that the material Keynes was given was poorly done. But, he did do excellent with his "second fiddle" line but after that, I did not like.

But my goodness, his "Please let me hit him" line was so great!

I was disappointed with Keynes acting, but I blame the script for that.

And I believe his temptation is plausible because he WAS always second and not really recognized.

I also agree I love how Ed is protective of Lu.
Praying 4 Skandar member.
Fledge
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Maki » Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Yes! The deathwater scene drove me insaaane! He changed so much since the first film, and has just gone backwards now! I guess he was better at the end again.. but it still made me really mad!
Also I don't think Skandar's acting was very good in this one. Many lines just seemed very akward and unfitting. Like he was doing a read through.
Although he's gotten extra cute so that kind of made up for it! ;)
Signature by Ithilwen
Maki
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lirenel » Dec 11, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm with the group that likes the Dragonwater scene, but you have to take it in it's entirety. Yes, he was tempted, and he fought Caspian. But if you watch Skandar's eyes and movements, you see a lot more. He hesitated in putting down the golden seashell. When Caspian asks to come with him to look for Eustace, you can tell that they're both a little sheepish and uncomfortable and that Caspian offered as a way to make up to him. And Edmund *shone* with the line "He was just I boy, I should have protected him" when they find Eustace's burned clothes. At that moment, I felt he was an adult who looked like a kid and just remembered it.

If the movie hadn't been so choppy I think I would have more to say, too.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fireheart209 » Dec 13, 2010 10:00 am

When I was a kid,reading these books, I identified closest with Lucy. After seeing the movies, Edmund has become my favorite character. This is due in no small part to Skandar's protrayal of him. He has always just been Edmund so perfectly. You can feel what Edmund feels just by the look in his eyes. That, for me, is great acting.

There was some stuff I didn't like about Edmund's character in this movie, but not near as much stuff as I thought there might be.

Things I loved.
"You won't see it from the other side of the door" (to Eustace)
"Where's my sister?--Where is she?!"
I loved Ed and Lucy's relationship in this movie.
I loved that they showed that Edmund and Caspian were good friends. Twice in the book, Caspian refers to Edmund as his brother so I think the "I think of you as my brother" line was very appropriate. I love that they put that scene in there but this has to go on my not-so-good list as well because its one of two places (the other being when they are talking under the stars) where Caspian says something really heartfelt to Edmund and he just seems less than enthusiastic with his response.

I also loved Edmund feeling responsible when they thought Eustace was dead. "He's just a kid"

Ed's battle scenes were great as always. I could have done without the drawnout moment with the Witch--but Skandar's acting was spot on in this scene. You can believe what he is feeling by the look in his eye--awesome acting.

More awesomeness at the end when he is crying. Just too rushed--there wasn't time to really get into the scene. But that didn't have anything to do with the acting.

Dislikes:

I didn't like the whole "second fiddle" , "nobody loves me", "I want to be king again" angle. In the beginning, Edmund is upset because he wants to be treated like an adult ( "I've led armies") but in the next moment he is sticking his tongue out at Uncle Harold , wanting to do violence toward someone who is obviously weaker than he and petulantly whining that they aren't important as if their parents started WW2 on purpose just to inconvenience him--ick. Not Edmund--not Edmund in the slightest.

"Awkward moment" rebuke by Drinian. Felt so out of place. I guess they were trying to make it seem like Edmund was "taking over" to add to the character arc they made up for him. A contrived added conflict that went totally against the characters in the book in order to pander to the Hollywood mentality that if a person is not the ONLY one in charge and in control, they are worthless. No one feels like a second fiddle unless they are treated like a second fiddle. Edmund was always a king in his own right and was never treated with anything but respect for his position.

Deathwater--This was pretty good, other than the secod fiddle line. I would have preferred that they didn't give Caspian's line to Edmund, but as they were both equally tempted by the gold, I guess it doesn't matter who started it. Skandar did do a pretty good creepy, crazed look.

Overall I loved Skandar's performance as usual and was very glad that the parts I didn't like were limited to just a few moments.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

oh wow, where to start -
ok Edmund was amazing in this movie! he far exceeded the awesome acting he did in PC! this was Edmund as I remember him from the book! I love it!
Skandar did a great job!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby cuppycakesrach » Dec 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Skandar definitely has been my favorite actor the whole time, mostly ithink because Edmund is my favorite character because I relate to Edmund .. the things he went through and goes through in this movie are so similar to the things I go through. In a way I feel like the Edmund was created for me to see how to act in situations that I am placed in.
I believe Skandar was amazing in this film as always and I wish so badly that Edmund wasn't leaving Narnia. Skandar is also an extremely nice person! I went to the premiere in Knoxville and both my friends got to interview him and he was so nice, and when he came in the theatre I was so excited I just screamed his name and he turned and waved at me. Skandar is an amazing person and he plays an amazing role! :)
" We have nothing if not belief"
cuppycakesrach
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby moo25 » Dec 13, 2010 4:01 pm

