This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace - Will Poulter

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby Lady Haleth » Dec 23, 2010 8:48 am

I loved Eustace. He pulled off the bratty whiny kid role perfectly. They even had him writing in his diary! I also liked how Reepicheep came over and comforted Dragon-Eustace.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant » Dec 24, 2010 8:04 pm

I was so pleased that they included the diary. I knew before I saw the movie that it would be included (thanks to spoilers ;) ) but I grinned from ear to ear when I saw it one screen! :D
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lillian » Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I loved Will Poulter as Eustace!!! He was amazing! :ymapplause:
Avatar and Signature by lover of narnia Thank you!
Lillian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Was watching a few of the interviews again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4d3kEvb ... re=related

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Faroegirl » Jan 16, 2011 9:20 am

I'm impressed with Will Poulter. He was really good!
Faroegirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Conina » Jan 16, 2011 2:05 pm

I agree with other posters, I was so happy to see Eustace writing in his diary. I felt like Will Poulter did a great job with the role both before and after the undragoning. My favorite line:

"For reasons beyond my comprehension, we’ve taken the advice of a senile old coot who doesn’t possess a razor, and dawdles around in a dressing gown. So, we’re back in this tub and lost in a tempest. Brilliant. Fourteen days of being tossed like a pancake and not the slightest sight of land. The only consolation is everyone is finally as miserable as I am. Except for that show off talking rat, he’s one of those annoying ‘glass is always half full types.”
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Jan 16, 2011 10:30 pm

I think he did a good job too, I REALLY got annoyed with him before he turned into a dragon.
Thing is, I still didn't really warm up to him after he became a kid again :-o , even though I felt like I was supposed to like him now. In the book I did somehow. Oh well, maybe in SC he'll grow on me? :-\ ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 16, 2011 10:43 pm

I would bet if they had developed pre and post dragon Eustace more you probably would have warmed up a lot more to him. I can't help repeating that I found it a shame the production team didn't capitalize on this more than they did as there was a lot of untapped depth they could have done with the character.

Some new pics from Wild Bill that Will's been filming are located here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 1404610720

Some on set of Wild Bill videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkON0e7qlw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifRtk4D ... re=related

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CharlotteRose » Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I think Will played Eustace beautifully! If they make silver chair (Which I sincerly hope they do!) then he will shine even more as the 'hero'! I'm so glad that fans have accepted him becasuse, as others have said, the fans reaction to VDT realy is the factor that will decide if SC will be made or not! They are going to need to find a fab actress to play Jill and not get too badly over shadowed! And the fact that he seems so nice in real life is great too because i don't like to see young actors and actresses that think they know it all. plus, has anyone noticed the fact that in VDT quite a few of the shots of Lucy and edmund make them look a lot like Eustace? not at first glance but in some scenes...
:)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm

I think it's the other way round. Eustace looking more like Lucy and Ed is a lot more apparent at the end when he's his new self. Will fit in really well.

And yes he comes off very nice in all of the interviews I've seen of him--humble, and highly intelligent in his answers.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

oh I know! Will looks a lot like Skandar and Georgie - he fit right in! :D
and he did such a good job of being so awful and then goes right into being so changed later! :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby CharlotteRose » Jan 26, 2011 1:02 pm

stateofgreen wrote:I think it's the other way round. Eustace looking more like Lucy and Ed is a lot more apparent at the end when he's his new self. Will fit in really well.

And yes he comes off very nice in all of the interviews I've seen of him--humble, and highly intelligent in his answers.

Yeah, you're right, I got it the other way round :-S But yes, either way they did look like part of the same family, which was great.
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cara_Moines » Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm

I agree completely. Will is simply an amazing actor who nailed the character of Eustace. I have to admit, when I heard he would play him, I doubted if he could portray Eustace the way the character is portrayed in the book, but he did it perfectly, with such acting that literally brought me to tears. Well done, Will :ymhug: xx
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
There is the utter East.
Cara_Moines
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 26, 2011 3:10 pm

CharlotteRose wrote:Yeah, you're right, I got it the other way round :-S But yes, either way they did look like part of the same family, which was great.

Oh CharlotteRose I do agree it goes both ways. :)

On a side note, I'm still in mourning over the fact of how little screentime Will P. got as Eustace. So sad they delayed things and made him wait so long to play Eustace, because him looking younger for SC than he is now would just compliment his performance more in SC. Not that he wouldn't be able to still do a decent job for SC as an older-than-the-book-Eustace.

In any case, hoping he gets some meaty roles in other films. He's a real find.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 220chrisTian » Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm

I posted this in the 'cast of the BBC chronicles' thread a few days ago. And I'd like others' thoughts... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2584&p=136787#p135015

I haven't seen the new VDT yet. Based on what I've seen of him in trailers and short clips, I think Will was perfectly cast as Eustace. But I think his scripted role (and acting) were a little overdone. He's almost a caricature rather than a real human being. I've heard Will goes from bad to good, too fast, and there's no real character development in between. As bad as some people are, they're individuals with quirks. And sometimes those quirks include compassion and kindness. My mother and I have both witnessed sinners being kinder to us in a hard or rough time than Christians, church people. People are humanly inconsistent. There are shades of gray in every person's makeup. It's not all black and white. And this is what I think David Thwaite as Eustace had [BBC], and Will as Eustace missed. Whose fault is that? Probably the director and scriptwriters...

So, your thoughts?
220chrisTian

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 26, 2011 6:29 pm

220C, did you say you didn’t see the full VDT film yet? I think it’s best to wait until seeing the full film before giving a final opinion on Will’s performance. He made me really care for Eustace with his performance. I actually found him a lot more realistic than David Thwaites and he did a great job of contrasting good and bad Eustace. There is some subtlety in his performance that I don’t see when I watch DT. Examples: change in his voice between bad and good Eustace and the scene after he's duelled with Reep where his facial expression changes for half a second after Reep's complimented him on it being a great duel and then his guard goes back up. If Eustace appeared to go from bad to good too quickly it was entirely the fault of the scriptwriters/production team with the terrible editing and plot structure.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext