This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace - Will Poulter

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby starkat » Dec 01, 2010 9:07 am

When I saw the movie at a preview screening, one of the absolute highlights of this film was Eustace. Both as a human and as a dragon. Poulter did a fantastic job and was just spot on in his role. I loved the way he transitioned from a brat to a redeemed character. It was quite well done.
starkat

Re: Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby stargazer » Dec 01, 2010 10:11 am

I too thought Will Poulter nailed Eustace. I liked the CGI aspects of his dragon form - and the 'undragoning' scene was very nicely done, though one of the people I saw the advance screening with wished it could have been a little longer. Still, there was the hint that he couldn't do it on his own, and needed Aslan to do it for him - even if there wasn't any conversation in that scene.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby rjefvh » Dec 01, 2010 12:00 pm

stargazer wrote:I too thought Will Poulter nailed Eustace.

Absolutely. Poulter did nail it. I thought Georgie Henley did well too. I loved the scene at the edge of Aslan's Country, thought the serpent battle was exciting and really liked the way they did the Dufflepuds. I really liked the dream sequence with Aslan and Lucy. Most of all, I appreciated lines such as "We have nothing if not belief" and other faith related themes in the movie. Those made me happy.

Things I did not like or understand: How did 7 Telmarine Lords wind up with swords to protect Narnia? I thought Caspian's father and those before him hated Narnians.

Why make a plot where the slaves are an offering to the green mist? Doesn't that almost sound like an excuse for slavery? I think they should have portrayed slavery as a result of the evil that lurks within humanity, particularly when humanity is separated from God's kingdom (Narnia and Aslan). In other words, there was no need to stray from the book on that one. They even could have kept the mist with that storyline.

The placement of the undragoning.

Overall, I loved the movie and the more time has gone by, the more I love it.
rjefvh
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby icarus » Dec 01, 2010 12:10 pm

I don't think there are enough good things that one can say about Will Poulters performance in the movie. Not only did he completely capture the character in the book, but as a standalone performance he absolutely stole the show. I felt the first half of the movie was a bit ropey and far too rushed, but Will Poulter single handedly saved it from being altogether rubbish if i'm being honest. It was almost a bit of a shame when he was turned into a dragon, as up till that point he was by far the best thing in the movie, and the audience was absolutely loving his performance.

With all due respect to the other main stars in this and previous films, he quite simply blew them away, and seriously raised the game for whoever they cast alongside him as Jill Pole in The Silver Chair. I would have to give credit to the screenwriters as well, because Eustace had some really sharp dialogue (especially compared to some of the clunky heavy-handed dialogue that Lucy had to deal with) and i felt they really captured the character from the book in his language and actions.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Dec 01, 2010 2:54 pm

He did the show and he really is what carried the movie. They should include a lot of him in The Silver Chair.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Glad to see my assessment of Will was accurate in this post from the CCD Eustace thread. :D

After meeting him in person Friday at the Beverly Center, I think he will be able to do that. He has obviously grown physically and is very mature for his age. But I also saw in him the kind of "presence" about him that should come across on the big screen. The kind if presence that would enable him to carry a movie in a leading role.

Best wishes to Will P. and hope they do The Silver Chair next with him in it. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby coracle » Dec 02, 2010 3:08 am

Well done, Will! you're a real credit to the film, and I look forward to seeing some more of your work.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby RoseRed » Dec 03, 2010 6:38 am

indeed! :D will was brilliant! I think fans will be hard rpessed to find any fault with him. he played obnoxious tot eh eighth degree and basically just went as far with his character as he could, to great effect! I loved the little we saw of him after the un-dragoning, my only complaint was that there wasn't enough of it!The thought of having him leading the next film, is to be honest, mindlessly exciting!!! :D
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby jyjoanne » Dec 05, 2010 10:53 am

I watched the movie from where most people only knew about the CoN from the films that the majority of the audience don't really know what plot to expect from the film. (given the unique nature of CoN that each book is very different from the others) As someone who has read all the books, I was really excited to meet Eustace here finally but I anticipated the audience would connect more with the old characters so I was rather curious about how they would respond to Eustace. I was so glad that these strangers of the books absolutely LOVED his performance.

While he was supposed to be unlikeable in the beginning, everyone just couldn't help getting excited during his scenes. The audience was so engaged by his performance that his parts always received the most reactions. His comedic timing was perfect and he was hilarious in both physical comedy and dialog. His turning good was convincing and I was extremely moved by the emotions he shown when he bid farewell to Reep.

I heard someone talking about Eustace really animatedly after the film ended and she was saying how Eustace’s her favorite character from the film. How the audience reacts to Eustace is, IMO, crucial to the future of the Narnia films because people who haven't read the books are strongly connected to the Pevensies and the subsequent films (if being made) may have a much harder time attracting international audience with them gone. I am so glad with Eustace here that I'm sure he would be fine taking the lead and carrying the film to himself in SC. On a side note, Will’s growing pretty fast, I hope they would be able to get on with SC fast.
jyjoanne
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 05, 2010 5:42 pm

That's lovely news jyjoanne! Am so glad they cast him. I've just seen the orange clip again LOL. They really had better hurry up though with Silver Chair and give him a huge amount of screentime!

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby RoseRed » Dec 05, 2010 11:02 pm

^ aye aye stateofgreen, that about sums up my feelings! ;)
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Will was brilliant as Eustace! Probably the highlight of the movie (bar the final 5mins which were even better). I loved his comments about the British Consul and how he was writing in his diary so often. They developed his character well with Reepicheep and the Pevensies.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby narnian1 » Dec 10, 2010 12:45 am

Will Poulter was terrific! He was a great "bad Eustace" but he was an even better "good Eustace". I really do hope to see more of him in The Silver Chair. May the movie be made, sure it's the next one. They already set it up. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Dec 10, 2010 1:57 am

I think the writing, directing and his own work are guaranteed to endear him to audiences. This means they will want to see what happens to him next - so the studios will be able to market a Narnia film without Pevensies (holds her breath waiting to see what turns up on the poster for SC anyway ;) )
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby lostin1800 » Dec 10, 2010 10:46 am

:D He was fantastic and believable, which for a character of such annoyance, I was curios about. But like many have said he nailed it. Loved the good Eustace as well. Funny yet meaningful. Always thought he'd be good after seeing him in his other actign roles.
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby eustacegirl » Dec 10, 2010 3:13 pm

He looked so cute when he cried before Reepicheep left and when he was saying bye to him. I love how relieved he was when Caspian said he looked being with him and how humbled he looked. I really like redeemed Eustace and can not wait until Silver Chair and Last Battle. They have to be made. He was so funny at Dragon Island when he made fun of Ramadu's Island. Love how he did not get into temptation at Aslan's table.
eustacegirl
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next