This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should the Witch in SC be a different character from the White Witch?

Yes.
86%
No.
12%
Other, please state.
2%

Total votes : 84

Re: Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby Josh » Jun 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Here is the thing. If Tilda played the Emerald Witch and if they said they were the same, it wouldnt be the end of the world and it wouldnt ruin the movie. But it would be something I'd be more frustrated with.

They have had the White Witch appear in PC...which was cool. Its cool to see the series's biggest villain briefly return from the dead.

But then having her pop up again in VotDT is just too much. We need to move on.

And I feel that having her appear a 4th time for the Silver Chair movie would just be overkill.

I feel if the filmakers believe they are the same they should SUBTLY allude to it, without ever making it clear.

For instance, when the Witch is trying to convince the kids that Narnia isnt real, Eustace could be talking about Aslan and say "He was the great lion who saved narnia and killed the White Witch".

Then the Lady of the Green Kirtle could give a smirk and say "Did he now? Thats interesting. It seems you children are worse off then I thought, for anyone knows a witch will never remain dead. They always return in one form...or another".
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

omp! I hope the White Witch....

Postby thealienglen » Jun 25, 2010 9:03 am

is somehow the lady of the green kirtle!!!! the white witch was the best villian of all time! i know most of you don't want her to be the "green witch".. lol. i just think she would be perfect!
thealienglen
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Jun 26, 2010 12:32 pm

I am certain that they're different people. As GlimGlum said, they're of the same ilk but aren't the same person. Their characters are different and their methods of seduction are different.
And no, the Lady shouldn't be played by Tilda Swinton. For all the reasons stated above and this one. Not because she couldn't be made to look young (although I vote the more natural, the better, which is in favor of a younger actress), but because Tilda is too recognizable. I mean, not only does she try to kill the Pevensies in LWW, which will immediately alert the audience, but she is also familiar in PC and now, it seems, in VotDT. The pitfall with having anything in VotDT that's in SC is that Eustace will recognize it.
So, even if the characters are different, the audience will be confused because they won't seem different because the same person is playing both.
But then, you know, with the trend the films are taking now, anything could happen.
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ibart9 » Jun 27, 2010 7:12 am

Ooooooh, tough question. /:) I can agree with icarus (see above "June 23, 2010") but we do hear Glimfeather say "some of the same crew". Also, the LOTGK is able to change her appearance... Geez i don't know. I say *gasp* that I think that that issue is open to interpretation. All people have their own opinion. I have never really gotten on a side of the fence, but I do think it would be interesting to see Tilda back in the saddle again. It woulndt neccesarily be true to the book, but i would like to see what would happen. Hey, I' saw DIFFERENT ACTRESS in the BBC! So i think i wl vote NO! (plz dont kill me!) :-s
The One True Teenage Mutant Ninja Warrior Mouse
[youtube][/youtube] Check me out @ ibart9
ibart9
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Josh » Jun 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Which is why I think they should do something like I suggested that hints that its possible they are the same, without making it so clear that it isnt open to interpretations That way they please the fans that believe they are seperate and fans of them thinking they are the same are all satisfied.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 30, 2010 2:46 am

Josh, you think they should try to please fans who are misguided? What if there are fans out there who think Shift the Ape is the WW? Do you want Tilda to play him as well?

I've said this in other places, making the WW the same character as the LotGK is a deal-breaker for me. I'm done with the franchise if they choose to go in that direction. There's no repairing my opinion of the people involved in the franchise if they display that level of contempt for and ignorance of the books. I do believe this is one of the things Gresham would fight them over, since it would be an utterly massive departure from the books, far worse than anything they've even suggested so far.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Josh » Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

I didnt say they should make WW and LotGK the same. And I DO NOT want Tilda to play her. I said maybe a line that could hint at them being the same, thats vauge enough so it can be interpreted different ways...thats not too bad of an idea.

I think maybe it would just be best if they filmed it like the book. The fans that saw a connection between LotGK and the White Witch in the book will probably see it in the film.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby starkat » Jun 30, 2010 8:01 am

That makes sense Josh. I could accept that if they did it as long as it was subtle. I would prefer there be no connection other than "they are of the same ilk" kind of thing, but as long as there are different actresses playing them, something like that does make sense.
starkat

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Hinting at it wouldn't anger me as much as coming right out and saying she is the WW, but it's still unacceptable. The Lady of the Green Kirtle is not the White Witch. No hints, no suggestions, no meaningful whatevers. Just because some people made invalid assumptions based on zilch facts doesn't mean you alter the story to please them. There are probably Harry Potter fans out there that thought Severus Snape was really Voldemort. Should the moviemakers have deliberately hinted that this was true to please them?
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

My opinion is that the White Witch and LotGK are different people, and therefore should be played by different actresses. If I recall correctly, Aslan killed the White Witch. It really would be misguiding if Tilda kept on popping in all these movies, one after another. I mean...she's had her big, bad villian role, I don't see why they need to keep bringing her back to continue with it.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby decarus » Jun 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I am not sure how they could specifically hint at the LotGK being the WW. There is no hinting of that in the books. To hint at is to suggest is to state that it is true and it is not.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Jul 01, 2010 1:43 am

Bookwyrm wrote:I do believe this is one of the things Gresham would fight them over, since it would be an utterly massive departure from the books, far worse than anything they've even suggested so far.

Early in Narniaweb history we asked Mr Gresham about this matter, and he indicated strongly that the WW and the LOTGK are different people, different bodies & souls. They are affected by the same evil spirit though.

Reepi wrote: The Lewis estate might be the ones supporting that they are the same, who knows?
With all the changes and the recent news story about thinking to include Tilda in ALL 7 movies, they could even have BOTH in SC :p

Hmmmm....NO. (you being a teensy bit ridiculous, young mouse? ;) )

Ibart9 wrote: but I do think it would be interesting to see Tilda back in the saddle again. It woulndt neccesarily be true to the book, but i would like to see what would happen. Hey, I' saw DIFFERENT ACTRESS in the BBC! So i think i wl vote NO!

Actually, the BBC had the SAME actress. It's because of this that so many people got the idea they were meant to be the same, like a reincarnation (of course Lewis as a Christian would not have intended this at all!) -and even one misguided person in Harper Collins publishers thought so and wrote an introduction to one of the editions of the books that said so! Sigh,.... /:)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby GlimGlum » Aug 09, 2010 11:55 am

Just thought I would share another quote from:

Chapter 15 of CON: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis wrote:And now they all saw what it meant; how a wicked Witch (doubtless the same kind as that White Witch who had brought the great winter on Narnia long ago) had contrived the whole thing, first killing Rilian's mother and enchanting Rilian himself.

Here Professor Lewis is comparing the Witch from The Silver Chair to the White Witch, obviously demonstrating that they are two different beings but of the same kind. Pretty clear to me. :)

So for the movie, I definitely still believe we need a new actress to play this different character. B-)

Glad most people have voted that they are different characters and everyone has been reasoned and emotionally restrained in their opinions. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby L.M. Pevensie » Aug 11, 2010 9:29 am

Oops!! I accidentally voted "No" Instead of "Yes" TWW and LOTGK are completely different people, if Lewis had an inkling of them being the same he would have said so.
Hopefully when the make SC they can find another Oscar winning actress to play the lady villain and then they can finally get rid of Tilda Swenson. Perhaps Sandra Bullock? ;)

If this Sig is by you please let me know, because I can't remember :-(

"I am going to live forever, or die trying!"
L.M. Pevensie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dinode » Aug 11, 2010 11:15 am

As long as they make her look sufficiently different and make it clear that she is NOT the white witch reincarnate, then they can use the same actress if they want. Also, if Walden tried to make them the same they wouldn't have been the first to do so. My copy of Prince Caspian includes a cast of characters at the beginning which lists all the major characters from the series. Under the heading Jadis it includes the sentence: "Completely evil, she is also very dangerous, even in The Silver Chair." The way I think they should explain the similarities between WW and LOTGK is that LOTGK was the apprentice of WW while WW was building her magic up in the north. How LOTGK became immortal though, I don't know.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am

The LOTGK should definatly be different from the white witch, they are completely different characters. Tilda is a great white witch but to me she seems just too white to be the LOTGK,. And I agreee that Tilda is a little to old to play the LOTGK, I always imagined her to be young and beautiful. I will be very disapointed if Tilda Swenson plays the LOTGK. She's a great actress and I loved her as the white witch, but I hoping they get some one else to play LOTGK, for a bitof variety
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

PreviousNext