This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian - Ben Barnes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Caspian - Ben Barnes

Postby DamselJillPole » Feb 03, 2011 11:54 am

Yeah, Ben Barnes stated that it was his idea to have the beard in the film because he felt his beard made him appear older. He is definitely right and yes I love his beard! :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 05, 2011 2:55 pm

I just can't say enough how much I like Ben's acting in VotDT! :D I mean, he was amazing in PC, but he just excelled beautifully in VotDT! he reminded me of my older brother - he was almost like an older brother to the Pevensies and Eustace in this film. and he was totally natural! he did an awesome job! :ymapplause: :D :D :) B-) :-bd
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Apr 09, 2011 6:10 am

My niece (age 9) saw VDT for the first time yesterday. One of her first comments: He doesn't even look like Caspian anymore!
lol
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MountainFireflower » Apr 09, 2011 10:56 am

Your niece is right, AslanIsOnTheMove. Caspian does look quite a bit different, so much so that it surprised me! ;))

I myself think the change was for the better. At first I wasn't sure I would like his long hair & beard, but I ended up loving the kingly look that he had. His acting was also superb. I have to say I liked him a lot better in VDT than I did in PC. I appreciate the filmmakers' choice to use Ben Barnes even more now. It wasn't that he was bad in PC, but his role was definitely expanded on in VDT, and that's the part I like about it. :)

Here's a question to discuss: Did you like Ben Barnes' performance in Prince Caspian or Voyage of the Dawn Treader better?
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Apr 09, 2011 11:27 am

I don't know. I really liked them both. I missed the accent I must say. I may have liked PC Better. I don't know if you all saw this but Mr. Barnes is up for an award at the National Movie awards. He and Georgie both actually, for Performance of the Year. And VDT is up for Fantacy Film. You can vote online. More info on the subject can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3058
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » Apr 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Mostly Ben talking (and Will) again interviewed by BBC 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7692GkGWrY8

UK Magic Radio video interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBC5o9uVDM0&NR=1

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Lilliandil » May 04, 2011 7:00 pm

MountainFireflower wrote:
Here's a question to discuss: Did you like Ben Barnes' performance in Prince Caspian or Voyage of the Dawn Treader better?

I really liked him in both, but I liked him the best in VDT because he seemed more involved. He was more of an adult and less like a run-away Prince. He seems great with kids so I think if he picks another movie it should be one that is family friendly, and involves him and kids. He could also do a comedy, because he is very funny. Overall he does a great job.

( I always wondered if the cast ever reads the forums)
Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104
Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"
Lady Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » May 04, 2011 9:14 pm

MountainFireflower wrote:Here's a question to discuss: Did you like Ben Barnes' performance in Prince Caspian or Voyage of the Dawn Treader better?
Good question. I preferred his performance in Dawn Treader because he was allowed to use his regular accent. I think an actor's performance runs more "true" when they speak in their native dialect. Plus I prefer the more mature Prince Caspian. I don't think I can imagine anyone else playing him better in the movies.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby cherish » May 04, 2011 10:28 pm

MountainFireflower wrote:

I would like to answer to that question too, thank you ;;)
Well, I think Ben's performance was extraordinary in both movies. His character in Prince Caspian was a bit dizzy at the beginning, but he learned quickly how to take care of everything and he learned something. In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader he was a bit older, he was mature (i hope i wrote it well) and he was different then the Caspian from the previous movie. Anyway, I like his performance in both movies :ymblushing: (sorry for bothering)
cherish
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 06, 2011 2:38 pm

I love Ben in PC. but he's even better, IMO, in VotDT!!!!! in PC, he's playing an unsure, young, scared prince who has to face his own people in battle to take back the throne that was taken from him.
but in VotDT he is playing an 20-something adult who has been king for three years and knows his way around and has authority.
I honestly think that it was a good thing that they got rid of the accent. Ben did a good job with it in PC, but he seems almost more natural in VotDT without the accent. like, he seems more real if that makes sense.

I agree with Lady Lilliandil: Ben was more involved in VotDT. :D
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 04, 2011 11:48 am

Please read my Yahoo! blog post "Caspian and Aslan: Father and Son" for my defense of Caspian (played by Ben Barnes) in Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, and Silver Chair. Caspian's character arc in these three books (and the two Walden films) is finding a father in Aslan. Caspian is NOT a wimp in the Dawn Treader film! My defense explains why.

I think Ben is the perfect King Caspian in Dawn Treader. No one else can play him - ever. Beard, long hair, commanding voice: perfect. :x Ben himself said Caspian's journey in the two films mirrored his journey as an actor. He was unsure of himself on the PC set in 2007. But coming back to play VDT Caspian in 2009 was easier, because he'd had more practice on film sets and in interviews. :)

New project for Ben = "The Words"! You can learn more about this project on IMDb and Ben's role in it on the news section of his IMDB profile (pages 1-2).
220chrisTian

Postby Shastafan » Jun 04, 2011 6:08 pm

No, I wouldn't ever say that Caspian is a wimp in VDT, but he does makes some dumb choices throughout the film ("Let's sleep on the island with no guards posted!")... :p

I do agree that Ben did a great job, though. I don't believe there's such thing as anyone not being to do Caspian better, but I think he was one of the best choices out there. His acting has improved, and even if I don't like some of the things they did with this character in VDT, he still does a great job pulling it off. ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Evelyn » Jun 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Ben was very solid in VDT, and he didn't have as many cheesy lines. I think he performed really well. I really liked him in PC, better, though. But I'm not sure why. I like the beard, but I do miss the accent. Without it, you sometimes almost forgot PC, and all he went through in that one. But he was very kingly in VDT. Yeah, he did do a few stupid things.
Merry Christmas!

"I'm here to save Elizabeth!" ~ Will Turner
Evelyn
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby juzuma loves lucy » Jun 05, 2011 10:46 pm

It's great! Like in PC, great. I love words"We'll find your lost citizens" and both Farewell Scenes. I :ymhug:
juzuma loves lucy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Lilliandil » Jun 06, 2011 5:23 am

220chrisTian wrote:New project for Ben = "The Words"! You can learn more about this project on IMDb and Ben's role in it on the news section of his IMDB profile (pages 1-2).

I heard about that! I really don't understand it though. Something about stealing someone's work or something like that. Oh and If y'all don't know he has a new agent too. Ok back to Narnia! I like how they kept that brotherly quality of Caspian in VDT. I like how he is everyone's brother! :)
Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104
Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"
Lady Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am

I think the biggest reason I liked him best in VotDT was that I can see, through Ben's performance, why the Pevensies like Caspian so much. he plays Caspian in such a way that I wish I knew someone like him. :D
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext