This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should the Witch in SC be a different character from the White Witch?

Yes.
86%
No.
12%
Other, please state.
2%

Total votes : 84

Re: Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby DearHeart » Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

I just finished reading the Silver Chair of the first time (although I have seen the BCC videos countless times.) If I recall correctly the book states speaking of the Lady of the Green Kirtle "And now they all saw what it meant; how a wicked Witch (doubtless the same kind as that Witch Witch who had brought the Great Winter on Narnia long ago)..."

And later it also states "And the lesson of it all is, your highness, that these Northern Witches always mean the same thing, but in every age that have a different plan for getting it."

So as I understand this the Green Lady was a Witch similar but, not the same as the White Witch. So although the two 'Witches' are possibly related, I don't think that the same actress should play both characters. I think that it would be confusing for those who have not read the book.
This is just my opinion...

DearHeart
DearHeart
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

I think the Lady of the Green Kirtle is a witch from the northern mountains. Your right "Dearheart" they are of the same kind of witch. And no the white witch should not play the Green Lady.
Attachments
cass60.jpg
cass60.jpg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 9882 times

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 21, 2011 7:09 am

Like many others, I voted that the WW should be a different character than LotGK. The book even proves that they are not the same. However, if the filmmakers were really that desperate to put the WW in SC, I would hope it would be a part of some sort of back story of the LotGK, meaning that they are of the same kind, not one and the same. It wouldn't ruin the whole movie for me if they made them one and the same, but I would still be pretty upset.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PuddleCheep » Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

I have faith in Mr. Gresham and the Lewis Estate to make sure the WW is not LotGK. I think the screen writers will still try to conect the 2 together by saying they're second cousins or something.

Oh, why can't they just stick with the books?!?
PuddleCheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Kathryn94511 » Aug 10, 2011 5:40 pm

I voted an adamant YES.

Having read through most of the conversation on here, I have decided to share my personal conspiracy.

I firmly believe that the LGK is a totally different character from WW. HOWEVER, I believed that the LGK and WW knew each other in another world, being of the same ilk and all. So I invented this story, with the help of my besty, about how the LGK and the WW were twin sisters in Charn, based off of what we knew from MN, LWW and SC. They are too different in the books to be the same being, though neither one of them was very fleshed out. Jadis was far deeper than LGK, but she had two books for that to happen.

As to the argument that the colors is too much of a coinky-dink to ignore, I think that Lewis was trying to use the two colors to say something about the characters themselves. Green, which is commonly associated with jealousy, or even vitality or youth, has taken a poisonous hue in the dress. Poison green. Jealous. Young. Lethal. Compare with white, which has several meanings. White is a harsh color, an unforgiving color. Anyone who has spilled grape juice or wine on sommat white knows, once it's there, there's no going back. The lightest stains jump out. While white commonly stands for purity, there seems to be none of this in that character. Maybe that's just me.

I don't mind subtle hints that they might be the same character, but I will cry if they use Tilda, no offence to her (she's a good actress, but NOT LGK material). As there are several places where they make the comments to the effect that they are of the same ilk, and that there's more than one, tells me that there were two. You interpret it how you like. That's what I get.

As to the Tash/one force of evil arguments- in Christianity there are many fallen angels. Our demons. But there is one that rules them all, Satan, the one who was called Lucifer. He is called the prince of this earth. I believe that in Narnia he is represented as Tash, and that what we see going on in the books is only the surface. The witches, Miraz, Shift, etc. are all being used or influenced by Tash. IF the movie people stick to the allegorical aspect of this, then there is no reason why Tilda SHOULD be the LGK. There can be two ancient witchey types. Tash/the devil uses all sorts of tools. Why not give these two the bittersweet gift of immortality and magical abilities?

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my answer.
~Katy~
Kathryn94511
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lilygloves » Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I would hate if they used Tilda Swinton as the White Witch, but it wouldn't surprise me. It seems like the sort of thing that would be an April Fool's joke on NW and then it would become true. I would automatically not like SC as much as a movie if she was still in it. They just want excuses to shove Tilda in the movies.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Jul 26, 2014 11:52 am

Just bumping this as it seems highly relevant again. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 6:08 pm

I think that the Lady of the Green Kirtle is definitely a different character than the White Witch, and voted in the poll accordingly. I think there's a lot of evidence in favor of this: Aslan already killed Jadis, resoundingly and publicly; the Lady of the Green Kirtle and Jadis have vastly different speech patterns; they both have very different personalities and methods for taking over Narnia. Et cetera, but I won't prattle on about it. ;)) I'm always interested in hearing a good argument in favor of them being the same character, though.

There's also a thread over at Talk About Narnia—The LotGK and the White Witch: What's the Difference?—that discusses this question at an in-depth level, so if anyone's interested in this debate, they may want to check out that thread as well. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous