This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan - Anna Popplewell

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Susan - Anna Popplewell

Postby edmundrox12 » Aug 30, 2010 4:55 pm

on another note, does anybody remember a while back, right after pc had just come out, there was a GINORMOS debate on susan fighting. who still thinks susan shouldn't have fought?
edmundrox12
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage in Obi-Wan's spaceship along with Liberty Hoffman

Postby De_De » Aug 31, 2010 6:14 am

I don't think that Susan should have fought. In the book it clearly stated that Susan didn't like to fight. She never liked the fact of killing people. That is the reason why she id Susan the Gentle. Of course that is just my opinion.
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Lady Galadriel » Sep 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Anyone who has read the book is going to say that it is against Susan's character, ;) and I don't disagree -- especially when she seems to be fighting very much in a Legolas-type style. Indeed, according to the books, she did not like to kill. She was not like Lucy, who was "as good as a man" (to quote a character in HHB), but was "more like an ordinary grown-up lady".

Susan and Lucy's characters seemed to have been mixed up -- Lucy was the gentler one, while Susan was off being valiant. Because of the book, I wish that it had been handled differently. Lucy might appear to be "only a little girl", but the truth was, she had been an adult once before when she reigned with her siblings and participated in wars. Either Lucy could have fought along with the army in PC, or -- and this idea would have been truer to the book -- the filmmakers could have allowed Susan to remain with her to find Aslan.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby WillMo for_the_win » Sep 06, 2010 6:37 am

I absolutely love Susan! She's one of my most favorite characters along with Peter, Jill, and Aslan. I just didn't like the Suspian/Cassu shipping. I just hope they don't insert that. It's a distraction to the book fans like me! (But I prefer JillStace! Haha!)

I loved the way she fought. I was thinking, "Didn't she ran out of weapons?" throughout the battle in PC. :D ;)
WillMo for_the_win
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnian_at_heart » Sep 19, 2010 11:23 am

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2010/09/18/anna-popplewell-charlie-st-cloud-premiere-pretty/. Here is Anna at the premier of Charlie St. Cloud. I love her outfit!
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

^^ yay! it's nice to know that she has a tiny bit in the movie but that she is still there!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Elanor » Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am

I think she did an excellent job in both of the movies, though I don't like how she was portrayed . . . I can't hold that against Anna!!
I must admit I'm glad she's in VoDT a little, though she really *shouldn't*.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I think in VDT they might begin to introduce Susan's
"going to the dark side".

What with her
going to America and meeting guys
and all the rest mentioned in the report, I think they want to start showing signs of what she will become in LB...

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Valiant » Oct 17, 2010 3:49 pm

^ I'm glad they are starting the forshadowing it.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MountainFireflower » Oct 17, 2010 5:29 pm

It completely makes sense that they would do something like that, Eustace+Jill. This is the last chance they have to do so, as this is the Pevensies' last technical appearance as children until LB. Like Valiant, I am glad they are doing it too.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 18, 2010 7:10 am

though I wouldn't be too shocked if they tried to have her come to Aslan's country just so all the fans could have a happy ending
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Elanor » Oct 18, 2010 9:14 am

I'm afraid of that, aragorn2! Though I enjoyed her better this way, I was disappointed that they didn't show at ALL any hints of her turning away, like there are in the books. And it would be horrid if they had her come to Aslan's Country, so hopefully (sad though it will be) they'll start showing it in VoDT.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Oct 18, 2010 10:09 am

I hope film makers dig deep into Susan`s psyche/arc . Perhaps we will see the beginnings of how she starts to distance herself from her siblings as her faith in Aslan diminishes over time. Also I would like to see the impact of her fading faith and how it affects her siblings. These are good elements for exploration in the movies. The whole nylon and lipstick scene never satisfied me. There should be something bigger and more powerful than that. I hope she doesn`t go to Aslan`s country. I hope she mourns her siblings and the lost paradise. Yes. I know that sounds cruel.

There was a small foreshadowing in PC. Remember her talk with Lucy and Susan asks why she didn`t see Aslan. Lucy says : " Maybe you didn`t want to." To Peter she says : " You weren`t looking." This simple statement says a lot. At least for Peter the desire to see Aslan is still there.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant » Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I can imagine all the "controversies" that would go on with Susan's character when and if LB is released. I just hope that the film makers have the guts to stick to the book anyways.

I think it would be good as well if they explained furthur why Susan doesn't make it to Narnia. I thought Lewis did a good job with it. He didn't say it outright, but f you think about it more, she is just like the dwarfs who didn't WANT to believe in Narnia.

But for modern audiences, I think showing her tease her family and friends about believeing in Narnia, etc, would be helpful. They can show her try to be "grown up" but really look very silly doing it.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Josh » Oct 19, 2010 2:44 pm

To be honest, I wouldnt mind them filming an entire movie about the decline of Susan's life. It would be interesting, though more of a drama than a Narnia movie.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 19, 2010 6:35 pm

MaidenofNarnia wrote:There was a small foreshadowing in PC. Remember her talk with Lucy and Susan asks why she didn`t see Aslan. Lucy says : " Maybe you didn`t want to."

That's what I thought too! Especially when Lucy asks if Susan's glad to be in Narnia, and Susan replies "while it lasts". It shows she's starting to get closer to our world than to Narnia.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

PreviousNext