I thought Skandar did an incredible job as Edmund once again! He acted the role with his usual brilliance, you could feel Edmund's emotions so perfectly.
I was quite infuriated however, when the screenwriters added in that moment where Drinian tells him the ship only takes orders from Caspian. What a way to make Edmund feel resentful...*grumbles* I don't know, there was just something about that that really irked me. It really did make me feel like Ed was slightly underpreciated for a little while, for the second film running. X(
His interaction with Eustace however... =)) that was spot on! Skandar delivered those lines to perfection, and I *loved* it. I also adored how Skandar said that line when they find Eustace's burnt clothes. That was so well done...I felt so sad for him!
I wasn't too pleased with the way his lines were written in the Goldwater scene however- callup on PrinceCaspian!Peter much? The way Ed and Caspian reacted to the gold was great, and so was Skandar's acting, I just hated the whole "second fiddle" thing.
Edmund and Lucy's relationship in this film was wonderful, though I wish they'd properly hugged...just *once* would have been nice! Ed's battle sequences were brilliant, and through the second half of the film my grumbles about Ed being underpreciated completely disappeared.
All in all, there were some faults with teh script writing, but Skandar nailed Edmund yet again! :D

(Is it me...or did I ramble an awful lot in this post? :-s )
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 15, 2010 4:31 am

Skandar improved a lot. His acting was enhanced with the character he needs to portray. He was a bit like a comedian because of how he treats Eustace.

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby eustacegirl » Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am

I love Edmund! He did put an arm around Lucy when Gale jumped off the ship. I loved how protective he was of her. Even in his temptation, he thought fo her being rich wiht him as being a good thing.
eustacegirl
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby georgiefan1 » Dec 15, 2010 7:22 am

moo25 I agree I wish so so so much they would've had some sort of proper hug besides the side hug! X(

on another note I think Skandar did amazing, he really got into the character and was great! My favorite thing of him was probabally the first scene in Lucys bedroom where hes arguring with Eustace I loved :p
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 15, 2010 7:31 am

I liked Skandar's acting when he was given a good script to work with, just about every one of his smaller lines were really lame.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fireheart209 » Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree with you aragorn2, the parts I wasn't so thrilled about weren't due to bad acting. They were Skandar just trying to do his best with lame scriptwriting.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jo_yan » Dec 15, 2010 7:15 pm

I didn't thought about how protective Edmund's toward Lucy in this movie until someone mentioned it. I agree that the relationship between Ed and Lu is great. They were so believable as siblings, they would just hang out and tease each other, worry about each other when there's danger, Ed would comfort Lucy when she's sad and Lucy, in turn, would seek comfort from Ed (after Lucy's dream sequence).

It's amazing how much their relationship has evolved from LWW. I haven't watched LWW for more than a year and I'm planning to revisit LWW and PC before watching VDT again, it would be interesting to see Ed as the brat again after seeing how nice he's towards Lucy here. ;;)
jo_yan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I just loved him acting as Edmund all throughout the movie. He really worked his role and showed how he is as a brother to Lucy. Sometimes he was a bit silly but he still knows his limitations ;))

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby check_the_gate » Dec 15, 2010 8:46 pm

flambeau wrote:Loved the interaction between Caspian and Edmund! Just loved the whole thing, even the scene at Goldwater. Skandar's acting may have been a little weird there, but I can overlook it; I just chalk it up to the fact that he's being tempted by insane wealth and power... who wouldn't be acting a little bit strange in a situation like that? :P

I agree. I think it was nice to see the tension build between the two during the Goldwater scene, and I personally enjoyed seeing Edmund kind of...well...explode. He's one of the few characters that I've always sympathized with; You know, the whole lost-in-the-shadow-of-my-older-brother thing. It was nice to see him actually speak up...even if he was merely being tempted by this "green" mist nonsense. But, what a brilliant scene!

Every since viewing LWW, I was interested to see how Skandar would handle having more of a leadership role in VDT. I didn't know if he could quite fill the shoes of Will by being the head honcho and the dependable older brother. But he did a fantastic job! It was great to see him be more of an action hero in this movie. Being the big (understatement) Edmund fan that I am, my opinion may be a little biast. But regardless, I think he really stepped up for this movie. This was clearly his best performance out of all of the Narnia movies. Kudos Skandar. :ymapplause:
"If you're going through hell...keep going"
~Winston Churchill

check_the_gate
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » Dec 21, 2010 2:51 pm

I really found myself disappointed with Skandar. In LWW his performance shone, and in PC, he was just what Edmund ought to be. In VoDT, he was, honestly, the weakest of the main cast. His performance at Deathwater was embarassingly weak, and his show of grief at finding Eustace's clothes was poor. He had a lot of strong moments interspersed with entire scenes that were poorly done. He pulled it together during the battle (splendidly done), only to lose all his momentum during the end scene. His Aslan's Country dialogue was awkard and stilted.

Why? Of course, the script. It was poor in a lot of ways. I think one factor might be that Skandar simply lost interest; it appears he just was bored for some days on set and so decided to read his lines off, rather than act them. I can't blame him, he's been doing these films for eight years, and he's not even going into acting as a career. So I can sympathise with his loss of interest, while at the same time I wish he had tried to make more of an effort to go out with a bang, as Georgie did.

Obviously, this is all my opinion, and a lot of you will disagree; I don't want to offend anyone...
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext