This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Yes, Lucy should have a suitor and she will.
8%
Yes, she should have one, but it won't happen.
10%
No, Lucy shouldn't have a suitor, but like Suspian in movie PC it just might happen.
25%
No, Lucy shouldn't have a suitor and if the producers have any sense, she won't.
47%
Movie HHB probably won't be made, so who cares?
5%
Other (explain)
5%

Total votes : 60

Poll: Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

If The Horse and His Boy is adapted for the screen, should Queen Lucy have a suitor? Queen Susan does -- Rabadash. And let's not forget the romance of Aravis and Shasta. ;)

Narnia fans, vote!
220chrisTian

Re: Poll: Movie HHB - What about...

Postby Adeona » Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

While it is quite possible that Queen Lucy did have a suitor by this point in the Pevensies' reign, I doubt the movie would allow for any real development of the possiblity. After all, if they stay true to the book, Lucy won't even show up until the end. Though I will not be at all surprised if they try to fit her in earlier -or even Peter!

I guess I wouldn't mind too much if Lucy is given a suitor, as long as their plot thread doesn't distract/detract unduly from the canon threads.

220Christian, I hope you don't mind me bringing this up on your Lucy-oriented topic ( :ymblushing: ), but if Lucy might have a suitor, what about Edmund? Should he have a young lady friend? Or Peter, if they add him to the movie? After all, they are both older then Lucy and thus perhaps more likely to be romantically involved? I do NOT want every single Pevensie to have an S/O, but I'm just pointing out that the film makers do have a lot of different options for HHB!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Re: Poll: Movie HHB - Should/will Queen Lucy have a suitor?

Postby Josh » Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I seriously doubt the filmakers would have Lucy fall in love with someone who wasnt even in the books. And there is just too much other stuff in the HaHB going on to be focusing on Lucy anyway, especially her relationships.

Though if she were to have a suitor, I'd have him only appear for like 20 seconds on camera, just to let us know that some men want to marry Lucy and that she hasnt accepted.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnialover4 » Sep 11, 2010 11:06 am

It might be more suitable for the three older siblings to have suitors, at least Susan and Peter. It might be cute for Edmund to have a crush on someone too :) Not necessarily a suitor, just a best friend or crush.
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Adeona » Sep 11, 2010 11:54 am

I wouldn't want all three older siblings to have a "S/O" (for lack of more encompassing term). One very, very minor (Josh's suggestion is just about right) romance in the background is all I would be able to handle. And I hope by then that Edmund will be beyond having juvenile crushes. =; If we must have it, lets go ahead and make it real.
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Here are my thoughts.

1. Suspian wasn't in book PC but the film had it. Why not a similar plotline or two in movie HHB? ;)
2. Book HHB has Susan/Rabadash (he wishes) and Aravis and Shasta. So it is more romance-oriented than other books in the series.
3. I'm sure Lucy is older in book HHB. So will Georgie Henley be, by the time they make the movie (if they do). ;)

If Lucy might have a suitor, what about Edmund? Should he have a young lady friend? Or Peter, if they add him to the movie?

@Adeona: interesting point! Maybe I should change the question and create a new poll? :-\

@Josh: just 20 seconds, eh? :p

So maybe we need to ask some more basic book-to-film questions first?

1. How old are the Pevensies in HHB, according to a Narnian timeline?
2. Is it plausible for them to have suitors at this point? [Surely they all would if they're of marriageable age and good-looking. ;) ]
3. How much "cameo" time do they get in book HHB?
4. What do you want a movie version of HHB to look like, in plot and character? Should the Pevensies get more screen time or less?
220chrisTian

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 11, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't really care, so I chose "other". If she has one, I'm not going to freak out. If she doesn't, I'm certainly not going to complain.

I've never really thought of her as a main character by any means in HAHB, so even if she does/doesn't it shouldn't be a huge plot point.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 11, 2010 3:06 pm

@Valiant: Lucy may not be a major character in HHB. But Peter wasn't really one in PC and yet Disney gave him almost the same screen time as Caspian. Anything is possible. ;)

I'm just curious as to how human romance will (and should) be portrayed in a film version of HHB: the good, the bad, the ugly. Will it be just Aravis/Shasta and Susan/Rabadash? Or will the production do more with it?
220chrisTian

Postby Adeona » Sep 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for understanding about my post, 220ChrisTian!

And I agree that HHB is the most romance-oriented of the Chronicles - probably the only one that is at all besides VDT. Oh, I guess you could count SC, too.

To your questions:

1. Pevensie Ages: according to the NWeb character profiles, HHB takes place
~ one year before their return to England. Pete is 27, Su 26, Ed 24, and Lu 22 years old.
2. At their ages, and as Kings and Queens, it is very likely that each of the four had at least suitor. (what on earth do you call a female suitor?!)
3. Peter is never seen, Susan and especially Edmund are in the story enough to support a minor romance. Lucy has probably as much time as Susan does in the book - Susan is seen at Tashbaan, Lucy in Archenland. (thought I'd better spoiler that just in case!)
4. I wouldn't mind a little more screentime for the Pevensies in the movie. But I'm not sure if I'd want to see Peter or not! And I don't want to see all the Pevensies at Tashbaan.
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 11, 2010 3:34 pm

@Adeona: interesting information on HHB, the kings and queens' ages, and their "screen" time. Thanks! [Cause I really didn't know. :ymblushing: ]

I'd love to see at least Edmund and Lucy have "suitors," whatever the right word is. :p
220chrisTian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 11, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm not really sure where Lucy having a suitor would fit in with HHB. There's already Aravis/Shasta, and Susan/Rabadash, so having a suitor for her as well would seem kind of like overkill to me. At any rate, at this point I don't see where it would fit into the plot, unless Rabadash has a brother (the name Balderdash seems fitting ;)) ) or something along those lines.

To some degree, though, I think Susan being the one with most of the suitors is an important plot element, based on Lucy's later insecurities about beauty.

I think Prince Corin having a crush on her could potentially offer some comedic relief, though. ;))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 12, 2010 3:08 pm

@Rose-Tree: comedic relief, eh? Lol! Yet I'm a bit confused. Corin could have a crush on whom, Lucy or Susan? :-\

I think Susan being the one with most of the suitors is an important plot element, based on Lucy's later insecurities about beauty.
Good point. I just think Lucy/Georgie should get her fair share of suitors ... or something. Susan/Anna gets two love interests in two movies and Lucy/Georgie gets nobody? :(
220chrisTian

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Sep 12, 2010 3:30 pm

220chrisTian wrote: Good point. I just think Lucy/Georgie should get her fair share of suitors ... or something. Susan/Anna gets two love interests in two movies and Lucy/Georgie gets nobody? :(

Why does it matter? It has nothing to do with the plot, and I'm sure Georgie is not offended that her beaux don't get screentime.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 12, 2010 7:58 pm

220chrisTian wrote:@Rose-Tree: comedic relief, eh? Lol! Yet I'm a bit confused. Corin could have a crush on whom, Lucy or Susan? :-\

I'm sorry, I should have clarified that! I posted late last night and I must have been tired. :ymblushing:

I meant Lucy. She seems like she would be more Corin's "type," since she is so adventurous and merry, not to mention closer to his age. Also, if I remember correctly, when Lewis is describing the Golden Age in LWW, kings from distant lands sent ambassadors to ask for Susan's hand, whilst for Lucy "all princes in those parts desired her to be their Queen." Which, come to think of it, would definitely include Corin. Hmm! Might not be such an off-the-wall idea after all. Actually, it sounds like it's canon. ;))

I could definitely understand how Lucy's frustration with Susan being "the pretty one" came to be: Susan is romanced by tall, dark, handsome fellows from exotic lands who shower her with flowery language and compare her to the night sky, and Lucy gets Prince Corin. ;)) Granted, Rabadash turned out to be a blockhead, but you get my point. :))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Are Daughters of Eve allowed to fall in love with Sons of Earth? If so, she could fall in love with Tumnus...

... or that might be too creepy... :-s

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 13, 2010 11:58 am

I voted no, if the crew had any sense, she wont. There's already the Cor/Aravis romance and the Susan/Rabadash thing and if they want to help get rid of Suspian even more in this film then they would stick Susan together with Lord Darrin. That would be too many love stories and this isn't the Cullen family here so ,No. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next