This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace - Will Poulter

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby Rhindon1967 » Dec 13, 2010 2:26 pm

I agree that Will did a great job. I think part of why they did what they did with the dragon part (making it longer and Eustace helping fight off the sea serpent) was to really sell the character to carry the next film, if they make it.
Rhindon1967
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Will Poulter completely blew it out of the water, in my opinion. I was expecting good, having seen him in Son of Rambow, but he was even better then I expected---which is saying a lot. He can ACT. He brought an originaitly and spunkiness to the character...instead of just being a one-sided brat, or a completely comedic brat. He definetly was the character with the most depth, and Will definetly had the most skill out of any of the actors/actresses there, even though he was one of the youngest.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby pickle » Dec 13, 2010 9:53 pm

I think he was simply FANTASTIC.
I just think he did the part really really well. He was able to convey both the bratty Eustace AND the changed Eustace very clearly.

10000000000000000000000000 thumbs up!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
Proud supporter of Blarghefur!
thanks for the avy and sig, Eustace+Jill!
pickle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 16, 2010 9:12 pm

My best friend and I loved Will as Eustace. :) His voice was funny and was a bonus to his character. He portrayed good with being Eustace and I hope he will be back for the next Chronicles!

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Noticing the details of his performance a lot more with a second viewing.

Observed more his fighting with the last sword (a la what he did with Reep at the beginning as training preparation-good foreshadowing). And appreciated the fact again that he was really good at being bad and the sarcasm and critical disdain in the delivery of his bratty dialogue.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shastafan » Dec 18, 2010 6:20 pm

I remember two years and a half ago when I first read that Will Poulter would be playing Eustace. Even if I hadn't seen him act before, I felt that just like the sound of his character in "Son of Rambow" that he'd easily be able to pull Eustace of.

Not only was he able to do the role perfectly, he was the best thing of the movie! I loved his potrayal! He performed at top-notch skill a brat that's obnoxious and no one likes, and also suceed with the good side. Eustace was very funny, and he added a lot the the Narnia films. 5 out of 5 for him, and I'm anticipating seeing him again in SC! :ymapplause: :D ;)

(By the way, this is probably my most wordy and descriptive post on here. :ymblushing: )
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 19, 2010 1:32 am

I noticed something interesting that may be just my imagination. After the last sword is placed and the Dark Island dissolved, Eustace swims back to the Dawn Treader as a human. His voice in that one shot does not have that beautiful English accent that he carries in both his bratty and redeemed sides. And the shot of him, actually makes me think of Noah Ringer, who played Aang in Last Airbender. I don't think Noah Ringer played as Will's stunt double, but something tells me that shot wasn't Will Poulter. Maybe we'll never know, until the DVD is out.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gymfan15 » Dec 19, 2010 7:04 am

I don't think that if there was a mistake in vocals, it would be a simple as that. My guess is that a scene like that was ADR'd, which was a bit complicated for Will since his voice broke between filming and post production. I was told that the filmmakers just had to use what they had of him, but it's possible that they got someone to dub for that line, or tried to electronically correct it or whatever. It's not outside the realm of possibility.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby check_the_gate » Dec 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Will Poulter *made* VDT a good movie. His portrayal of Eustace was spot on and, with a performance like that, I'm almost sure critics will love him. Which is good...because if people get used to/love Will, they'll encourage the production of SC.

By the way, did anyone else find his voice quite intriguing? It had a classic, annoying brat child quality to it. And his narration was brilliant!
"If you're going through hell...keep going"
~Winston Churchill

check_the_gate
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Dec 19, 2010 3:51 pm

For the most part, I thought Will Poulter was great as Eustace. There were moments where I thought he was too blustery and spit out his lines too quickly. But would I be happy to have him as Eustace in the next two stories with Eustace? Yes, definitely. :)
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I think the rapidity was all part of making Eustace extra bratty/temper tantrum-my, especially in the scene where he faints at the talking minotaur. It just shows how upset he is to be taken out of his comfort zone.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 20, 2010 7:29 am

I hope he gets an Oscar award for being a great actor in VDT. :ymapplause:

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shastafan » Dec 20, 2010 9:38 am

By the way, did any of you guys grin when you heard Edmund say a line that sounds oddly familiar to the first line of the book: "Yeah, instead we're stuck with Eustace Clarence Scrubb, is anyone deserves that name." I doubt that's right, but it was a lot like that, and I had a geek moment when I heard it! :D

Also, yeah, Will deserves an Oscar or some kind of reward for his role, because there's no one else that were in movies this year who did his role so significantly! ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Dec 20, 2010 3:04 pm

At first, I thought, "Wow, he is so obnoxious, bumbling, and awkward!" Then I realized, that's EXACTLY how Eustace is supposed to be! I never really imagined the movement and tone of Eustace to be honest, but I thought Poulter was fantastic at portraying the pouty antagonist. I loved him and can't wait to see him with Jill in SC.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 21, 2010 8:39 am

Wow! I am not surprised at what Will has achieved since I knew he is a great actor but I am sooo happy for him in being nominated in the Young British Performer Of the Year at the London Critics' Circle Film Awards!!! Well done Will! You are deserving to have this kind of achievement :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Wow that's great news! That sounds like something he would have a good chance at winning! BTW I read an interview somewhere that Michael Apted had recorded Will's voice performance of his lines as Eustace in case it broke during production.

BTW I think he sounds so different in the sweetwater scene at the end with Reep from the beginning because he actually is such a great actor he changed his voice inflections to be natural and more relaxed as the transformed Eustace.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext