This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Casting Puddleglum

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Casting Puddleglum

Postby Bother Eustace » Nov 02, 2010 10:50 am

If they do Puddleglum right, they almost have to do him part CGI. Marshwiggles aren't just tall and thin, they're ridiculously disproportional. Lewis describes Puddleglum of having a body the size of a dwarf, but arms and legs so long they make him taller than most men. I think I'd be slightly disheartened if the end result we get is just a tall and lanky person, without any enhancement of any kind. Still, they may end up doing it that way just the same; I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I like many of the suggestions here. I hadn't thought of David Tennant, but now that I do, I think that would work well. The only suggestion that I see repeated which I do not like is Johnny Depp. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Depp; but I'm not sure I trust him with Puddleglum. He tends to reinvent characters, which is really great in most cases, but I would like Puddleglum to be as close to the book as possible.

Anyone consider Burn Gorman? Whenever I see him I'm struck by the thought that he has a sort of Marshwiggly face... :p
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Sui-Lun » Nov 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Johnny Depp would be great; he's so good that I just know he could do it!
Now, I had a little thought, please don't take this too seriously. How about James McAvoy, like (if it is that way) White Witch being Lady of the Green Kirtle?
Sui-Lun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Matsi » Nov 02, 2010 5:59 pm

^I don't think that's a good idea. The White Witch being Lady of the Green Kirtle would make sense if they're the same (not that we want her to be ;) ) because they're both witches, but a faun and a marshwiggle are completely different things. But I agree Johnny Depp would be great as long as they don't overdo it...
-sig and av by Kira- Thanks!
Team Hoodie!
Matsi
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I don't know about Johnny Depp, I just can't imagine him being the gloomy serious Puddleglum.
Again, I hope Bill Nighy plays him, though he is a little old.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Josh » Nov 06, 2010 6:49 pm

You know what, while he would be good as Puddleglum, I would rather see Johnny Depp as Uncle Andrew.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Nov 09, 2010 12:27 am

Salem wrote:I always wanted Tim Burton to direct Silver Chair, and one more partnership of Tim and Johnny Depp is welcome.

Johnny Depp is a great actor, funny, have all the caracteristics of Puddleglum.

My thoughts exactly, Johnny Depp would be the perfect Puddleglum. This is just the type of unusual character that he seems to like to play. However I don't know if I can picture Tim Burton directing a Narnia movie, it just seems too... I guess "wholesome" would be the right word... compared to what he usually does. On the other hand SC is somewhat darker than the other books, almost literally (a good portion of it is set under ground, for goodness sake! :o) ) so maybe Tim Burton could be a good choice. :-?? But we can discuss directors on another forum. ;)
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby BlackCountry » Nov 15, 2010 12:47 am

Bother Eustace wrote:If they do Puddleglum right, they almost have to do him part CGI. Marshwiggles aren't just tall and thin, they're ridiculously disproportional. Lewis describes Puddleglum of having a body the size of a dwarf, but arms and legs so long they make him taller than most men. I think I'd be slightly disheartened if the end result we get is just a tall and lanky person, without any enhancement of any kind. Still, they may end up doing it that way just the same; I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I like many of the suggestions here. I hadn't thought of David Tennant, but now that I do, I think that would work well. The only suggestion that I see repeated which I do not like is Johnny Depp. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Depp; but I'm not sure I trust him with Puddleglum. He tends to reinvent characters, which is really great in most cases, but I would like Puddleglum to be as close to the book as possible.

Anyone consider Burn Gorman? Whenever I see him I'm struck by the thought that he has a sort of Marshwiggly face... :p

Your description reminds me of the Marillion song "The Man From The Planet Marzipan." ;)

Rhys Ifans, Stephen Merchant and Bill Nighy are superb choices. How about Eric Idle? Too comedic perhaps?
"I'm an Alien, I'm a legal Alien, I'm a New Zealander in Perth!"
BlackCountry
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Talking Rat » Nov 22, 2010 11:36 pm

I've always been against Johnny Depp playing Puddleglum. Even though he's great at doing unusual characters, from everything I've heard he tends to make them his own, as opposed to following the original character. And we want our beloved Puddleglum, not Johnny Depp's "puddleglum." ;)

What about Colin Morgan from Merlin? He's pretty skinny and lanky and is a really amazing actor. I haven't seen him in anything else, but he after seeing him play an 80 yr old man he seems like he could take on a character as challenging as Puddleglum...
He's not a tame lion, but he's good.
Av by hyaline12
Talking Rat
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Has anyone considered Adrien Brody yet? He's very tall, and is also a very good actor. ;)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 23, 2010 8:32 pm

What about Benedict Cumberbatch? That's the man in my avatar and signature. He's really tall and slender, adorable and unique face. He's a very great actor and would be perfect for Puddleglum! ;) :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Alambil » Dec 02, 2010 11:39 pm

I was thinking that Dennis Christopher could be good in appearance but I don't think he has the right voice.
Link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0160550/

Another person I think could work is Steve Valentine:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0884313/

If anyone thinks Alan Rickman would not be good, check him out as Marvin the Robot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxp1AqWleT4

Hey what about Hugh Laurie? Maybe he's too craggy...
Alambil
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby King Tirian » Dec 04, 2010 1:46 pm

I would actually love to see BBC'S Sherlock Benedict Cumberbatch as Puddleglum! Who knows if Michael Apted is still directing Silver Chair it would be possible, Benedict is one of his favorite actors to work with. :)
King Tirian
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: Having a nice archery practice with DamselJillPole!

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

^ Yeah and there was a recent interview with David Arnold, the composer for VDT saying great things about Benedict Cumberbatch. I so want him to play Puddleglum. I always imagined Puddleglum as adorably young and not like the BBC Puddleglum.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 05, 2010 5:52 pm

^^ Really? How did that come up in the interview? And where is the interview? That would be an interesting casting choice... I think I might like that. ;)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 05, 2010 10:38 pm

^ Sorry to confuse you E+J!! But they weren't talking about Benedict going up for the role of Puddleglum, but both know him from Amazing Grace and are impressed with him. :D

King Tirian and I are hoping they would consider giving Benedict Cumberbatch the role of Puddleglum. ;) :)

EDIT:

Here's the David Arnold Interview, It's towards the end when he talks about doing the music for Sherlock and talks about Benedict.
http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=6554
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby king caspian » Dec 06, 2010 12:41 pm

That's nice! :D Damsel you need to send that interview to narniaweb because it has quite a lot to do with the Voyage score! :)

Benedict Cumberbatch would make an amazing Puddleglum:
http://photobucket.com/images/Benedict%20Cumberbatch/
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext