This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should the Witch in SC be a different character from the White Witch?

Yes.
86%
No.
12%
Other, please state.
2%

Total votes : 84

Re: Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Nov 14, 2010 12:04 am

OF COURSE THEY SHOULD BE DIFFERENT CHARACTERS! JUST READ THE BOOKS, THE WHITE WITCH IS DEAD! ASLAN KILLED HER HIMSELF! X( In fact I think they should cast someone who looks nothing like Tilda Swinton in the part of the Lady of the Green Kirtle just to drive this point home.

Frankly I blame the BBC for all of this confusion, they should have never cast the same actress in both movies. :-l
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Josh » Nov 14, 2010 11:04 am

Maybe to clarify the confusion further, they should include a line like this...

Glimfeather "We believe that she is of the same crew!"

Eustace: "Wait...she's the White Witch?"

Glimfeather: "No you idiot, I said she's of the same crew as the White Witch. As in working for the same cause. How on earth did you come to the assumption that being of the same crew means they are the same person?"

Eustace: "I...I..."

Glimfeather: "Oh shut up! We don't have time to discuss your flawed theories. Let me finish my story!"
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Nov 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Glimfeather didn't tell the story, another owl did :p
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Josh » Nov 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Its been awhile. But now that you mention it I think the owl that told the story was unnamed. I'll have to look it up.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Alambil » Dec 02, 2010 10:43 pm

My view is that even if the White Witch and the Lady are supposed to be the same entity, they are clearly not the same "body" or appearance and so they should be played by different actresses.

Josh wrote:I find it odd that Lewis mentioned Lilith. She's not from the Bible, so I don't know what religion believes in her. I never even knew who Lilith was until last year.

Lilith appears in Jewish texts.
Alambil
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 03, 2010 1:12 am

I think Kate Beckinsale would make a good LOTGK. Need a different actress for Silver Chair.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Josh » Dec 04, 2010 12:21 pm

I wouldnt mind Kate Beckinsale being in the movie :x
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 14, 2010 1:05 pm

I think the Lady of the Green Kirtle is an insidious, addictive sort of being. As a green snake she might be done just like the dryads etc in Narnia, sort of materialising, breaking up and vanishing. Maybe the lady herself might have some of the same quality, whoever plays her.

The White Witch isn't necessary until MN, especially as Eustace wouldn't recognise her. Though I agree Tilda Swinton might have a bit part in SC, maybe stray lady at court, or one of the giantesses at Harfang.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant » Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Considering the fact that I have heard from many people that they are tired of/annoyed by the WW at this point (including people i know who are not book fans), I don't think Tilda Swinton should play the LotGK. Even if they think they are one and the same character, I think it will actually hurt the SC film, simply because she has already appeared too many times unnecessarly.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ajmcrill » Dec 15, 2010 8:08 am

wolfloversk wrote:I voted that they should be different. I don't think Lewis ever intended them to be the same being. In the books their personalities are just too different.

Their personalities may appear to be different on the exterior, but their intentions are obviously the same: evil. Evil takes on many different forms and the most evil beings have the ability to assume different incarnations, which i believe what C.S Lewis was trying to get across in the Silver Chair. I actually believe that the LoGK and the White Witch are at the least from the same clan, if not one in the same being. After all, we know there are extensive threads of Christianity woven troughout the Narnia books and in Christianity there is not several Satan's, but only one, who takes on different forms throughout the Bible.
ajmcrill
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 16, 2010 5:37 pm

After seeing VDT, it really struck me that I was tired of seeing the White Witch again. 8-} With all due respect to Tilda Swinton, who did a great job playing her in LWW, the witch in SC is a different character and a different actress needs to play her.

If they make Magician's Nephew and Tilda can do it (play the WW); great. :ymapplause:

But for The Silver Chair, no more White Witch please. :-q [-x
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 26, 2010 6:46 am

They keep putting the White Witch in the movies, because looking at other successful fantasy film series, like Harry Potter, they want an over-arching villain, like Lord Voldemort, to appear in some way, shape, story, or form, in every movie in the series.
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Dec 27, 2010 8:00 pm

They will have a different character played by a different actress, because Mr Gresham has been confirming this for several years. And he will not change what Lewis wrote, in regard to this important point.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby CharlotteRose » Feb 06, 2011 1:30 am

Yeah...I mean just because she is a witch doesn't mean she is the same witch. I don't think that their personalities are bery similar and where as Tilda Swinton encapsulated how i miagined the White Witch, I always imagined the LoTGK being a lot younger, maybe only in her early 20s with brown hair and green eyes. Tilda Swinton doesn't spring to mind.
Plus, she has been in PC, and VDT randomly and I think some people just want to see the back of her...(The character, not the actress :D )
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby georgiefan1 » Feb 06, 2011 10:32 am

I voted yes!!!!

I think new characters could really help the moive series- have the audience meet some new faces and like them could be good :)
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 07, 2011 10:44 am

I think the LoTGK should be a different person, if for no other reason that the series needs it. Of course, I really wish the producers would stick to the books more anyway. Think about it, what is so annoying about sequels? It's when the conflicts you thought were resolved in the previous movie are all of a sudden forced upon you yet again and you're right back where you started. The series needs a new villain to vanquish. It looks as though Aslan can't get the upper hand over the White Witch!
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext