This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian - Ben Barnes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Caspian - Ben Barnes

Postby aslanscountry » Oct 26, 2011 7:26 am

You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Mar 28, 2012 7:34 am

Re: Ben Barnes in the upcoming movie The Seventh Son. They released the first concept art for the movie today and it's beautiful. But I can't read the synopsis without laughing hysterically. It's the same story as every other modern fantasy story (Dungeons and Dragons, countless video games, etc etc). I doubt this one will be any different. But I like the concept art! ;))

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88509

I'll be curious to see how Ben looks in full makeup for this one. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby MountainFireflower » Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks for the link, FK! I hadn't heard of this movie nor Ben Barnes' involvement until now. It'll be exciting to see where this goes. He's such an amazing actor and I'm glad he's getting a chance at more roles.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby lover of narnia » Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm

To AslansChild: Ben was in a play called Birdsong two years ago during the London premiere of VDT. I remember that he had to miss the initial showing of the movie (and the Queen!) because of him having to duck away to get to the play on time. There is a whole gallery of his performance/posters here for it, if you, or anyone else, are interested. :) You can read a summary of Birdsong here. (Note: I am not sure about the content of the comments on this page, so just a fair warning. Some people aren't always polite with their admiration or excitement.)

On the subject of The Seventh Son, I am also quite excited/interested for/in it. It's good to see Ben back into something with a fantasy genre, and I am looking forward to see exactly what Ben's character is like; since no articles have really expounded on that. Even if I am unable to see the actual film, I'll be happy to see the trailer. It looks to be a interesting role for him and I'm really glad he landed it! :)

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Jun 11, 2012 2:44 am

TSS looks like it will be more in the category of dark fantacy. The books are geared toward children 10 and up, but have been criticized for being far too gorey and frightening for children. They've been called more of a young adult series for that reason. They're quite engaging. I've read up to book 7.

The synopsis more or less tore my heart out because it sounds nothing like the book, but oh well. The sad thing is I only started reading the series (which is titled the The Last Apprentice, here in America and The Wardstone Chronicles in the UK, for those interested in reading it ;) ) because of Ben. Had there been no film of the book series I would've never heard of, much less read, it. Now that I've read the books I am halfway dreading the film, as it looks to be utterly different from the series. Yet I have high hopes that it will still be good.

In the books
Tom Ward is supposed be a thirteen-year-old boy who's been apprenticed to the local Spook (not knight!) to learn to fight witches and boggarts and creatures of "the Dark" as the series refers to them.

The Spook is completely mortal and he imprisoned the which within a normal lifespan.

The first book isn't near so epic and cheesy as the synopsis of the film sounds. Their goal isn't to save the world from the most evil witch the world has ever known. It's more about teaching Tom how to protect the County (Yes the County not the entire world) from things of the dark. Yes there is a witch who escapes, (more like Tom accidently frees her from her pit because he's young and naive) but she doesn't get out until much later in the book and she is NOT the main focus. Tom's journey of growing up, leaving his family, learning to face more fears than any child should ever have to face, and learning to defend the people of the County is the focus.

I'm sorry to go off on a rant like that :ymblushing: I'm just not to crazy about how they took these original tales, stripped the stories of heart and soul and put it back together in cheesy Hollywood style. But hopefully I'm wrong the summary is just really bad.

As for Ben's role as Tom Ward, as I stated Tom is supposed to be 13. Ben is well... definitely not going to pass for 13. But Caspian was also supposed to be really young and I think Ben did a superb job as Caspian's character even though he was older than he should've been. He plays young, naive and innocent well so I'm not worried about Ben at alll. I have great faith in him as an actor. It's just everything else that worries me lol :p
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Ben played his role very well - even better in VDT than in PC.
He was very kingly in VDT, if that is the right word - I felt he had a certain authority and security in his position as established King of Narnia. I wish there had been more time in the movie to show it even better.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby wild rose » Jul 31, 2012 11:54 am

I liked Ben as Caspain, even though the book does describe him as having blonde hair, when I went to see the movie, I really liked the way they made the Telmorines and I was glad that Caspian had dark hair. I also loved the Spanish accent, I was sorry they took it out. In VDT, I agree with Varnafinde, that he played a more kingly role, but then that would make sense, after all, in PC, he is just a prince, who is learning how to become a king, and in VDT he is already a king. I wish they would have stuck to the book more, because movie king Caspian made quite a bit of foolish mistakes. But either way, Ben seems to have that noble bearing about him, which I think was perfect for Caspian, both as a prince and as a king :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Just today I believe the trailer for one of Ben's new movies, The Big Wedding came out.

Now, there are some things in the trailer that make it a bit too non-family friendly to post in here, but if one wants to look it up in their spare time, I just thought I'd let you know. ;)

I think the movie looks rather... hmm, strange, but fun. I probably won't be able to see it though.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby lover of narnia » Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Thank you for that little update, Lou. The movie's synopsis sounded more in the interesting category, but since I do believe it is geared to be, sort of, a comedy, the fun aspect might be expected.

The trailer for The Words also came out a little bit earlier this year. I would also warn that there might be some scenes in there, depending on which trailer version, that would be deemed non-family friendly, so I shan't post a link here. Mr. Barnes stars in that as a younger Jeremy Irons. What I found cool about this role is that he is playing a WWII soldier, and I have always been attracted to that time period. I probably shall not be seeing the movie, but the few clips of Mr. Barnes set in a '40's setting did look interesting.

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

lover of narnia wrote:The trailer for The Words also came out a little bit earlier this year.

Oh yes! I saw it come on during the Olympics last night, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Ben Barnes. :D I wasn't expecting to see him at all since I hadn't heard anything about this movie or his involvement in it prior to this. When I saw him, my eyes remained riveted to the screen for the remainder of the trailer. ;)) He looks fantastic. I'm so excited to see him getting more film roles! :D He and the rest of the Narnia cast deserve them.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 06, 2012 11:59 pm

The Big Wedding trailer of Ben Barnes' new movie came out today. You can find it on youtube or imdb. I don't know if I can post it because it has some minor references, but it seems it'll be really funny. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Aug 20, 2012 6:39 am

Just thought I'd drop in and say happy 31st birthday to Ben Barnes! :ymparty:

We at NarniaWeb wish you many more years to come and many more great films in the future! :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MountainFireflower » Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for remembering that, Leah! :D You're awesome.

I too would like to wish a happy birthday to Ben Barnes, albeit belatedly. Thank you for giving us such an amazing portrayal of Caspian, you were amazing. (And in my opinion, the best Caspian EVER! ;)) ) Good luck to you on future ventures, and I hope you have an absolutely blessed year! :ymhug:
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am

The Words hits theatres today.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslansChild » Dec 07, 2012 7:36 am

A picture of Barnes from The Seventh Son,

Reminds me of the film Eragon. Looks interesting though!
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Dec 07, 2012 8:15 am

Reminds me of the film Eragon. Looks interesting though!
Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of those fantasy stories, they all run together. I can't envision this movie doing well as it's "another fantasy movie" but you never know... it might be amazing.
I like the pic though, thanks for sharing. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext