This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Voyage of the Characters

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Voyage of the Characters

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 04, 2010 12:21 pm

In collaboration with Twentieth Century Fox, the Narnia blog Aslan's Country has begun a new series called "Voyage of the Characters." Each month, we'll post a profile on a different character in the film. We also have a character quiz, so you can brush up on your knowledge of the books. This month's profile is King Caspian.

So what are your thoughts on the series? What do you like, and not like, about the Caspian profile and quiz? And is this a good way to promote the Dawn Treader film?

http://www.narniacharacters.com/
220chrisTian

Re: Voyage of the Characters

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Thought the quiz was quite fun, had only a 9 Forgot for a moment Caspian was in Last Battle as well.
It's a good build-up to the movie. Internet is very powerfull these days, it's a good marketing strategy.
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby De_De » Aug 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I got a 10!!!! :D
Although the questions where very easy. I was hoping they would be a bit tougher
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby fantasia » Aug 04, 2010 1:18 pm

They're very nice and simple (and a whole lot better than the ones they ripped off of the wiki...those had too many spoilers!). :)I like them!

If you're looking for really nitpicky feedback, then read on. If you're not, you can just ignore the following comments. ;))

One comment on your quiz which I'm going to spoiler so I don't give away the answer... ;)

Where do Caspian and the Dawn Treader stop first? The Lone Islands.
You might consider rewording the question to say something like Where do Caspian, the Pevensies, and the Dawn Treader stop first? Cause the correct answer to the current question is Galma. ;))

Were these intended to be based on the books or movies? I only ask because they're currently based on the books but it's a website for the movies. I found the brief references to Caspian's nurse and his age of 13 a bit odd from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books. But maybe you intended it that way so people would actually go read them after seeing the movie?

Like I said, really nitpicky. ;)) I'm looking forward to the rest of them! :ymapplause:
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wild rose » Aug 05, 2010 6:01 am

I got 10 out of 10 correct :D Hooray!
The questions were easy but fun none the less and personally I think this is a great way to promote VDT
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I agree with FK. It would probably be better to stick with general comments that agree with both the book and the film. Instead of "when Caspian was 13" you could say something like "When Caspian was young." Also, the quiz questions seem to focus on the books as well. If a person is going to a website because they need to learn more about the characters, then they probably haven't read the books. Thus, having questions from the movies (that don't contradict the books) might be a good way to go.

I thought it was funny that the name "Suspian" made it on to an official Narnia site. Lol

I got all 10 questions right! :)
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I didn't realize there was a separate thread for this so I posted the following on the Narnia.com thread. :ymblushing:
Pattertwigs Pal wrote:It seems just to be based on the books though (It has Caspian's age as 13 when Miraz's son is born). There is a quiz to take. It includes stuff from the book that is not in the write up.Some of the choices for answers are funny. I also want to know who Patterwig is. :-\ (I'm sure it was just a typo, but Pattertwig is a little upset.)

I really like the concept of having a character site, but it is confusing as to whether Caspian's profile is based solely on the book or has some stuff from the movies as well. Personally, I would prefer it to be based only on the movie since it is connected to the movie site (and that way I can analyze the wording for clues ;)) ). I think it would be helpful to state what it is based on. The statement before the profile implies that the answers for the quiz will be found in the profile but they are not all in there. I agree with F_K's nitpicky feedback.
I don't know if you have the connections for this, but it would be cool if with each profile a picture / video clip from the movie were also released.

Rilian The Disenchanted wrote:Thought the quiz was quite fun, had only a 9 Forgot for a moment Caspian was in Last Battle as well.
I had the same problem. ;))
Movie Aristotle wrote:I thought it was funny that the name "Suspian" made it on to an official Narnia site. Lol
Me too. =))
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm

I took the Caspian quiz yesterday. It was very easy, I got all of them right. I'll try the other ones later :D
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I told our site admin to keep tabs on this thread. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 06, 2010 12:16 pm

I was thinking about narniacharacters.com more today and I realized... it's kind of simple. Like Pattertwig's Pal said, if you have the connections, videos and/or pictures would be nice, but a transcript of an interview or interviews with the actors talking about their characters would be nice as well. Perhaps actor Bios could bulk the site up a bit more, or you could split the site in half and compare the characters from the movies with the characters from the books. -Kind of like how on the bonus DVD of LWW, Disney had character profiles and then went behind the scenes and showed you how those characters were brought to life for the film. There's more than one way to describe a Narnia character! :)

Also, since I'm thinking about it, is there anyway to link narniacharacters.com to narnia.com so that correct answers in the quizzes translate into points at narnia.com? I'm trying to think of ways to get people checking into Narnia.com periodically, and while the "search for treasure" game is fun, I think it's beginning to get old.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby joy93 » Aug 07, 2010 6:10 am

I got 100!!!!! YEAH :D This is so great!!! I LOVE IT!!! I wonder if they have added some of the Silver Chair in the movie? Considering that some of the questions are Silver Chair based, and this is suppose to be based on the Dawn Treader :-\
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Sep 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Edmund's profile came out today. Nice job again. :ymapplause:

But I wanted to give some feedback on the quiz for Edmund. There's one answer in there that's wrong....

