This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian - Ben Barnes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Caspian - Ben Barnes

Postby Lady Haleth » Dec 14, 2010 6:35 am

It never said exactly, but I think he was supposed to be about sixteen or seventeen.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Dec 14, 2010 7:21 am

I really liked Caspian in VDT! He was so totally the young king. I really loved the relationship that Caspian and Ed have. I loved Deathwater! I think Ben has really become the part!
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 14, 2010 3:25 pm

WickedDreamer wrote:So sorry for this random question, I have not read the books, but just wanted to know how old Caspian was in VDT?

Thanks in advance

Like Lady Haleth said above he's supposed to be 16/17 but since in PC movie he already appears like 17, that'll make him about 20 years old in VDT movie.
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lysander » Dec 14, 2010 6:36 pm

16 according to the NWeb Character Ages page. Thank goodness for on-site resources! W00t! :D
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 16, 2010 9:11 pm

He really brought his title to the next level! I love his acting and his accent. :D Yeey for Ben!!

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Haleth » Dec 23, 2010 11:51 am

I came into the movie not expecting to like him, but I actually thought he was much better than he was in PC. Losing the corny accent certainly helped. I actually found him to be much closer to his personality in the book than he had been in the previous movie (with the exception of the whole father issue.) So overall, he was one of the better things about the movie.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby hogglestock » Dec 31, 2010 10:32 pm

I was at a party tonight and overheard a friend saying something like, "I sure am glad they re-cast Caspian, because they guy they had last time sure didn't have any Oscars in his future!" So I guess that's a vote for Ben's acting for this movie. :D And the importance of the accent. ;)
~Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen.~
hogglestock
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Shastafan » Jan 01, 2011 11:43 am

^ hogglestock, my sister kept asking me if I was sure Ben Barnes was still playing Caspian in VDT! =))

Make way for King Caspian! I adored him in PC, and I love him in VDT. Although I think the accent is cool, I agree it's a good thing that he lost it for this film, especially if it improved his acting. Just how Caspian had grown in leadership and authority was very awesome! And his friendship with Edmund and short moment with Lilliandil was very sweet and well done. His fighting, stunts, emotions... Ben really hit the character this time! If we get another chance to see him again, I will be very pleased! Great job for Caspian and Ben! ;) :D
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Faroegirl » Jan 16, 2011 9:33 am

I liked Ben Barnes very much as King Caspian. I liked the accent in PC as well, but the English one is better. I'm not fond of the beard, though, because Caspian is still supposed to be quite young, but ok. That's not a big issue for me.

Caspian is more confident, and not as stiff and earnest as in PC. He has grown and become a king in his own right. I think Ben Barnes portrays him well. Especially in the fight with Edmund, I loved that! I would have loved seeing him march into Gumpas' castle, Narrowhaven was a bit of a disappointment. But that's not BB's fault.
BB's performance was good!!
Faroegirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm

I just saw VotDT for the 4th time yesterday. I am constantly amazed at how Caspian's character improved when the accent was dropped! it felt more like Ben had more room to put himself into his role and it seemed so much more realistic and natural! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 21, 2011 4:01 pm

^^ I agree!!! I feel that without the accent he truly got to step into his own without having to make sure the accent was okay. His acting was very good in the movie! Bravo Ben!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 21, 2011 4:05 pm

^^and Caspian seemed more like a brother to the Pevensies and Eustace this time. he seemed like a big older brother! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I really liked Caspian's and Edmund's relationship in the movie definitally, really brotherly, I liked it :D
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CharlotteRose » Jan 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Ben Barnes' performance was awesome! I like how they aged him a little and made him more of a king than a prince with the beard and (...thank goodness) the lack of floral shirts that look like my uncle in Hawaii mode :D
But non the less, he was great, and i think that Caspians character is better portrayed as being older, because i cannot imagine a teenager coming out with some of the lines that C.S.Lewis wrote, Narnian or not!
I also think that Will Poulter doesn't overshaddow Ben Barnes' performance, as they do not have much dialogue together (Never the less they are both great!!!)
I loved them both :)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant » Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm

You know, I didn't think I would like the beard, but once I watched the film, I did. It made him look more mature and kingly. :D
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Lilliandil » Feb 02, 2011 11:24 am

The first time I saw the beard It was my Birthday, and i remember laughing so hard! I had mistaken him for a stunt double! But his acting was fab! :D I really thought that he had done Caspian just he like he should be. He is very good at what he does, he does have a gift! :) I loved how Caspian was everyone's big Bro! I think Ben does an amazing job!
Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104
Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"
Lady Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext