This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Casting Puddleglum

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Casting Puddleglum

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch looks much too young for Puddleglum I think he should be at least in his 50's, at least that is how I always imagined him.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby king caspian » Dec 06, 2010 1:31 pm

I don't want Puddleglum being old. Benedict is 34, I think that is a great age for Puddleglum, he's tall, and looks the role more than the BBC one did.
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 26, 2010 3:16 am

I picture him being in his 40s...

Although, with all the weird Marsh-Wiggle make-up he'll be wearing, no one will probably be able to tell what age he is anyway! ;))

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lu_valient » Dec 31, 2010 9:39 am

I think Rhys Ifans would make a good Puddleglum if you think about the way he looked in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One.

Link to photo:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3679160064/nm0406975
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby perfect_jill_pole » Jan 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Lu_valient wrote:I think Rhys Ifans would make a good Puddleglum if you think about the way he looked in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One.

He´d be great!
HELP SAVE SILVER CHAIR! WATCH VDT!
perfect_jill_pole
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:for those of you who have read the LWW movie companion book:
remeber how Doug Gresham said that he thinks Andrew Adamson should play Puddleglum? I think he should!

I totally agree! The first time I saw a picture of him I automatically thought, "YES! PUDDLEGLUM!" I think it would be pretty funny to see.
Not only for Puddleglum, but for all characters, I doubt they would cast big Hollywood people (sorry Johnny Depp). In the LWW movie companion book, it says, "In looking for the Pevensie children, Andrew was adamant about finding real kids- not Hollywood kids, not precious child actors, but the real characters themselves." Throughout the films, I feel the casting has basically followed this principle. I honestly didn't expect Keira Knightley to play Lillandil. They haven't exactly casted big name actors in their films, and will probably continue in this manner.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 19, 2011 10:46 pm

[quote="Lilygloves] I honestly didn't expect Keira Knightley to play Lillandil. They haven't exactly casted big name actors in their films, and will probably continue in this manner.[/quote]

Keira Knightley is not Lilliandil :-\ Laura Brent plays Lilliandil. And she's unknown.

I still say Benedict Cumberbatch should play puddleglum. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 19, 2011 11:43 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:Keira Knightley is not Lilliandil :-\ Laura Brent plays Lilliandil. And she's unknown.

I think you misunderstood Lilygloves, DJP. She was just expressing what her attitude was before anyone new who would play that part. The example being Keira Knightley as a well known actress that she had not expected to play Liliandill and of course didn't. :)

As far as Benedict Cumberbatch's playing Puddleglum, that is an interesting choice and one that I would definitely consider. B-) Makeup can do wonders these days. ;)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Group Hug » Jan 21, 2011 12:42 pm

How about Ralph Fiennes or Nicolas Cage? They are both known to play character roles, their names would bring in more fans, and they don't have mega egos!!!! What do you all think?
[img]pevensiesbeach2.jpg[/img]
Maybe we're incorretly labeled :S
"It's what you do with the time thats given to you." -Gandalf
Group Hug
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Ralph Fiennes yes. Nicolas Cage no (for the same reasons why I wouldn't want Johnny Depp).

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CharlotteRose » Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Bill Nighy or Rupert Everett

Bill Nighy is great! He has the right appearence (posture and face) and I think he is a fantastic actor, I can see him as puddleglum and I think that he would work well with Will Poulter... (Even though he was perviously cast as Reepicheep)

Rupert Everett is one of my favourite actors. I Think that he is a lot like Puddleglum and again, would work well with Will Poulter. (Although he has already been in a narnia film- LWW as the Fox :( )

Over all Bill Nighy is better for the role (IMO), but whatever happens please not Jonny Depp or David Tennant! I like them both as actors as well but I just don't think that casting Jonny Depp is a good idea, and David Tennant is always going to remind me of Doctor Who now!
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby WillMo for_the_win » Feb 19, 2011 12:57 am

Johnny Depp can portray the role, but he's expensive to cast him. I do like Brody and I hope his Puddlegum portrayal would be liked by everyone. His post-Oscar career has not been that good since he gets bad projects.

I would also like Daniel Day-Lewis to portray Puddlegum. He's Anglo-Irish, acclaimed actor (2 Best Actor Oscars is the proof!), often eccentric (don't treat his earrings badly but it suits him!), and IN CHARACTER. Once he gets that role he would be so perfect. However, I fear that his dislike of fantasy franchises (Peter Jackson wanted him for LOTR but DDL declined it so many times) would not let him cast in this film. And he's 53, so that means he's a little tood old for the role. But his skinny body would make him good!

DDL's IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

I have another actor in mind. His name's Piotr Adamczyk (pronounced as Peter). He's an acclaimed Polish actor who also has a skinny figure. He's tall (5'11 3/4) and does variety of genres. He is fluent in English (with a Polish accent, but how he speaks is clear to me) and knows the Puddlegum antics. Casting him would be a great thing in Poland not only he could be a new figure in Hollywood but Polish cinema would be acclaimed again.

PA's IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010611/

I also have Viggo Mortensen in my mind. He played Aragorn in LOTR (which by the way, DDL's role supposed to be) and he is a method actor like DDL (meaning he could live in that character from the start till end of production). It doesn't hurt that he's an Oscar nominee, too. But the problem is his age. He's 52 and he could be too old.

Viggo's IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001557/

Anyway, I hope these guys would be considered, and good luck if one of them gets the part!

Correction: Andrew Adamson does not want to get Hollywood kids for the kid roles, but that doesn't mean he wants famous veterans not to be casted. Look at Tilda Swinton. She's known in the UK and few years after LWW she got critical acclaim in Michael Clayton, and she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
WillMo for_the_win
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 26, 2011 7:50 pm

I think Johny Depp should play Puddleglum because he is an oddball.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Mariah_of_the_Wind » Feb 26, 2011 8:13 pm

I think Adrien Brody is just great for the role! Especially with that nose (that my mom always comments on so why am I doing it now?! Lol). Or David Tennant. Hmm... David might be better actually. Either one of them and I'd be happy. :D

Johnny Depp, I don't think would be as good. I mean yeah, he's an AWESOME actor and admittedly it would be fun to see him acting like a marshwiggle. But he'd make the character his own quirky creation...so yeah.
Mariah_of_the_Wind
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

I know I said before that I liked Johnny Depp for Puddleglum and i still stand by that, I think he'd be excellent in that role. :ymhug: But if I were judging based on looks alone I'd say Steven Tyler =)) I don't know that he can act though, I've only ever seen him play himself in movies and TV shows LOL
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 26, 2011 5:54 pm

I can't see Johnny Depp or Andrew Adamson as Puddleglum. Andrew has the correct build but the wrong features. He face looks too happy. I've only seen Johnny Depp in the pirates movies (the first 3 that is) and looking at his Jack Sparrow I don't see any hints of a Puddleglum. Bill Nighy might be good.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

PreviousNext