"Who tells Edmund and Lucy they are too old to come back to Narnia?"

"A lamb"
"Aslan, the lion"
"Caspian"

The correct answer is Aslan, the lion. The quiz is telling me that's wrong and it's A lamb.

Lewis in VDT wrote:"There is a way into my country from all the worlds," said the Lamb; but as he spoke his snowy white flushed into tawny gold and his size changed and he was Aslan himself, towering above them and scattering light from his mane.

"Oh Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"

"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder. And now come; I will open the door in the sky and send you to your own land."

"Please, Aslan," said Lucy. "Before we go, will you tell us when we can come back to Narnia again? Please. And oh, do, do, do make it soon."

"Dearest," said Aslan very gently, "you and your brother will never come back to Narnia."

I suppose there's a possibility that since these are clearly at least semi-based off of the movie, that in the movie it could be Aslan in the form of a lamb that tells them that, but if that's the case, it's not a fair question cause we haven't seen that particular scene in a trailer or anything yet. ;))

I'm also not sure about the wording of this question...

"What item does Edmund leave in Narnia on his third visit?" The correct answer is a torch, and I suppose that is technically correct ;)) , but didn't you mean his second visit?

Looking forward to Lucy next month.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Spoilers in Character Quiz?

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 01, 2010 1:25 pm

The Edmund quiz is now open! Here is the link:
http://www.narniacharacters.com/

There are a few things I found interesting in Edmund’s quiz, I’m not sure if they are official, but it may give us some mild spoilers or at least confirm some things if they are correct. :)

NOTE: I have highlighted some of the answers below, so if you don’t want to know the answers don’t look below. Thanks! :)

King Edmund

While on board the Dawn Treader, Edmund faces what hardship:

1. A fist fight with Eustace
2. A nightmare of the White Witch
3. A sea battle with Columbian pirates

Thoughts: Though we all know by now that the WW is part of Edmund’s nightmare on Dark Island, I thought I would mention it, because if this is correct then maybe the others anwsers are as well. :)

Who tells Edmund and Lucy that they are too old to come back to Narnia?

1. A lamb
2. Aslan, the lion
3. Caspian

Thoughts: Does this mean that they kept the Lamb in the movie? I would be so happy if this is true! :D

What Item does Edmund leave in Narnia on his third visit?

1. Turkish Delight
2. His Coat
3. A torch

Thoughts: If this is true then Edmund leaves his torch in Narnia a second time. :p

Edmund doesn’t want to stay at Eustace’s house, so he…

1. Goes to America with Susan
2. Tries to join the army
3. Goes back to Narnia

Thoughts: Although it was obvious in the trailer that Edmund wants to join the army, I don’t think his reason for it was mentioned before, it seems from this answer that he is trying to get away from staying with Eustace. :p

King Caspian

Who purchases Caspian as a slave?

1. Pug
2. Gumpas
3. Lord Bern

Thoughts: Nothing new here, but if the other answers are correct then I think it is safe to say this answer is as well, which would mean they are sticking to the book and Caspian gets bought by Lord Bern. :)

Please feel free to move this topic if it's in the wrong place. :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Spoilers in Character Quiz?

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 01, 2010 1:33 pm

yeah, I noticed all this! and one thing that's interesting is that Caspian's quiz is almost all from the book, while most of the questions in Edmunds quiz are from the movie.....the ones you mentioned. so, unless you have read all the movie spoilers like most of us have here on narniaweb (or narniafans or aslan's country), then you might not get some of them right.....
this is so cool!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Sep 01, 2010 11:53 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:"What item does Edmund leave in Narnia on his third visit?" The correct answer is a torch, and I suppose that is technically correct ;)) , but didn't you mean his second visit?

Looking forward to Lucy next month.

I asked myself that same question and thought on it a bit. It was his third visit.

He went with Lucy the first time and met the White Witch whlie Lucy was with Mr. Tumnus.

He went the second time with all of his siblings and they became the kings and queens of Narnia.

Then in Prince Caspian that was his third time.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 02, 2010 9:46 am

I got a 10 on the Caspian one, but only an 8 on the Edmund one.

As f_k pointed out, the answer to one of the questions is wrong. The other one that I got wrong was what year was Edmund born. Does anyone know the answer to that? It's been awhile since I looked at the timeline (assuming that's what they used to determine the answer).

I am also extremely disappointed with the answer to "Edmund doesn't want to stay at Eustace's house so he...." If he is joining the army only to get away from Eustace than he's just running away. There has to be another reason for him to join instead of just getting away from Eustace (annoying as he is).
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Next