This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should the Witch in SC be a different character from the White Witch?

Yes.
86%
No.
12%
Other, please state.
2%

Total votes : 84

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 22, 2010 10:58 am

It would seem that having the White Witch appear in VDT has raised the prospect of her appearing again in The Silver Chair. Besides reading comments in news stories about this there is even a topic over at IMDB about it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0980970/boa ... 367561?p=1

I believe that the Emerald/Green Witch (aka The Lady of the Green Kirtle/LOTGK) is an entirely different character and should be played by a different actress. Some people believe that they are the same being (I never did when I read SC) and would want Tilda Swinton to play the witch’s role in SC.

I am curious to know the number of people who support each view for the movie version of SC. This used to be a banned topic :-o so please remember the Forum Etiquette Rules B-)

Thanks. GlimGlum. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby fantasia » Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am

Well I'm definitely of the opinion that they're different characters and I'd be mortified if they cast Tilda Swinton in the role of the Lady of the Green Kirtle.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am

Two different characters. It is fairly well spelled out in the books that they are not the same person, but of the same ilk.
starkat

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes I agree, they should be two different characters since they have two different meanings. But sadly it is not up to all of us, it is up to the film production themselves 8-| .

Tilda just doesn't go with LOGK, plus she is dead now, i don't want to see her in every single Narnia movie, just like we shouldn't see the Pevensie's have cameos in every single movie, including SC and MN. The only time I want to see Tilda ever return again is in MN. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Jun 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I really wonder if they are going to do that though. Have the white witch have a cameo or be the Lady of the Green Kirtle. I just don't know anymore.

I agree that they are clearly different people in the books and i want them to be played by different actors, but I could totally see them having Tilda do it.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Josh » Jun 22, 2010 5:49 pm

I actually am unsure whether or not they are the same. There are actually a few places in the Silver Chair where I get a feeling that C.S. Lewis is alluding to the White Witch.

But regardless, Tilda Swinton should NOT play the Emerald Witch. The Emerald Witch in the Silver Chair is described differntaly then the White Witch. So even if they are the same, the Emerald Witch is in a different form then the White Witch.

Besides, Tilda Swinton is too old to play a beautiful, seductive woman. She makes a good ice queen, but not as a seducing sorceress.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Jun 23, 2010 12:20 am

Wow. For once i actually kinda agree with Josh! ;)

Even if you were to concede that the LOTGK and the WW are supposed to be the same person, i still wouldn't see why you would ever want them to be played by the same person.

For a start, when Rillian is first lured away by a seductive beauty in the forest - first as Josh mentioned you might question whether Tilda Swinton was young enough to have Rillian fall for her beauty like that, but more importantly, as a Prince of Narnia, Rillian is surely going to know what the White Witch looks like! We've seen that Narnian history books have pretty good illustrations of historical figures (as does the walls of Aslan's How, and seemingly so does the cabin of the dawn treader), and of course movie-version Caspian has actually been face-to-face with the White Witch in the Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance scene, so i just wouldn't be able to accept that an educated Narnian Prince would not know what such an important historical person as the White Witch would look like.

Secondly, there is the moment when Eustace, Jill and Puddleglum first meet the LOTGK and she tells them the way to Harfang. I guess its always pretty obvious in the book that she's the villain and is leading them into a trap, but you don't want to make it completely obvious to the movie audience by having Tilda Swinton turn up on her horse and give them directions. And again, you would probably think Puddleglum and/or possibly even Eustace might know what the White Witch looked like already.

I just think that regardless of how you feel about whether or not they are the same person/spirit/entity (im firmly in the "Not the Same" camp), i don't see how you could make much of an argument for using the same actress.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Jun 23, 2010 2:04 am

I have voted Other. Why?

Because it's a foregone conclusion - the Lewis Estate would not give permission for LOTGK to be presented as "the same character" as Jadis.

I seem to be typing this all over the internet tonight - LOTGK is a young, pretty woman, whose sweet charming voice and pretty face are really good at fooling people into missing the fact that she is actually a very nasty character indeed, whose real form seems to be a serpent.

Jadis, especially as portrayed by Tilda, is a cold, nice, unreachable, cruel older woman whose looks have been maintained but is clearly not a pretty young thing. Even in MN she won't look girlish (Uncle Andrew refers to her as a "fine woman", not a "fine gel").

And cinematically, it would destroy the story for Tilda to pop up like some evil fairy in a pantomime - the English kids would be calling out "she's behind you!", and "it's the witch!" as soon as they saw her face.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Reepi » Jun 23, 2010 4:49 am

coracle wrote: the Lewis Estate would not give permission for LOTGK to be presented as "the same character" as Jadis.

By now I actually doubt that :p
The Lewis estate might be the ones supporting that they are the same, who knows?

With all the changes and the recent news story about thinking to include Tilda in ALL 7 movies, they could even have BOTH in SC :p
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Jun 23, 2010 5:35 am

I don't think that the Lewis estate has the right to grant or withdraw permission. They have sold the rights and the filmmakers now have the right to do what they wish.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby PrincessRosario » Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am

It's pretty clear in the books that the White Witch and the LotGK are completely different people. So, yes, they should definitely be played by different actresses.
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and along the way, lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
PrincessRosario
Moderator Emeritus
The Wanderer

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 23, 2010 10:09 am

icarus wrote:Secondly, there is the moment when Eustace, Jill and Puddleglum first meet the LOTGK and she tells them the way to Harfang. I guess its always pretty obvious in the book that she's the villain and is leading them into a trap, but you don't want to make it completely obvious to the movie audience by having Tilda Swinton turn up on her horse and give them directions.

That's a good point, icarus. I would not want moviegoers to immediatley recognize this character when first seen. Puddleglum, Eustace, and Jill cross the bridge and...it's Tilda Swinton! :-o Even those who haven't read SC would know immediately that it is a witch.

I think the first meeting should be one of mystery and uncertainty: who is this beautiful woman and is she friend or foe?

An instantly recognizable "witch character" would be an injustice to The Silver Chair (IMHO). :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jun 23, 2010 10:29 am

I agree with pretty much every single thing in this thread :P The LOTGK and WW are COMPLETELY different characters, besides not being the same person, they look different and act different. They "operate" differently--the LOTGK is all sweet and innocent, pretty and youthful--the WW is powerful and intimidating. I think probably the most upsetting thing that could happen in the movies for me would be Tilda playing the LOTGK.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby lostin1800 » Jun 24, 2010 5:35 am

It should stay as the Emerald Queen. Because that is the way it should be.
I also agree with Josh and frankly am getting a bit tired of seeing the White Witch.
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 24, 2010 8:42 am

I honestly don't care either way :P
*ducks to avoid rotten tomatoes*
if they use Tilda Swinton for LOFGK, then I'm ok with it. if they use someone else, I am also ok with that! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 24, 2010 4:41 pm

I voted that they should be different. I don't think Lewis ever intended them to be the same being. In the books their personalities are just too different.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Next