This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Yes, Lucy should have a suitor and she will.
8%
Yes, she should have one, but it won't happen.
10%
No, Lucy shouldn't have a suitor, but like Suspian in movie PC it just might happen.
25%
No, Lucy shouldn't have a suitor and if the producers have any sense, she won't.
47%
Movie HHB probably won't be made, so who cares?
5%
Other (explain)
5%

Total votes : 60

Re: Poll: Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Postby coracle » Sep 27, 2010 12:52 am

It's not appropriate to introduce suitors for Lucy in HHB because they are only visiting Calormen to allow Susan to see Rabadash in his home country - as he had been so charming when he visited them in Narnia. Susan soon works out that he is not for her!
Lucy is supposed to be 22 which is well old enough to be married, but Lewis clearly minimised the amount of relationships in the Pevensies' 15 long years in Narnia during LWW (HHB takes place near the end of those years). He was wise, not merely because adult relationship stories don't belong in kids' books, and also because his characters had to return to their original ages (8,10,12,13) when they returned, and it was better for them not to have memories of relationships stuff to cope with.
As for the suggestion of Corin or Cor having a crush on her because she is nearer his age? He might well have a crush on her, but it won't be due to being near her age as she is 22 in the book and he is 14.

In LB Lucy is younger than in HHB - she is meant to be 17. She could have boyfriends by then but may not have bothered yet. Once they get into Narnia, she will not be interested in this. The matters in the story are beyond such interests.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Daughter_of_Ramandu » Sep 27, 2010 6:21 pm

I voted that she shouldn't. We already have the Susan/Rabadash and Aravis/Cor thing going on. We don't need more attractions. Although I will say that I am an overly hardcore fangirl of Lucy/Tumnus, but only for Last Battle, not this.

This is the numbers of romance stories on fanfiction containing Lucy:

Lucy/Tirian, 1<-- ew
Lucy/Corin, 6
Lucy/Caspian, 74<---Hahahahaha =))
Lucy/Tumnus, 144

People seem to go more towards Lucy/Tumnus. I think they would look adorable, especially since McAvoy looks so young I think they can pull it off. :)
Co-Founder of Jilrian Club, Jill/Tirian. PM DamselJillPole or me to join.
A proud Supporter of the Caspian/Lilliandil Romance!
I support Laura Brent!
Daughter_of_Ramandu
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 29, 2010 4:31 pm

@GlimGlum: I apologize for introducing Christianity in this thread. [I'm just a bit annoyed that it has to be confined to the N&C board or CRaP thread... :| ]

@sweet: nice dress analogy! I see what you mean. But I don't think Lucy having a suitor would be an overwhelming detail in a movie adaptation, assuming Lucy doesn't return the affection. I just think a suitor should exist, since there's some book evidence for it. Maybe the subplot [if even that much] is an unnecessary accessory and maybe it isn't. I assume Aravis/Shasta is the love contrast to Susan/Rabadash. But I wouldn't mind another contrast between Susan and Lucy. Their approaches to men, to love in general, are very different. :)

@Eustace: I apologize if I misunderstood you. But I still disagree, mainly with your attitude/approach toward Christian marriage. I don't think marriage can get in the way of a relationship with God. I fear you think it can. I think the mind and heart of a married person can still be focused on God. I fear you think they can't. I think a married person can share his/her heart with a spouse and with God. I fear you think he/she can't. I fear you think the perfect Christian isn't married or doesn't want to be, when I think rather the opposite. :-s I'll say more in a PM if you're interested. [Mods: I apologize again, but I just had to say this bit. :ymblushing: I'll try not to bring up Christianity again.]

coracle wrote:He was wise, not merely because adult relationship stories don't belong in kids' books, and also because his characters had to return to their original ages (8,10,12,13) when they returned, and it was better for them not to have memories of relationships stuff to cope with.
Good point. I hadn't thought of this. But I agree with Eustace and others that maybe Lucy can/should have a suitor, but doesn't have to return the affection. I don't think that's too much for movie HHB. :)

@Daughter: I won't comment on Lucy/Tumnus. [-(

Eustace wrote:I'm already disappointed that the filmmakers are going to play up her insecurities about her looks. I know it was in the book a little bit -- but not to that extreme. I mean, she might never have even thought about her looks at all until that spell tantalized her into wanting to be the most beautiful of mortals. Now she's probably going to be turned from a Child secure in God, into some kind of insecure teen stereotype. it's very sad.

I'm glad Eustace mentioned this. Now that we've seen what movie Lucy will be like in VDT this December, what do you think the character arc bodes for a possible film adaptation of HHB? You can also check out my "Lucy's character in movie VDT" thread here in 'cast and character discussion.' viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1925
220chrisTian

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 02, 2010 5:00 pm

@220chrisTian Interesting thread! And a lot of good points added, by the way. I know we are not supposed to discuss biblical things here, but please excuse me for remarking that most people, including the biblical ones, who lived during the Roman Empire, would be somewhat bemused at today's media inspired ideas of romance and shipping. Many if not most marriages were arranged in those days, you see, and how the ''happy'' couple felt themselves wasn't taken into account all that much.

C.S.Lewis, himself, in HHB shows clearly how horrible it is to be forced into such a marriage, and what it might be like for someone as young as Aravis, or even for a 'grown up lady' like Susan. As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, Lucy wouldn't stand for it, though Lazaraleen was able to make the best of it with her obsessions with clothes and parties.

narnian_at_heart wrote:I've voted no and if the producers have any sense they won't put it in.

There is a chance they'll make her have a romance but since they already have Susadash ( :p ;)) ), they really don't need another romance.

Quite so! =)) And I'm backing Susadash all the way to allay the suspicion of Susaspian. :D I've a more complex reason for not showing Lucy having suitors. C.S.Lewis did say that all the princes wished that Lucy would be their Queen, and he did portray Corin just as your average 14 year old boy who has had a happy and almost indulged existence at Anvard, to contrast him with Shasta's outlook on life. And that isn't balderdash. =))

Of course a 14 year old boy would relate much better to Lucy than to someone like Susan, a grown-up lady. Lucy, both emotionally and in actual age would be so much closer to Corin's own stage of development, even as a 22 year old in Narnia. But like the rest of you I don't think it is any sort of reason to couple them up. C.S.Lewis made a similar point tacitly when he emphasized that whilst Bree and Hwin both got married they didn't marry each other. Even though they always remained friends, marriage didn't automatically follow.

Also, I think that other than Corin's admiration, the way Lucy would be seen by many, would be as someone to whom they felt a great deal of friendship, and would happily give to her their unequivocal and unswerving loyalty, regardless of whether or not they felt close enough to her to want to marry her and be her devoted consort. Possible suitors for Lucy in my opinion would be people like the Lords at King Lune's court or Lord Peridan, who was Edmund's second in charge at the battle of Anvard. That is, if they were let alone long enough to get together, which wasn't going to happen. This is the way I agree that Lucy's character would be ruined in a film of her having romances, that it would ruin the points about marriage C.S.Lewis was making in this book.

That is in sharp contrast to Susan, who got so horribly confused over Rabadash's flattery and attentions. Rabadash expected Queen Susan to be his consort, not the other way around. And what Rabadash expected to get out of a marriage with Queen Susan in the first flush of her beauty, was the chance to dominate and own Narnia as an adjunct to Calormen with a passably good looking wife he could boss around to her brothers' detriment.

Coracle wrote: He was wise, not merely because adult relationship stories don't belong in kids' books, and also because his characters had to return to their original ages (8,10,12,13) when they returned, and it was better for them not to have memories of relationships stuff to cope with

Hear! Hear! Do you know, I think that Susan in HHB is still playing at what she perceives as being grown up, so that in LB we shouldn't be so surprised that she dismisses Eustace by saying 'fancy your remembering those games we used to play as children'. The trouble is with this particular episode of her Narnian experience is that its consequences were so very realistically grown up, and in some ways I think that even in PC, the film at any rate, Susan could be seen as still reaping the consequences with that Susaspian episode.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant » Oct 03, 2010 8:01 am

There is nothing wrong in having Lucy have a suitor. Its just that I don't think it would be needed in the film. Anyways it would make sense if she didn't have one and Susan did as to why she feels bad about herself in VDT. Maybe admiration for her skill in battle and bravery would eb appropriate.

I wouldn't care if they did find a good way to put it in. But if its just thrown into the movie for the sake of having it there, then I wouldn't like it.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 10, 2010 10:37 am

I don't think Lucy should have a, because we only see her in the battle and it's aftermath, it would just weigh down the story to add a another romance especially since it is not in the book.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialover4 » Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Maybe it could be so a boy has a huge crush on her but she's not interested...that might be kind of funny to watch.
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Eustace » Oct 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I think it would distract from the story if Lucy had a suitor. But I am not going to rule out that they will not do it because they did do Suspian. I guess I could see how they could put in suitor for her and make him help them escape or be fighting on their side, but I think it would better if they did not. Plus, it would add to the whole thing of Susan is the prettiest of the family theme even in Narnia. Also, in the book LWW, you got the feeling Lucy didn't have many suitors because they didn't mention any for her but they mentioned lots for Susan.Although, I can see them adding that Corin has a crush on Lucy, they could even have the boy that made fun of Susan in the book make fun of Lucy.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant » Oct 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Unless Lucy has a bigger part in the movie version, I don't see how they would fit one in. There will be so many things to take care of in the movie, where would something like this go?
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 23, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't want Lucy having a suitor reason being; Susan likes Rabadash then she dislikes him. You know the crew members are going to throw in a romance between Cor and Aravis in the middle of the film somewhere. No More Romance Please! Also the only person I see Lucy with is Tumnus for Last Battle like Daughter_of_Ramandu sees it.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Oct 24, 2010 10:27 am

DamselJillPole wrote:Also the only person I see Lucy with is Tumnus for Last Battle like Daughter_of_Ramandu sees it.

Um, Tumnus is like 20 years older than Lucy. And he's also part goat. That doesnt seem creepy to you at all?
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 31, 2010 12:58 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I don't want Lucy having a suitor reason being; Susan likes Rabadash then she dislikes him. You know the crew members are going to throw in a romance between Cor and Aravis in the middle of the film somewhere.

Correction, there will be a romance between Cor and Aravis at the end of the film. It starts when Shasta goes back to defend Aravis and the horses against Aslan. It grows when Aravis is worried for Shasta at the battle of Anvard, and it is all but written in the closing credits when Aravis apologises for her behaviour to Shasta when as Cor he comes back to invite her to live at Anvard with himself and his new-found family. It just needs time for them to grow up enough emotionally, so they can learn how to make up after their many disagreements.

This is something Susan and Rabadash would never be able to do. As for Lucy, you know she, too, has to go back home before she can return to Narnia.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 01, 2010 1:50 pm

^ As if Hollywood is going to pass by a chance for expanding Cor and Aravis' romance from book to screen. There's a 99.9% chance that the romance will expand for the film. Lucy isn't even in this story as much and her character is better off without a suitor.

Josh That is my opinion and plus she is older in LB, I also don't feel like discussing pairings at all in here.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby BlackCountry » Nov 15, 2010 1:21 am

Not necessary if she already has a small role in the book. And seeing that the kids may still be young by the time the film ever comes out, maybe we'll see their Adult counterparts again like on LWW. Georgie's big sister is gorgeous!!!
"I'm an Alien, I'm a legal Alien, I'm a New Zealander in Perth!"
BlackCountry
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 10, 2010 10:16 am

I see I agree w/ most of yall. Lucy doesn't need a suitor. Susadash and Aracor is enough! :-o
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravis Narnia » Dec 18, 2010 8:49 pm

No, she should not. It would detract from the at least two other romantic plots. It would be way too much red herring and tangent. They need to focus on Aravis x Cor and on the futile attempts of Rabadash to court Susan.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext